I'm SELLING my SOUL due to Tim "Wildman" Lehr.......Thanks man........

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
This is "Car Related" so, if that stuff bothers/bores you.....please check out the thread about gluing balsa fins on an Estes rocket somewhat straight.

It all started mannnnnny years ago.....I came home from the hospital in a brand new 67 Dodge Polara....My dad always said...."Son, i was really looking forward to getting one of those 68 Hemi Roadrunners until i found out my girlfriend was pregnant....so, i got a leftover Polara."

Sorry dad.....

Well, over the years i learned REAL quick that Mopar (If you don't know what that means...revert back to the first sentence.) ran deep in our families bloodline.....There were cousins, in-laws, out-laws etc....all around me running Hemi's, Six Packs, Magnums....you name it....at the track and, on the street....Heck, my first car was ALMOST a 70 Challenger. Got beat to that one by $800 and, a case of beer.....
Those days are long gone.

Well, sometime back i turned 40 and, didn't revert to a middle aged crisis then but.....waited a little while longer.......THEN it happened. I went out and, bought my first new car!

First new car at forty-something?

Yeah.......Oh, i spent some money on good used cars and, trucks but, seemed like i was always dumping money into something up on jack stands in the shop. See, if you never restored a Mopar then you don't know that NOT SO LONG AGO it wasn't like the Chevy and, Ford guys have it. Just open up a catalog and, purchase that part you need NOW. There were alot of tracking items down....cars restored with parts from 10 different states on them....lots of phone calls.....busted knuckles in junkyards...etc...etc....

Anyhow....I bought a Dodge Challenger SRT8......a stripper....just a hood stripe and, soft sticky tires.....why? If you have to ask....revert back to the first sentence.

Its been a GOOD car, quick, not really FAST but, fun........
Sure there's alot of things you can do to make it faster but, i've kept it stock and, just enjoyed cruising with it on some Sundays and, little road trips....

I've always believed that you should drive your precious muscle car.....Sticking a classic or new to someday maybe be a classic in the garage for years to come is one of THE WORST THINGS YOU CAN DO........Just asking ANY of those Buick GN boys who bought one....stuck in a garage for 20 years and, then pulled it out thinking that they could retire with the money they made.....

Stupid monkey.....everything dry rotted.....the electronics are shot.....and, guess what a thousand other clowns DID the same thing.

Getting back to the "Soul Thing". Not so long ago....Tim Lehr took me out for a ride in his new 2013 ZL1 Camaro.....Fun.....really fun....not scary...
Got me thinking......
When Chrysler/Mercedes had the chance to stick the V-10 motor in the Challenger they stalled.....
When Chrysler/Fiat had the chance to stick a turbo charged/supercharged Hemi in the Challenger they stalled.....

Seems like all i'm seeing at the Detroit Auto Show at Chrysler is.....
1. Look at our new "Smoke Package" (dirty wheels and, grille.)
2. Here's the NEW Dodge Dart! (No thanks....)
3. Hold out for the new Dodge "Cuda" with an "Exciting" 4 or 6 cylinder engine!!
4. Viper.....It's BACK and, as expensive as ever!!!

Well.......i see there's Chevy dealer down the road from where i work in Indianapolis and, his website shows that he has a 2013 ZL1 Camaro in Black (yah baby!) 6-Speed trans....(if you ain't rowing you ain't racing)....(back to the first sentence if lost.) POLISHED aluminum wheels.....("Dirty" wheels on cars is a fad that will be gone in a few years........shiny wheels are ETERNAL COOL!)
Tuesday morning after work, i'm going to see what he'll give me for the Dodge.....

If i go through with this Timmy.......I've got some GOOD friends that i used to race with and, they are pretty proficient with "Chebies." I've already talked to them about some "mods." CNC'n the heads, thumper cam, more boost.....little things.
They say they can get 700hp to the ground and, they have the dyno to roll it on.....
Somewhere latter this summer you might line up against a Black ZL1 up at Byron Dragway.....

Remember kids........

Drag racing is on a designated course designed for all out acceleration trials with proper safety equipment in place and, safety responders in close range.
Street racing is for fools on.....duh....streets.....

I've had too many friends (One) killed in a street racing incident.....

Your NEVER too old to have a second childhood.;)

Pulled my 12 sec dart out of storage yesterday.
I am A die hard mopar guy but if I was to buy a new car it would probably be the Ford and that is saying something as I have always hated mustangs.

As much as folks love the tinkering of the old metal....the new metal is faster, more fuel efficient, more comfortable, safer...and can actually turn...

A lot is forgiven stepping on the loud petal though...

FC

I didn't know they had anything other than John Deers to drive out in Tim's neck of the woods. hehe :rofl:

Too bad !

MOPAR = motor parts

HEMI rules !

Love my 2011 RAM HEMI...

Camero ,got to be 68-69 anything in 327 and 396 was cool !

....could never get past that cheesy "Harley Davidson Edition" truck somebody makes......like....really ?

I`ll take the Challenger thanks :wink:

Paul T

Pulled my 12 sec dart out of storage yesterday.
I am A die hard mopar guy but if I was to buy a new car it would probably be the Ford and that is saying something as I have always hated mustangs.

Pound for pound....dollar for dollar.....the "Stang" IS the better car. Just can't bring myself to owning a F*rd.

"Big Bucks"......I'm guessing not much at all can be put in the trunk of the "Camy" BUT, i have proven that......with one back seat down that you can put all this in Le Challenger.

1. One Ultimate Wildman Rocket.
2. One CTI 98mm 6XL casing loaded with an N5800.
3. One LARGE Stanley Fat Max toolbox.
4. One LARGE Igloo Cooler...cira. 1970's
5. Two Hockey sized duffle bags of clothes/personal items.
6. One backpack with computer/electronic equipment.
7. Myself.
8. One ornery red-headed female companion (screaming after entering an interstate highway....slightly sideways...under power.) Whoops...foot "slipped."

And that it will go through 8" of cornstalk....very gingerly of course.

That was a fun three days.

My '06 Charger R/T Daytona (Go ManGo!) is my every day car. One of these days I will get around to modding it, assuming I ever finish renovating the house...

Still has under 40,000 miles! Car accelerates like mad for a 4,000+ lb car, and 65-100 goes quickly...

The Chevy is nice, but they are a dime a dozen these days. The legit ones look too much like the bottom line 6 cyl that can hardly get out of their own way. My wife's uncle has the 2010 SS (Bumble Bee) with custom striping, variable displacement tuned out, cold air intake and god knows what else. Thinks he's putting out 430-440 HP, and best case gets 13 mpg. Has a nice exhaust note, too.

"Big Bucks"......I'm guessing not much at all can be put in the trunk of the "Camy" BUT, i have proven that......with one back seat down that you can put all this in Le Challenger....

That is my exact point!!! When pressed (i.e., my wife won't let my have the 4WD Silverado) I can take my Chrysler 300 (cousin of said Challenger) and still do a launch up right (while driving in luxury)--a (non-truck) Chevy, not so much.

I gotta say I agree with some others as for looks style and comfort of the Charger. I had the chance to sit in a heavily modified 2012 Charger on the way home from Thunderstruck last year and was very impressed with the amount of room in the front seat. It didn't have that plastic feel like I had seen in the Avenger some years before. The stereo was rich and full and the electronics package was over the top.
It's lines just screamed "Think you can beat me? Think again!" I thanked the guy for giving me the opportunity to look around inside. Even with the led light bar on top it looked awesome. I drool everytime I see one now and I LOVE those tail lights! I had a moded 78' Volarie for my first car. Not much to brag about but it said MOPAR under the hood on top of a indestructable 318 that no 16yr old could kill. Been hooked on em ever since.

Id take the SC Cobra if I had to have a 2 door. At least I can fit in one of those. I'm almost 6'6" and I feel like a sardine in the tiny cockpit of the Camaro. You can't even see out of them.

I had a moded 78' Volarie for my first car. Not much to brag about but it said MOPAR under the hood on top of a indestructable 318 that no 16yr old could kill. Been hooked on em ever since.

Along the way.....Dad bought the family a 77 Volare....Midnight Blue, White vinyl top, Black interior....318 2BBL...fun car.

I still laugh now and, then when i see one and, think of that scene from "Hollywood Knights" where the guy is singing VOOOOO-LARRREEEEE!!!:lol:

My first car, purchased summer 78, was a 1968 Mustang, 302, 4 Speed... 70's on the front, 60's on the back. Headers with dual Cherry Bomb Qs. Speepo was broke so it was always a guess based on the tach. I owned it until it went to the crusher in 2005. I miss that car, but I just couldn't keep it. One day, I'll find another....

If i go through with this Timmy.......I've got some GOOD friends that i used to race with and, they are pretty proficient with "Chebies." I've already talked to them about some "mods." CNC'n the heads, thumper cam, more boost.....little things.
They say they can get 700hp to the ground and, they have the dyno to roll it on.....
Somewhere latter this summer you might line up against a Black ZL1 up at Byron Dragway.....

Hmmm. Just make sure you have a clear set of rules for that race. Tim might show up with a couple N-5800 strapped to the trunk of his ZL-1. :eyeroll:

Dad bought the family a 77 Volare....Midnight Blue, White vinyl top, Black interior....318 2BBL...fun car

Ah the Volarie! I have fond memories of the soft squishy suspension in that car. I learned to caress every inch of suspension travel going as fast as I could down my 4.8 mile lake road before and after school. I'm lucky to still be here. This road was paved but had no center stripe, no shoulders and instead of guard rails had drop-off's like 200' bluffs about 20' off the road. It had everything from 20mph hair pin turns, 10 degree banked corners, long downhill 120+mph straits and large rolling hills that when going too fast the car would bottom out on the headers. It would leave a nice trail of sparks in the rear view mirror at night. Lots of fun until you had to put the car up on a lift to re-weld the hole in the headers. I literally ran the crap out of that car and the worst that every happened was a blown torque converter after 2.5 years of teenage driving hell. (think Toy Story when the toys go to the daycare center and get played with by the new kids) It had a Carter 750 4BBL double pumper ported heads, an Edelbrock upper/lower and the sound of the lifters told you when she needed more oil.

What a beater it was. All burgundy inside and out with a vinyl hard top and lots of chrome trim EVERYWHERE! No plastic window gards that crack and chip when you're scraping ice from the windows. It was all metal baby! I really miss that old car.
And lets not forget the tires. They were the first pair I owned and might be the last. BF Goodrich Comp T/A's. Ahh Gus. Thanks for the flashback!

Okay, Let's get you back on track! ;-) Here's a quick video to get your juices flowing.
[video=youtube;XHvKJqWuuLo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHvKJqWuuLo[/video]

BUUUU Yahhhhhhhh!!! MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM MMMMMM that looks nice! BTW, I completely agree. LOOSE THE RIMS!

So you don't like the smoke package or dark rims. That's great. It'll help you get exactly what you want and help set you apart from the few other SRT8's out there.
Go find the one that has everything else you want. Find the right color, right interior, electronics package and so on. Then when you're talking to the dealer, just tell him the truth. You are a die-hard MOPAR fanatic who wants a new, or slightly used 2012 Charger but you absolutely HATE the smoked look, so much so that you were honestly considering buying a Commonaro. It's going to cost you $X,XXX to change/modify the cars parts to your liking. Come up with a solid figure that you can show on paper (on the high end) that it would cost to paint the grill and put custom polished lips on the rubber. Finding 20's to fit around those Brembo's won't come cheap, but then who really wants stock rims on a muscle/sports car anyway?

Use this negative (smoked look) as a positive to help you lower the dealers asking price. STICK TO AN IN STOCK CAR. If you're looking new, the salesman might find it easier to sell you an ordered 2013/14 car the way you want, but the sales manager would ALWAYS rather move the car on the floor plan now, not later. See what the dealership is willing to do to put you in THAT car, the one on the lot, in your hands. Maybe they have a relationship with someone in the aftermarket business who can set you up with a whole aftermarket package, exhaust too, maybe even have it installed for you at the dealership. Any work they do on it for you will cost less because the work is done in-house. Well, it will cost the dealer less money. It's up to you to get them to pass some of it along. When the salesperson asks what your trade is, YOU HAVE NONE! Hold that card till the end of the game.

Gus, you know you'll regret buying anything other that what you've been washing and waxing your whole life. Don't be a sucker for a Camaro just because it's got shinny rims and everyone says it's easy to mod it. Anybody can buy shiny rims and of course they are easy to mod. But EVERYTHING is easy to mod if you are talking to the right person. (even Audi's and GT-R's) Be true to your heart, and your screen name man. Find a MOPAR dealership with a creative sales manager who aims to please. Make the car dealer work for you to earn your business and get the car the one that YOU want, the way you want it.

Here, let me help. :) Here are three used 2012's in Indiana to start with. Go to the bottom of the list.
And remember, your getting older, not younger. It's a lot easier to just open the back door to grab something from the back seat. Don't throw your back out reaching behind the drivers seat restling with the seat belt! :p

I think you should comission a Dodge rocket..Perhaps a Dodge themed squad for your fleet.

Scrambler (44).JPG

I was never a Mopar fan but had no choice when AMC got bought up.. NOW I LOVE EM..lol.. I have always been a bowtie man for the most part,, Hence the Z06.. But.. ya can not deni the mail jeep!

SCRamber IS my baby... O yea..

My red head likes my hobbys, boats, helis, planes and rockets... she also gets VERY... aha hum.. "randy" at the smell of gas (not kidding) Makes me laugh my a@@ off every time I crall out from under the SC/Rambler.. When she says "go fast" thats not an option.. thats a COMAND!

Grim

When I read the title of this thread I thought it had something to do with your Kia...

GUS!!!

QUICK!!!

TAKE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICINE!!

HE'S POSTING THE PICTURES OF THE RED HEAD AGAIN!!!

(I love it when car talk turns into pictures of pretty ladies)

View attachment 114298
My red head likes my hobbys, boats, helis, planes and rockets... she also gets VERY... aha hum.. "randy" at the smell of gas (not kidding) Makes me laugh my a@@ off every time I crall out from under the SC/Rambler.. When she says "go fast" thats not an option.. thats a COMAND!

Grim

:surprised::surprised::surprised: YOU KNOW Redheads bring me to my knees............That's a very mean thing too do to me......

When you can get a woman to drop a pair of "Pant-A-Loons" a hundred yards out with the revving of an engine maybe i'll be impressed.:lol:

Just keeeeding.....Grim and, i come from the same part of *Nordern Vis-consin* it's a wonder we had to run into each other down here in the deep south of "Illiana." That's probably a good thing since it kept us out of trouble during those early days.......:tongue:

The trip to "New Friend Chevy" will have to be put off till next Monday morning due to extremely COLD temperatures, super soft summer Goodyear tires, an hour and, a half drive back to the house after visiting said dealer (Malfunction Junction Indiana is ALONG ways from civilization.) AND, last night i learned i will be on a fast rotation schedule this week......14 on 10 off.......

I would prefer my nickname not be changed from "Firestarter" (due to my field antics.) To "Spindocter68-Tree Hugger" posthumously.....

P.S. Wildman got a good laugh out of this post after i let him in on it......Jackie was roaring laughing in the background for a good part of that call too........:lol:

Just a quick update, after having a "heated argument" with one previously mentioned Tim Lehr yesterday (standing around a space heater in his garage.)
It was decided that "Le-Challenger" was staying in my garage for good....

Buying, owning cars is nothing new for me after 32 years (at it)and, yes i know about depreciation all to well but, when i checked up on the trade in value of said car to go after a new ZL-1 Camaro...things didn't look too bright.

With that said and, all angles looked at it was determined to buy that Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, through a shift kit in the trans, some Viper half shafts in the rear and, a nice new set of sticky Nitto's out back....

Still going to whup yah Timmy.....in your own backyard.

Heck, maybe we can get "Speedy" to run down from Chi-town with his Viper and, do it Chicago Style....
Everyone runs two "qualifying" passes...the fastest two line up for a one run winner takes all bragging rights run.

It was a harsh day standing in my shop looking over at the "Vintage" stuff in the far corner realizing......."I almost took the baby away and, traded it off for a Dog Pie Chevy....." Sorry girls.....It won't happen again.

Nobody likes them Mopars till they cross the block at an Auction.....then they sell big time.....Mine are here too stay.

Sorry for the moment of temporary insanity...........

Gus I knew you would come to your senses!!!!

Just a quick update, after having a "heated argument" with one previously mentioned Tim Lehr yesterday (standing around a space heater in his garage.)

Buying, owning cars is nothing new for me after 32 years (at it)and, yes i know about depreciation all to well but, when i checked up on the trade in value of said car to go after a new ZL-1 Camaro...things didn't look too bright.

With that said and, all angles looked at it was determined to buy that Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, through a shift kit in the trans, some Viper half shafts in the rear and, a nice new set of sticky Nitto's out back....

Heck, maybe we can get "Speedy" to run down from Chi-town with his Viper and, do it Chicago Style....
Everyone runs two "qualifying" passes...the fastest two line up for a one run winner takes all bragging rights run.

It was a harsh day standing in my shop looking over at the "Vintage" stuff in the far corner realizing......."I almost took the baby away and, traded it off for a Dog Pie Chevy....." Sorry girls.....It won't happen again.

Nobody likes them Mopars till they cross the block at an Auction.....then they sell big time.....Mine are here too stay.

Can I play? My Ponti-stack GTFO is almost done, and I won't even use the NOX.....

Manny can play.......

You know what i say about Nitrous don't you?

"Nitrous is for Pu***'s who can't build an engine.....":tongue:

Last edited:

Buying, owning cars is nothing new for me after 32 years (at it)and, yes i know about depreciation all to well but, when i checked up on the trade in value of said car to go after a new ZL-1 Camaro...things didn't look too bright
Heck, maybe we can get "Speedy" to run down from Chi-town with his Viper and, do it Chicago Style
It was a harsh day standing in my shop looking over at the "Vintage" stuff in the far corner realizing......."I almost tookthe baby away and, traded it off for a Dog Pie Chevy....." Sorry girls.....It won't happen again
Nobody likes them Mopars till they cross the block at an Auction.....then they sell big time.....Mine are here too stay
Sorry for the moment of temporary insanity.......

Glad you didn't go to the DARK SIDE. I grew up in the late 60s, Goats, Road Runers, TRASH AMS, Z28s. HEMI CHARGER was it for me. Very very close second was the MAKO SHARK.
Of all the new production "muscle cars" the HEMI CHALLENGER is the one that floats my boat. Then it's the VETT, followed by the MUSTANG.
Of course, my choices are biased with heavy nostalgia.
If I could pick have a 21st Century production muscle car, 1st (tied HEMI CHALLENGER, VETT) 3rd would be Ford GT (my 1st Slot Car in 1964).

426 HEMI's... Junk.
New HEMI's...Junk.
My stock Pacer will beat all of them easily! Ha Ha.
Actually, the original 426 HEMI was/is a great engine for it's time. Building a production engine that put out over 1HP per cubic inch back in the 60's was pretty good. And with a little tuning, it could put out a lot more.
The "new" style HEMIs are a disgrace to the HEMI name, as they have taken a lot of shortcuts to make it and is not a true HEMI. I guess the last true HEMIs were the Chinese 426 crate engines that were made around 10 years ago.
I do like MOPARs, they were never afraid to build nice looking high performance vehicles even though the public had little interest in buying them.

But for me, the best engine to come out of Detroit was made by Ford, the 427 Cammer; it beat the heck out of the 426 HEMI. In fact Chrysler was so afraid of it when it came out, they complained to NASCAR in order to get it banned from competition. The Cammer was a monster, even more so than the HEMI. The key was the overhead cam, which made it better suited for high RPMs. Unfortunately, the cost of building one today would be more than a lot of complete new cars. If I had $30,000+ to spend, I would build a car around that motor.

And I don't like Ford that much... But they had some good ideas.

Last edited:
my Trans AM ram air won't fit rockets but it is a rocket all by itself. I'll leave the rocket hauling to my f350 and trailer....

and I'm NOT a NOPAR guy....seen too many of those "hemi" engines come apart. The best thing is that I bolt on any LT1 vette part....so yes, it's paper cuts instead of spending rocket building time scrounging for that part....

Back