What's better than a Polecat 7.5" Thumper?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
A Polecat 7.5" Thumper air-start cluster with a 75mm central MMT upgrade!

013 (960x1280).jpg

Fins tacked in now and moving slowly but surely (from way back here when I first laminated the fins).

Last edited:
It is a great rocket. I have the nike smoke with a 98mm motor.

Actually the correct answer is: A Polecat 7.5" Thumper sitting flight ready in my living room! :roll:

Looks awesome!

A Polecat 7.5" Thumper air-start cluster with a 75mm central MMT upgrade!

View attachment 114845

Fins tacked in now and moving slowly but surely (from way back here when I first laminate the fins).

Its probably a tie but how about one with 5 - 54mm motor mounts? Never loaded all five yet, last flight was a CTI K-815 then airstarting a pair of Aerotech J-250's

Did you get the DD option? Ive flown mine both ways and really enjoy the rocket

Attachments

• Thumper.jpg
    Thumper.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 234
  • ddthumper.jpg
    ddthumper.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 246
  • finals.jpg
    finals.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 245
  • thumper1.JPG
    thumper1.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Nice. Wasn't sure but I saw you had a similar avbay between the fins.

Actually between the fins (pic will be posted later) is mounting for a PET2+ to control the airstart. Dual deploy will be controlled by alts in the av-bay at airframe break point.

polecat_thumper_7_5_3.jpg

Last edited:
the avbay i put between the fins is mostly for the airstarts also but if its flying single deploy then I run the ejection charge wires out the hatch and up a couple of inches to a vent hole.

I don't think you'll have this problem with a 75mm motor but I needed a couple more inches for a 54mm 6XL case so I cut a hole in the end plate of the avbay and epoxied a tomato sauce can in. Looks kind of questionable but its worked for a dozen or so flights

I went back and read the carbon fiber thread and im looking forward to seeing the finished rocket.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have this problem with a 75mm motor but I needed a couple more inches for a 54mm 6XL case so I cut a hole in the end plate of the avbay and epoxied a tomato sauce can in. Looks kind of questionable but its worked for a dozen of so flights

That's kinda cool; the av-bay certainly is roomy enough, with the way the all-thread is positioned at the perimeter, to do something like that.

This isn't directly related to this awesome built thread but; Does anyone know if they still produce the 10" Thumper?
I've been wanting one but, don't see it mentioned anymore?

JD

I think the answer to "What is better than a 7.5 inch polecat thumper" would be "Two 7.5 inch polecat thumpers"!

:)

This isn't directly related to this awesome built thread but; Does anyone know if they still produce the 10" Thumper?

JD

If you go to Jacks homepage his phone number is there. Give him a call I'm sure he could whip you up what you want.

Whats up Hobbies is his business.

Many of the 10" kits have been removed including the Nike Smoke.

Speaking of that, did you pick up your new toy today?

Watching this thread, as I really enjoy both airstarting/clustering and 7.5" airframes!

-Eric-

JD

Im not sure whats up because I dont see him displaying the bigger Thumpers at the launches anymore either. Im sure newer style fiberglass rockets like the Gizmo have had a effect on his sales. I had also noticed they were dropped from the website and I was going to ask at last months launch but I forgot.

I did my level 3 with a 10" Thumper and if you get one you should have fun with it

Speaking of that, did you pick up your new toy today?

Watching this thread, as I really enjoy both airstarting/clustering and 7.5" airframes!

-Eric-

Eric, well lets just say you're talking to one disappointed man! Drove up to Chicago last night stayed in a hotel and rented an SUV so I could meet Dave and pick it up this morning but woke up to 2 inches of snow and Google Maps said a 2 and a half hour drive up to Milwaukee (original estimate was 1 hour and 25 minutes). Since I had to be back downtown on Wacker for lunch and then a Board meeting, I had to call Dave and cancel. :(

Last edited:
Eric, well lets just say you're talking to one disappointed man! Drove up to Chicago last night stayed in a hotel and rented an SUV so I could meet Dave and pick it up this morning but woke up to 2 inches of snow and Google Maps said a 2 and a half hour drive up to Milwaukee (original estimate was 1 hour and 25 minutes). Since I had to be back downtown on Wacker for lunch and then a Board meeting, I had to call Dave and cancel. :(

Bummer! PM sent.

Actually between the fins (pic will be posted later) is mounting for a PET2+ to control the airstart. Dual deploy will be controlled by alts in the av-bay at airframe break point.

Two quick pics of the "what's behind the panel". Just a blatantly simple timer bay, PET2+ w/battery (of course no wiring, battery strapping, etc. shown yet). Some may ask, why did you put the battery above PET2+? Well, with the required orientation of the PET2+ the battery leads would have always been on the wrong end, top or bottom. I decided that I would likely wire the PET2+ just outside and above the panel, so it would be beneficial if all leads were approximately the same length (battery, two ignitors, breakwire switch--which will be mounted above panel), so this was about the right position. I don't worry about the battery coming out as the holders are super secure and there will be a zip tie wrapped under/around radially. The second picture looking down on the intermediate CR plate just to show the opening of the plenum that will be used to feed the ignitors down to the outer 38mm air starts.

020 (960x1280).jpg 021 (1280x960).jpg

He owns the company so if the materials are available, he will get it done.

Jack is the heart and soul of West Coast rocketry.

I have 3" and 4" goblin. Nice kit. I also built and flew the fins off of the 5.5 inch big bubba

A quick update... We are in the middle of the PBS (Pretty Boring Stuff) channel on this build right now. Doing internal and external fillets as we speak. Typical T-88/milled FG/chopped FG combo and embedded dowels internally; mid-cure and microspheres externally.

020 (1280x960).jpg

Back