Estes - (Astron) Starlight (K-32 or #1232) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Welcome to the Estes (Astron) Starlight (K-32 or #1232) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Astron) Starlight (K-32 or #1232) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: (Astron) Starlight: K-32 or #1232

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Starlight (K-32 or #1232) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Starlight Also known as: Starlight

NUMBER: K-32 or #1232

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1972
Designer: Bill See

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 18"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 2 oz

Mfg. Description: Unique Design Demonstration and Sport Rocket

Advanced design incorporates large fin area for exceptional stability. Launches straight up to extreme altitudes, even in moderate winds (but remember the parachute drift you get with the wind). Unique fin design makes it ideal for display, and it's graceful in flight. Comes with all parts and instructions. Engines not included. (Estes 1968 Catalog)

=====

1969 Catalog text identical to 1968 Catalog

=====

Advanced design incorporates large fin area for exceptional stability. Launches straight up to extreme altitudes. Graceful in flight, its unique fin design makes it ideal for sport, demonstration, or display. Engines not included. (Estes 1970 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-starlight%20k32-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog
estes-starlight%20k32-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
estes-starlight%20k32-1970%20cat.jpg
1970 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-starlight%20k32-face%201.jpg
estes-starlight%20k32-face%202.jpg
estes-starlight%20k32-face%203.jpg
estes-starlight%20k32-face%204.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-starlight%20k32-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Starlight.jpg
I fooled around and didn't finish the mid body ring, but I wanted to fly it on Sunday. You'll have to imagine it with a silver ring around the mid-section. (I deleted the lower ring.)

Here is my clone - haven't decided on colors yet but i'm going with either a Red/White or Blue/Gold (HS Colors) when I finally paint it. Outer rings aren't mounted so they may look out of place.

Startlight 3.jpg

What do you guys think of this? it would be 1.2 meters tall 3in class rocket (78mm) for 29/38mm engines 3D printed in Vase mode with complex structure integrated into the design. (light but strong) mass should be roughly 600-800g minus motors. possibly on the lighter side of that range (the slicer has been estimating about 25% too heavy lately) the airframe would be 3 pieces with the rings built in. they would "screw together" threaded. then the fin tips would be glued into their pairs on the airframe (as it stands the fins tips can't be vase printed together as it would create islands) so right where the main fin diverges? I would lop off the entire fin and have it diverge BACK to the rear of the airframe like the front half does with a shoulder in that "edge" then the 3 fins would be vase printed seperated and "seat" into the shoulder on the airframe glued into place.

I used the original drawing from jimz plans page and scaled them after recreating them as simple objects. the only part that might not be true to scale is airframe diameter and the position of the second ring which I require to be where it is in order to integrate it into the model. (the model would split directly at the bottom of the second ring)

Close enough? where is the CG on the OG model? the really big ring is a master ring. a digital "jig" I used in tinkercad it won't be printed of course. I also plan to bevel the fin edges or round them as best I can. "square" edge fins are just not all that elegant at this scale.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 02-00-26 3D design Starlight Heatsink Tinkercad.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 02-00-26 3D design Starlight Heatsink Tinkercad.png
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 01-59-55 3D design Starlight Heatsink Tinkercad.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 01-59-55 3D design Starlight Heatsink Tinkercad.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 01-58-57 3D design Starlight Heatsink Tinkercad.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 01-58-57 3D design Starlight Heatsink Tinkercad.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
I ordered a 009992 Starlight yesterday. Purely emotional buy. I had a K-32 when I was a kid. Finished with a beautiful transparent blue over silver paint job. Cat chewed the fin tips before 1st launch so I trimmed them back. First flight went up, layed over horizontal and was never seen again. Have wanted to replace it for 50 years.

Back