G-FORCE Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I spent some time and assembled the bulk head. I used 5 minute epoxy to tack it in place and then came back after it set up and used 30 minute epoxy to make a ring fillet. I have a small amount of epoxy clay left so I'll use up the rest on the eye screw to firmly secure on the backside.

I'll clean it up and sand the exterior of the coupler section before epoxying it into the airframe. I'm debating how far up to go. I want to make sure I have enough room for the chute, Nomex blanket and upper shock cord and hardware.

Also I want to make sure I can get my gorilla hands in there to be able to change out the quick link and shock cord. I can do it by feel, but still 4" isn't all that much room. We'll see? I'll ponder this some more.

015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg

Looks good, this will really help with my build. I'm debationg on getting the aeropack retainer and a different chute. I just bought a rail system and received my rail buttons from doghouse today. I'm excited about launching it from a rail for some reason. Well keep up the good build/photos.

What did you order from aeropack afterburners? Just a retainer? I'm still a little lost..And what would be the best chute? I'm also debating on a blanket too. Sorry for all the questions, its really my first "bigger" build and I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Thanks again, Mike B.

Last edited:
Looks good, this will really help with my build. I'm debationg on getting the aeropack retainer and a different chute. I just bought a rail system and received my rail buttons from doghouse today. I'm excited about launching it from a rail for some reason. Well keep up the good build/photos.

What did you order from aeropack afterburners? Just a retainer? I'm still a little lost..And what would be the best chute? I'm also debating on a blanket too. Sorry for all the questions, its really my first "bigger" build and I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Thanks again, Mike B.

No problem Mike

I ordered the following retainer, which fits the Aerotech MMT

RA29L2 Retainer Assembly, 29mm, L2 $27.00

Yes all I ordered was a retainer. As far as the best chute I'm still trying to determine that. I want to wait on getting a chute until after my rocket is completely done so I can enter a final weight into ROCKSIM. Then I can run the numbers and find out what works best.

No problem Mike

I ordered the following retainer, which fits the Aerotech MMT

RA29L2 Retainer Assembly, 29mm, L2 $27.00

Yes all I ordered was a retainer. As far as the best chute I'm still trying to determine that. I want to wait on getting a chute until after my rocket is completely done so I can enter a final weight into ROCKSIM. Then I can run the numbers and find out what works best.

Ok, ill be paying attention to see what you go with. I found a 48" chute on sunward1.com, I'm not sure what's the best site for just a chute. Are you using lugs or gonna go with rail buttons? I'm just curious as to where and how far apart to space the buttons. Sorry to "hijack" your build thread. Thanks again, Mike B.

Ok, ill be paying attention to see what you go with. I found a 48" chute on sunward1.com, I'm not sure what's the best site for just a chute. Are you using lugs or gonna go with rail buttons? I'm just curious as to where and how far apart to space the buttons. Sorry to "hijack" your build thread. Thanks again, Mike B.

I'm just going to use the stock lugs. I used epoxy to glue them in place and the I'll come back and use fillets. I'm sure it will be fine. I just finished the bulk head and I coated the inside with epoxy like I did to the aft section of my airframe. The epoxy leaves a nice hard finish and protects against heat.

I always wanted to get a rail system too. Where did you buy it from?

Try Top Flight

https://topflightrecoveryllc.homestead.com/

I always wanted to get a rail system too. Where did you buy it from?

Kind of made one. Bought a 10/10 102" rail from 80/20 INC. off Amazon for $38 shipped. And a Rockwell Jawstand off ebay for $56 shipped. It works just like the tri-pods Apogee rockets sell for about 1/5 of the price. Ill post links if your interested...

Kind of made one. Bought a 10/10 102" rail from 80/20 INC. off Amazon for $38 shipped. And a Rockwell Jawstand off ebay for $56 shipped. It works just like the tri-pods Apogee rockets sell for about 1/5 of the price. Ill post links if your interested...
Do you have a photo you can post of your stand?
That sounds like an excellent idea.

JP

Last night I went ahead and applied 30 minute epoxy to the inside of the bulk head and now that it's completely I'm ready to install it. I haven't really decided how far up, but I'm thinking 10" That will allow me plenty of room for the chute and shock cord(s) and Nomex.

Later today I need to test fit the pieces together. The coupler where the two sections of the rocket join needs to be sanded some to get a better fit. Once it fits that way it should I'm going to coat the inside of it epoxy like I done with the other couplers. I like the finished results after the epoxy dries. Looks very clean.

001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

Do you have a photo you can post of your stand?
That sounds like an excellent idea.

JP

Yes I can, I actually got the idea off here. If you search you should find it. It wasn't a thread all that long ago. The jawstands nice too because you can clamp the rail and have it vertical, and unscrew a clamp and move the jaw/rail horizontal to load your rocket. Its a tripod too, with means to secure each leg. Ill PM you a picture or link so I don't disturb the thread anymore. Sorry AfterBurners...

AfterBurners, It occurred to me that you might want to take a piece of clear plastic tubing like you can buy at the hardware store and glue it onto your shock cord where it will intersect the bottom end of your upper tube. This will keep it from zippering that tube also. You could also use duct tape, but the tubing does not get sticky and wear down the same way. It is hard to get a piece of flexible rubber tubing a 1/4" in OD to tear your body tube or coupler. You could even do it in two places where the tubing/shock cord intersect the coupler at the fin can and where it intersects the bottom of the upper tube, just for redundancy. FWIW, I do this on a lot of my rockets. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, and then you have to make field repairs and repair the finish. Know what I mean. Best regards, BEAR

AfterBurners, It occurred to me that you might want to take a piece of clear plastic tubing like you can buy at the hardware store and glue it onto your shock cord where it will intersect the bottom end of your upper tube. This will keep it from zippering that tube also. You could also use duct tape, but the tubing does not get sticky and wear down the same way. It is hard to get a piece of flexible rubber tubing a 1/4" in OD to tear your body tube or coupler. You could even do it in two places where the tubing/shock cord intersect the coupler at the fin can and where it intersects the bottom of the upper tube, just for redundancy. FWIW, I do this on a lot of my rockets. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it, and then you have to make field repairs and repair the finish. Know what I mean. Best regards, BEAR

That's an excellent idea. Right now I'm taking a break from it today. I like to have a day or two of down time when building. Gives me time to think of new ideas and further decide on ant mods I want to do.

I've been kicking around how I want to assemble the upper section as far placement of the bulk head. I laid it out in the pictures so you have a better understanding of what I plan on doing.

I figure I'll epoxy the bulk head 10" from the end of the upper airframe. This should allow me plenty of room for the chute, Nomex blanket and shock cords.

The 5" in the middle will be for my Jolly Logic altimeter.

The 4" from the top of the airframe allows for clearance for the nose cone shoulder.

When I'm ready to work on it I'll drill (3) 1/8" holes evenly spaced for the altimeter.

010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg

I believe in a previous post you said you were going to glue the nose cone on. If this is correct, how will you get to the altimeter? Or are you going to secure the nose cone with screws or rivets?

Hey, I thought you were going to take the day off and not work on this? :eyeroll:

I believe in a previous post you said you were going to glue the nose cone on. If this is correct, how will you get to the altimeter? Or are you going to secure the nose cone with screws or rivets?

Hey, I thought you were going to take the day off and not work on this? :eyeroll:

I changed my mind on the nose cone. I'll screw it on. I want the flight data for my Level 1 just for kicks and giggles:rofl::rofl:

I got the bulk head installed. I have 11" to pack the laundry. Sanded the coupler to fit. Just need to do some fillets, body work and primer...

Not sure of the colors just yet, but I'll come with something...any suggestions??

015.jpg017.jpg

My cat likes the rocket....I think he would look cute with a helmet. :lol::lol::lol:

OOH, shove a G106 in there, and that would be a cool flight! With the cat, though, you might want like an H399 or something...

I got the bulk head installed. I have 11" to pack the laundry. Sanded the coupler to fit. Just need to do some fillets, body work and primer...

Not sure of the colors just yet, but I'll come with something...any suggestions??

View attachment 114980View attachment 114981

My cat likes the rocket....I think he would look cute with a helmet. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm thinking blue/white, blue/sliver, or white/gun metal grey. I have the way I'd like to paint mine draw down, should be a little different. Id like to buy a Frenzy from Madcow Rocketry as the next project, you have any experience with them AfterBurner's?

I never built a FRENZY rocket. Are you thinking about building the regular 4" or one of the fiberglass kits?

I built a few smaller MADCOW rockets and have always been happy with the quality of the parts. If you do get one I think it would be cool to a build thread on it.

As far as color I'm thinking about making it pop! I'll surprise you guys you later...:D

NOTE: I just weighed it as it sits without paint, retainer, chute, cords etc and it comes in at 35oz

Last edited:
Just a regular 4" one. The prob is I think I have to be certified to launch it, I think...id like to get it to fly on a G engine. I'm gonna have to check some regulations out..

Anyways I just bought a 48" chute from rocketchutes.com. I'm still debating on the aeropack retainer, I mean what's the big difference between the one given with the kit and the aeropack? Just curious more than anything, I kind of want to justify a $30 purchase to replace something that's brand new. If a response makes sense I may order one.

Just a regular 4" one. The prob is I think I have to be certified to launch it, I think...id like to get it to fly on a G engine. I'm gonna have to check some regulations out..

Anyways I just bought a 48" chute from rocketchutes.com. I'm still debating on the aeropack retainer, I mean what's the big difference between the one given with the kit and the aeropack? Just curious more than anything, I kind of want to justify a $30 purchase to replace something that's brand new. If a response makes sense I may order one.

You don't get an Aeropack retainer with the kit. You get an engine hook. A retainer will allow you to load larger engines to fly your rocket higher and to give you more options. Aeropack retainers are widely used and are the best on the market IMO

Last edited:
Why don't you show him Estes Retainers?
You can find them at hobbylinc for $14 for 2.

Are the retainers that come with the kit these:
https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est9750.htm

No, it comes with a cheap ass metal engine hook. I answered my last question as to why to buy a 29mm retainer. Man, a cheap motor securing system, a weak chute, flimsy nose cone, and my coupler needs replaced also. Its really not that great of a kit to be honest, I'm kind of dissapointed(just a little). For the price I guess its a pretty good deal...

And that is why I love fiberglass kits. After you get through the sanding, they are fun and painless to build.

No, it comes with a cheap ass metal engine hook. I answered my last question as to why to buy a 29mm retainer. Man, a cheap motor securing system, a weak chute, flimsy nose cone, and my coupler needs replaced also. Its really not that great of a kit to be honest, I'm kind of dissapointed(just a little). For the price I guess its a pretty good deal...

I have to agree with you on that, which is why I'm keeping mine pretty simple. Not going to crazy with upgrades. I managed to sell off the chute and get $15 so I'll put that toward another chute, bigger and better. Keeping the paint job clean, but simple. I just want to get it up on either an H or I and get certified. Afterwards I'll probably fly the "G" on "G's" but like you said for the money it isn't too bad. Some what of an inconvenience to fit the parts, but with time and patience you get through it.

I have to agree with you on that, which is why I'm keeping mine pretty simple. Not going to crazy with upgrades. I managed to sell off the chute and get $15 so I'll put that toward another chute, bigger and better. Keeping the paint job clean, but simple. I just want to get it up on either an H or I and get certified. Afterwards I'll probably fly the "G" on "G's" but like you said for the money it isn't too bad. Some what of an inconvenience to fit the parts, but with time and patience you get through it.

Well I agree with you. I got the chute today, and gonna order the Aeropack. The only other addition will be the rail buttons I bought. Well post some pictures of your paint theme, I'm interested to see how good it turns out. Good luck/thanks, Michael B...

Back