Low Power Launch Rack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have searched the forum and have not found a great build thread. I am looking for ideas to plan a new launch rack. I want to be able to launch 4-8 rockets per rack.

I've built several different verisons of Launch racks over the years from custom "Saw-horse" wooden removable leg rack, short 48"- 6 position aluminum self-contained rack, 84" 6 position HD Club self-contained .125" 3" x 4" alum. rack and a small 3" x 4" x 36" 6 postion Micro-max Tripod mounted rack. With the exception of the Saw-horse rack from the 70's disassembled to reuse some parts, all are still in Heavy Club & youth group use today.
Many have tried using PVC Pipe for small 4 position racks I just don't like the potential for motor damage with PVC plastic units.

below are a few shots of the various racks mentioned. Some I have drawings and Plans for others I do not. Let me know if I can help with additional info for your system.

First Rack-b1-sm_& Range set-up Suitland Md_04-23-72.jpg

MM 6pad Rack mods-a_complete rack_03-28-06.jpg

Narhams system-1 Rack-2a1_assembled_06-19-10.jpg

Last edited:
Many have tried using PVC Pipe for small 4 position racks I just don't like the potential for motor damage with PVC plastic units.

I'm a BAR twice, have never flown from PVC launcher---and need to build a pad to get back in the saddle.
What is the nature of potential motor damage when using PVC based launch pad ?

I'm a BAR twice, have never flown from PVC launcher---and need to build a pad to get back in the saddle.
What is the nature of potential motor damage when using PVC based launch pad ?

Usually minimal if you use a blast deflector. I prefer not using PVC because it is brittle in the cold.

We have 12 rods worth of LPR using PVC racks in our club system. Very reliable, no burns, no problems with temps. We do use blast reflectors.

How elaborate do you want tot get? Mine is a plastic sawhorse that clamps a 6 ft 2x4 on top. 1/8 holes drilled in the 2x4. I move the ignition clips to each rocket as they are launched. Working on a box that is mounted to the 2x4 with wires to each pad and a rotary switch.

Mike

How elaborate do you want tot get? Mine is a plastic sawhorse that clamps a 6 ft 2x4 on top. 1/8 holes drilled in the 2x4. I move the ignition clips to each rocket as they are launched. Working on a box that is mounted to the 2x4 with wires to each pad and a rotary switch.

Mike

Mike,

Do you have pictures?

It's packed up fo the winter, but I will get it out so I can brag a bit.

Mike

What type of blast deflectors do you use?

Both my clubs' low power pad and my personal pad use Ant Caps -

AntCap.jpg

These are tin plates that go on the top of stumps to stop ants getting into houses. I wouldn't expect them to be unique to Australia.

They cost $1 or $2 each. They're cheap and easy to replace as needed :)

Krusty

I'm trying to insert pictures but having only bad luck. Still trying. "I have not yet begun to attach." The quote may not be totally accurate. I follow the instructions in the FAQ but always too large.

Mike

Sorry the pics took so long.
It's just a plastic sawhorse with a 2x4. The sawhorse I had for years, and I still use it as a sawhorse. Drill 1/8" holes wherever you like. Insert rods.

Con: Non adjustable for terrain or wind.

Pro: Cheap - Total cost was the rods. I had everything else.
Quick - It took about ten minutes to make.
Any size - But a 10' 2x4 gets a little wobbly. Make another 8 footer.
Any rod spacing - Close for minimaxx/T birds, wide for D/E motors.
1/8 or 3/16 rods. Just drill a bigger hole.
LPR & MPR - Short (3-4ft) 2x4 for MPR and anchor the legs.

launch002_zps0336862d.jpg.html

launch001_zps48ce7ff3.jpg.html

This was my first one. I still use it most often. Clothes pins for stand offs. I move the wires to launch each rocket.

Mike
(Now we see if the pictures show up.)

Still no pictures!@#$%^&*()_+

What type of blast deflectors do you use?
At CMASS we use 5" diameter 18 or 16 gauge stainless steel disks with a 5/16" center hole. The source of the stainless is from scrap commercial kitchen counters. The lifetime is 750-1000 launches and with a 5/16" hole they work with 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" rods.

For high power blast deflectors we use harrow disks. They will never wear out.

Bob

I have a PVC made one with 6 pads to launch from.
It uses 1 1/4th PVC and I took 6 Estes Launch pads and took the center piece into a 1 1/4th PVC Tee and it fits perfectly
so i have directional turning against the wind.

You can get sawhorse brackets from any other hardware store for under 10 bucks a set. Here's one source:
https://www.drillspot.com/products/...d=1623454804&gclid=CMeMrreAnrUCFcef4AodhRsAEQ

Next, get some 2x4 for legs & the rack (6 bucks), a 1/8 steel nrod spaced every 12 inches (2 bucks a piece) and you have a rack for under 30 bucks.

Don't bother with swivels for the rods. Nobody uses them anyway and it just adds cost and complexity. Make everybody's rocket go straight up, easy peasy. Just drill a 1/8 hole in the rack for each rod. I use a tin can for a blast deflector. loose the ends, slit the can down the length with a dremel tool, bend it to shape, drill a 1/8 inch hole in the center and you got a free blast deflector. Put a grinding bit on your dremel and make sure there are no sharp edges on the deflector.

If you're really cheap and/or lazy (like me!), you can use the top & bottom from each can as flat-plate blast deflectors.

Good stuff. Fade to black rocketry use to make a PVC launch rack.

Last edited:
Back