Another Estes QCC Explorer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwady

Build twice, Launch once
Reaction score
I was inspired by Tarasdad's QCC build so I pulled the trigger on one at Hobby Lobby. This is a nice quality kit from from Estes.

12 bucks after the 40% discount...not bad!

I am doing a couple of mods:

• Exhaust baffle w/ Kevlar/1/4" Elastic shock cord in place of the coupler
  • Modified motor mount

Since Estes will be releasing the 24mm quick change mount at the end of Q1, I am going to wait to see if I can incorporate it into the tailcone to make it a one piece, screw on retainer.

I want to be able to fly D and E BP motors as well as an Aerotech 24mm RMS.

Where I am at in the build process so far:

P1090611.jpg

Because of the Nozzle sticking out of the rear of the QCC the Estes motor retainers will not fit correctly if built per the instructions. You will need to move the motor mount to the rear .375" in order to have enough clearance. The first image below shows how the screw on retainers will interfer with the nozzle. The second images show the entire motor mount moved towards the rear .375"

John Boren

Mount 1.jpg

Mount 2.jpg

Because of the Nozzle sticking out of the rear of the QCC the Estes motor retainers will not fit correctly if built per the instructions. You will need to move the motor mount to the rear .375" in order to have enough clearance. The first image below shows how the screw on retainers will interfer with the nozzle. The second images show the entire motor mount moved towards the rear .375"

John Boren

John,

Thx for the quick reply.

I was thinking that I could remove the tailcone and epoxy it to the aft of the retainer cap.

I would move the mount forward to accomodate.

John,

Thx for the quick reply.

I was thinking that I could remove the tailcone and epoxy it to the aft of the retainer cap.

I would move the mount forward to accomodate.

I would be modifying both the cone and the retainer cap. Looking at the drawings, I believe it would work.

Any of you gurus, please chime in.

I was thinking that I could remove the tailcone and epoxy it to the aft of the retainer cap

If I understand what you are wishing to do, it would work fine for the first flight, but little of the nozzle would be left at that flight Currently the nozzle of the motor sticks past the plastic tail cone because it would melt if it wasn't. At least this is what it did to me during test flights with the motor further inside the end of the plastic nozzle.

John Boren

If I understand what you are wishing to do, it would work fine for the first flight, but little of the nozzle would be left at that flight Currently the nozzle of the motor sticks past the plastic tail cone because it would melt if it wasn't. At least this is what it did to me during test flights with the motor further inside the end of the plastic nozzle.

John Boren

John,

That's why you get the big money :D

I didn't think about the low temp plastic being used, it definitely would be toast.

Back to the drawing board. Still, those 24mm retainers are going to be cool!!

Cheers!

Hello all,

I have had some time to devote to this build and I have tried to capture some pix as I went.

I will tell you that I have picked up many hints, tricks, and techniques from this forum that have made this project more fun and have better results.

Incredible amounts of knowledge, craftsmanship, and experience are available on TRF if you are just willing to read!!

Here is what we have so far:

Balsa intakes assembled with CA and coated with CWF. As per another forum member, I diluted the CWF with water until the consistancy of hot dog mustard.

P1090624.jpg

Intakes are sanded and mouted w/CA. I also am using a baffle in place of the coupler. There is a short lead of Kevlar (it does not protrude past the BT end to minimize zippering) and 1/4" elastic is attached to that.

P1090635.jpg

I laminated 1/16" balsa to the centering rings for a bit more strength with wood glue. I have also used a longer motor mount tube so I can eventually add the new 24mm Estes retainer.

P1090628.jpg

P1090634.jpg

The next shots show the intakes, fins, and launch lug attached and filleted with Titebond Moulding glue.

P1090649.jpg

P1090643.jpg

I need to let everything dry thouroughly and then go over one more time with the diluted CWF where needed.

The weather has been so goofy here in MI that I am probably going to have to wait awhile before painting.

Oh well, more time to get going on some other projects. :wink:

Stay tuned and Cheers!!

Last edited:
Finally got this one done and sporting an Estes 24mm retainer.

PIX:

Cheers!!

WOW...What a beauty! Best I've seen yet. I especially like the red tip on the cone.

I see the PS II Red Max coming along in the back ground.

Thx all!!

This one got me into the sci-fi type rockets.

I really was not a fan until I built one. Now, I'm hooked.

That is a great looking rocket. Can you slip the tail cone on for display? I am thinking that it would be cool to have the cone in position in display, but not a big deal to remove for flight. (Though to date I haven't displayed any rockets really.)

Back