Advice for rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, This is not going to be what you expected.

My Brother made the noisiest monster rocket Ever, and it was simple and cheap to make.

Find an old cooking wok, about 15" across or bigger.
Spray inside it with PAM or your favorite release agent.
Lay 3 layers of fiberglass with the weave going in 3 directions.
Trim the edges round.
Glass a 28mm motor mount into the center of it (pointing straight into the center of the circle).
Add a launch lug / tube for a 1/4" rod to the outside of the motor mount. Drill a hole in the disk in line with the lug.
Paint as desired.

Load any engine with no ejection charge and launch.

It catches and resonates with the engine thrust and makes one hell of a lot of noise in flight, but does not go very far and never very fast, it is insanely draggy.

Reload, repeat until you run out of AP. We always did. Eventually the fiberglass delaminated from all the vibration but it lasted a long time.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I have had experience with some smaller engines but I really want something a bit meatier.

What is your experience with smaller motors? How small? If you've only used the Estes A B C or even D or E engines, you need to know there is a certification process to go through. Level 1 (L1) for H & I motors, L2 for J, K, and L, and L3 for anything M or above.

There are many things to learn and steps to go through before you make the "mother of all rockets"

Darius

You have to join a national rocketry organization and become high power certified.

For you location, contact UKRA to find you local rocketry club.

Bob

Back