My L3 build 1/2 scale Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madhatter

Reaction score
Well here it is, delivered 1/19/2013 my Performance Rocketry 1/2 scale Nike Smoke, actually off-scale it's a bit longer in the upper payload section by 6"

My next step is to get my L3 plan off to my L3CC for approval, I will post my build progress here.

image-1056897112.jpg

Last edited:
YAY! Glad you're here Mark, even gladder to see a build thread! Carry on...

Well here it is, delivered 1/19/2013 my Performance Rocketry 1/2 scale Nike Smoke, actually off-scale it's a bit longer in the upper payload section by 6"

My next step is to get my L3 plan off to my L3CC for approval, I will post my build progress here.

Oooh! Purdy!!!!!!!

I am sooooo subscribed.

COOL!!! I was just thinking about a half scale Patriot today...this is big!!

ooo thats a big one :). and with a bit of luck I'll get to see it fly.
rex

Tempting smart alec comment right here...
Naah, this is a family forum after all...

:)

14?

I was about to post "that's what she said", but decided against it...
:) :cool:

Very nice! Makes the Estes one I've been eyeing a puny little thing! I'll definitely be watching this one!

Good luck!

This was my level 3 except I built the Polecat. Good luck.

Where did you buy this kit?

I got to see the kit in person at our club launch on the 19th. This thing is gonna be awesome. I still think the nosecone alone would be a cool rocket at this size.

How long ago did you order?

December 2012, actually MWP is when I first approached Tim on this but because I could not pay for it until Thanksgiving time I had to wait to after the Black Friday orders were completed by Performance.

Last edited:
It's a beast that will easilly hold up to an M and bumpy landings. What do you anticipate the finished weight will be?? I'm hearing the days of 60 pound L3 flights ended a few years back.

Primer paint only for cert. flights is always good luck............Good Luck either way!

It's a beast that will easilly hold up to an M and bumpy landings. What do you anticipate the finished weight will be?? I'm hearing the days of 60 pound L3 flights ended a few years back.

Primer paint only for cert. flights is always good luck............Good Luck either way!

I'm in a bit of disbelief as my RockSim design file reports just shy of 50 lb dry. I addded missing detail and corrected measurments for the RockSim file I found for the 1/2 scale Performance Smoke, I added more detail and weighed measured each component, I used the mass override in some areas where RockSim was underweight from my actual measurments. I also added the added retainer mass for the SCP thrust plate I'm using.

Smoke Dry Weight.jpg

Attachments

• Nike Smoke .5 Scale.rkt
    52.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
50 dry is good. I misquoted 60....more like 100 pounds is old school. Excellent choice on the extended airframe.......just my cosmetic opinion.

SCP thrust plate....I'll have to look that up before I ask a dumb question.

The thrustplate is a thing of beauty. Post a photo Mark!

Thought you were coming out to Bong today Paul? We could have used another responsible adult! I forgot to tell you Mark, I was not able to find a CB bit or a 5/16" end mill in my junk, sorry. I can track one or the other down for you unless you have another plan - let me know.

Yes indeed it is...

It adds about 2 lbs but because I'm using it I don't need all that extra glassing for strength, but the best part is no need to locate drill and tap those 12 holes for the AeroPack!

image-3620453386.jpg

That's a big nosecone!

Interesting to see the fins done that way; in the past, I think Curtis had a complete molded fincan (could be wrong on that).

Any idea what the fin construction is? Is it just a conventional layup, like the nosecone, or is there a core of some sort in there, or....?

-Kevin

The one piece fin can was not an option when I placed the order, which was ok by me because according to NAR fin cans of that type are disallowed for L3 cert builds.

These fins are foam filled with a G10 core.

The one piece fin can was not an option when I placed the order, which was ok by me because according to NAR fin cans of that type are disallowed for L3 cert builds.

Yep, that matches my recollection of NAR's rules.

These fins are foam filled with a G10 core.

Excellent. Should be nice and solid!

-Kevin

That's a big nosecone!

Interesting to see the fins done that way; in the past, I think Curtis had a complete molded fincan (could be wrong on that).

Any idea what the fin construction is? Is it just a conventional layup, like the nosecone, or is there a core of some sort in there, or....?

-Kevin

I think that was the full scale.

The 11.5" (3/4 scale) had a one piece fin can as well.

Mark; looking forward to watching your Nike take shape!!!

-Eric-

The 11.5" (3/4 scale) had a one piece fin can as well.

Mark; looking forward to watching your Nike take shape!!!

-Eric-

And yet in talking to Mr. Jurk, the one I am picking up from Wisconsin has four pieces that fit together to become a fin can...

And yet in talking to Mr. Jurk, the one I am picking up from Wisconsin has four pieces that fit together to become a fin can...

Interesting. Most definitely, the mold is one fin and 1/4 airframe radius. Our version came joined; I'd be surprised if yours does not. That said, I would have preferred to do the joining of the four quarters myself, as the fit and tolerances were, uh, not the best!

-Eric-

Interesting. Most definitely, the mold is one fin and 1/4 airframe radius. Our version came joined; I'd be surprised if yours does not. That said, I would have preferred to do the joining of the four quarters myself, as the fit and tolerances were, uh, not the best!

-Eric-

Oh, believe me, I am happy. It makes it much more practical to transport.

Back