X-ray rebuild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldlizard

Reaction score
I have an interesting concept of a rocket to share with everyone. I acquired a Estes X-ray kit from 1996, and in the process of building, when my one year old grandson "helped" me. :y: I returned from the restroom I found him playing with the body tube and had shifted the fin unit up the body tube to about where the upper launch lug is suppose to be located. :jaw: Here is the best part of the story, Goodwill, that is right Goodwill. Just before Chirstmas my dearly beloved wife and my mother were at the thrift store and brought home two boxes that said "Estes flying model rockets". :w: One contained a huge collection of parts, like from a educators kit, lots of stickers and decals, nose cones, fins, instructions and enough parts to build at least four complete rockets, and parts to repair many more, cost $5.00. The second box is a complete unbuilt Mercury Atlas kit, which my last check on Ebay were going for $300, the cost of this box was $2.50. Also the the Xray came from there also, in a Estes range box with a launch pad, launch controller and a scorpion rocket body, that looked like it had played lawn dart. The moral of the story is dont turn your nose up at thrift stores! :clap:
Now I need to find a suitable name for this hybrid. The extra set of fins are from a Estes viking. It has a L.A.W.S. rocket or R.P.G. sort of look. The pictures of the parts box does not show all of whats there! (See the rest in my albums). :wave:
Happy Flying
James

DSCN1654.jpg

DSCN1655.jpg

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

I agree..found a Sidewinder AIM-9 at a thrift store $2.50, and a Classic Industries Manta-Ray slot car with Cox controller $10.00 at a junk store. Gotta love our grandbabies, I've heard more than once "Pappa, the fin just fell off this rocket".

Latest posts

Back