I'm SELLING my SOUL due to Tim "Wildman" Lehr.......Thanks man........

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBSS.jpg

My 450hp LS2 4600lb AWD Grocery Getter
2007 Trailblazer SS, E-Fans, Cold Air Intake, PCMForLeSS Tune, Belltech Lowering kit, Underdrive Pully Kit, Borla Cat Back Dual Exhaust as well.

Last edited:
Now that's overkill!

And with the seats folded down I can get a 10x10 canopy, 3 folding chairs, my range box, motor box, recovery box, and anywhere from 8-15 rockets in there
including the 80" tall Frenzy (broken down of course, unless I want the nose cone on my arm rest!)

It was decided that "Le-Challenger" was staying in my garage for good....

Sorry for the moment of temporary insanity...........

I'm guessing the "temporary" part wore off. The first time I met you you were driving a beautiful new ZL-1 in the middle of a farm with a 5.5" Frenzy Massive and 2 98mm motors somehow stuffed in there.

My first new car was a 70 Challenger that I bought off the showroom floor at Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago. They sold a lot of muscle cars as did Mikey Chevrolet back then.
It was black with white racing stripe 440 six-pack,4 speed leather interior and a killer (at the time) stereo. Salesman said we'll get one ordered for you but I said "no I want that one" so he did and I went straight over to the muffler shop and had "dumps" put on the exhaust and to her right up to Great Lakes Dragway in Wisconsin and raced it. Since it was a new model they didn't have a class for me so they put me in CFX for the day. It ran 13.06 with no mods except for the exhuast.
Some months later I blew up the engine racing it and they (Dodge) replaced it under warranty... try doing that today.

I 'll add pictures of it to this post as soon as I get them scanned. The only ones I have are from that first day at the track in Oct 1969.

Today I still have a 58 Chev drag car that runs in the nines stored away,, ya I know but haven't been able to race cause of health issues and "stuff":sad:

So today I get this email from a friend and all I can say is WOW!!!
https://money.cnn.com/2014/07/02/autos/dodge-challenger-hellcat/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Those ZL-1 Camaro's are sweet. Don't they have the Corvette motor in them? I remember back in the day when I was in my 20's I bought 68 SS Camaro Turbo 400 for $2500. A few years later after I blew the motor I bought a 69 SS Camaro for $2500 nowadays good luck finding one for under 25k if you are lucky. I agree on the transmissions, manual is the way to go. A lot funner to drive when you are hammering out the gears!

Somebody said there may be a drag race after one day of ldrs at the grove ..... With Tim, Manny, and yours truly .. Is this still a go?

Gus I know you broke down and bought the Chevy (let's see are you up to 50 recalls now?!!!!?)... You should have waited: Chrysler announces 707 HP Challenger (https://money.cnn.com/2014/07/02/autos/dodge-challenger-hellcat/index.html).

I *knew* about it *long* before you did...:eek:

Someone say drag racing...

Mike, you don't know how much i would LOVE too join in on this...but, due too work obligations...i can't. :mad:

The Hellcat is AWESOME.

Makes me want to upgrade my 5.7 Charger R/T Daytona...maybe someday!

It IS awesome, i recommend waiting to see if they put that motor in the Charger or a *slightly* detuned version as they have hinted. :rolleyes:

Now that's overkill!

No that's good! :D

I'm guessing the "temporary" part wore off. The first time I met you you were driving a beautiful new ZL-1 in the middle of a farm with a 5.5" Frenzy Massive and 2 98mm motors somehow stuffed in there.

Yes...and, good friend Darryl Hankes was shaking his head and, telling me. "I can't believe you drove that thing out here..." Well, i don't have the time too explain to my good friend that it's only worth about 50k if it gets totaled...IF your going too spend that kind of money, you might want to drive it.
Also the two classic Mopars in the back of my garage are valued/insured for a $#!%load more...That's why i drove the *toy*. ;)

Somebody said there may be a drag race after one day of ldrs at the grove ..... With Tim, Manny, and yours truly .. Is this still a go?

Do it "Chicago Style"...Everyone...3, 4, 5 cars etc... Everyone gets TWO "qualifying passes"...the fastest two cars run for it all in a one shot deal afterward.
I've got money on you and, Timmy...leaning towards you though. :p

I'll post something a little more clarifying about this subject later this weekend...right now i have a quick turn and, have to be back at work very early tonight.

Everyone have a great fourth!

And, DON'T anyone out there shoot ANY bottle rockets at Semi's...We Truckers can get VERY mean...

Well, over the years i learned REAL quick that Mopar (If you don't know what that means...revert back to the first sentence.) ran deep in our families bloodline.....There were cousins, in-laws, out-laws etc....all around me running Hemi's, Six Packs, Magnums....you name it....at the track and, on the street....Heck, my first car was ALMOST a 70 Challenger. Those days are long gone.

I'm with you there, buddy, having owned several late 60's / early 70's Charger R/T's and Road Runners, actually in the late 60's and early 70's. We used to race the windy-windy road from Two Harbors to Silver Bay before the State "straightened" the road by blasting a LOT of rock. Two good friends in high school had a head-on collision on the stretch of road that used to go around Silver Cliff (attached picture #2). The Road Runner's front bumper was slightly dented and the driver was walking around unhurt, while the Rescue Squad cut open what was left of the unrecognizable Chevelle with the Jaws of Life to extract the other driver who had two broken legs. It would have made a great commercial for Chrysler.

Screen shot 2014-07-03 at 11.53.28 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-07-03 at 11.54.02 AM.jpg

Last edited:
426 HEMI's... Junk.
The "new" style HEMIs are a disgrace to the HEMI name, as they have taken a lot of shortcuts to make it and is not a true HEMI. I guess the last true HEMIs were the Chinese 426 crate engines that were made around 10 years ago.

Excuse me? Upon what are you basing this comment on? Yes, it's not a purely hemispherical combustion chamber, but so what? It's a damn good V8 - I know as I've had three of them. My 2006 SRT8 Magnum, thanks to judicious porting, piping and a new cam, has been pumping out ~515hp from it's 370 cubic inches for over 6 years now without so much as a hiccup. That includes 3 years of it being my daily driver on a 75 mile per day round trip commute and probably 150 or so passes down various quarter mile strips (with best time of 12.63 @114mph on street tires; 11.96 @ 119mph on MT drag radials). And it's still good for 22mpg on the highway (2 better than stock). Not bad for a 4500 pound car that has been far from pampered. And with different rear gearing and a higher stall torque converter I'm guessing I could be in the 11.3 second range...all on that "junk" motor.

But I digress...

I have been in 3 different MOPAR car clubs over the past 9 years with, collectively, hundreds of members and very very few have had issues with their HEMIs. Most of the ones I remember involve people who did, more or less, what I did to mine with porting and new heads/cams but didn't bother to upgrade the stock valve springs. Those guys broke springs on occasion but that was due to taking shortcuts and not a design flaw of the motor.

My own research over the past few years has shown me that the reality is that these engines have remarkably tight tolerances and are just as reliable (if not more so) than any of the Ford & GM V8s.

The only technological thing I've ever found to complain about on these motors is that Chrysler opted to go with a speed density system instead of a MAF (mass air flow) sensor based system. I understand, however, that they did opt for a MAF setup on the new 707hp 6.2L supercharged HEMI.

Here's just one of many links with some additional specifics:

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

And here's a couple of relevant excerpts if you don't wish to wade through all the other stuff:

Don Sherman, in Automobile, wrote that the cast iron block has a “meaty” deep-skirt design, with a crankshaft supported by four bolts per main bearing (two vertical, two horizontal). The heads are aluminum, the intake manifold plastic (for light weight and high flow).

Tom Hoover, one of the engineers responsible for the 426 Hemi, told Hot Rod that he had discussed the Elephant Engine’s design with new-Hemi engineers. Three of his major suggestions — raising the camshaft (to shorten the pushrods, reducing valve-train inertia and simplifying the rocker arms), using twin spark plugs, and adding squish area (to make light load/low speed efficiency better and reduce emissions) were immediately adopted.

-----

The hollow cam has oversized journals and lobes to reduce side loading on the lifters; roller-style lifters reduce friction and wear. The valve springs are beehive types, more effective than standard springs, so they can be lighter, with less lifter collapse. Rockers are light, and their flow is enough to compensate for their conservative .500 inches of lift.

The new Hemi is precision cast, which allows it to be lighter than a typical 5.7 liter engine, even with a taller deck height than GM’s equivalent V8; the slipper-style pistons are light (413g), using cast eutectic alloy. For longevity, the Hemi pistons are anodized on the top ring, which works as a combined heat barrier and anti-micro-weld mix, and allows the top ring to be only 3 mm from the top of the piston. As with the 426 Hemi, the rings are thin; a reservoir groove undeneath the top ring cuts the pressure between the top and second ring. The skirt is coated to increase the fit range for ring seals and reduce noise.

The crank has larger inner counterweights than similar (2007) GM engines, but their weight is offset by the lighter pistons and rods. A windage tray under the crank makes sure oil is always available, and the serpentine belt pulley acts as a torsional vibration damper. Connecting rods are strong and light enough to eliminate the need for a balance pad.

Gus I know you broke down and bought the Chevy (let's see are you up to 50 recalls now?!!!!?)... You should have waited: Chrysler announces 707 HP Challenger (https://money.cnn.com/2014/07/02/autos/dodge-challenger-hellcat/index.html).

I'll get back to you in a minute...:dark:

My first new car was a 70 Challenger that I bought off the showroom floor at Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago.

My dad used to frequent Mr. Norms little dealership back in the day, as he was originally from Milwaukee. He always said that's where you went when you wanted to get real serious! ;)

I'm with you there, buddy, having owned several late 60's / early 70's Charger R/T's and Road Runners, actually in the late 60's and early 70's.

Sather! My old friend! I never knew this little bit of your history...I'm sure we will talk for hours now that i know some of it! :D

NOW.....:dark: Back to "Old Scratch."

In the same amount of time that i owned "Le Challenger" it had been in for two resolved items and, one factory recall..."Le Camaro" has been in for two resolved items...no recalls...*yet*

My inside connection to Detroit comes from a family relation i will call "John"....

John and, i have talked numerous times about his past history with GM and, Chrysler...Seems he still has many friends who still work at both even today.
I've known about a Supercharged version coming ever since they cancelled the idea of putting the Viper V-10 in the Chally. The problem was that last year as i made the move on the Chevy...The word on the inside was that they were only shooting for a 80 horse gain over the SRT 392...meaning 550hp. That would have been easy and, still stout.

Things have changed.

John feels that the loss of Mercedes as the primary owner and, the change to the new owner Fiat was a big boost to morale. Before with Mercedes it was: "This is how were going to do it and, you stand out of the way...."
Fiat: "Ahhhh.....ummmm.....listen were starting too make back some of that capital we threw at you guys...lets have some fun...what do you think American buyers REALLY want?"

So Ralph Giles (Head of SRT) NOW had a blank check and, a clean slate! ;) Better late than never.

I was almost right on the horsepower...I've been saying (looking at the volume of the Supercharger) that it would be around 650hp. Guess they put a smaller pulley on it and, cranked the boost up.
For a guess on the price. I'll be honest, your NOT going to touch the Hellcat for less than $65k. My guess is 65-70k out the door.
Several people are saying that it's run into the high 10's. Nah.....Not unless they put a "Race Gas" tune on it and, Drag Radials...expect 11.5 in the quarter.
Speed? It has the power to just crack 200mph...Something NO Shelby GT500 has been able to do when tested by ANY auto magazine...Close but, NO cigar.

Of course i have been proven wrong. :confused2:

I'm sure it will be a GREAT car! :D I still love Chrysler but, things weren't looking so good last year....

IF...IF...i still had my old Challenger, i would still be dealing with selling/trading in a car only worth about $30k now...long way from 70k huh?
As a matter of fact the dealer that bought my car still has it and, its selling for LESS than they gave me on trade in....hmmmmm.....

Let me compare the two since i've now owned them both.

1. Fit, finish, quality of interior materials: The Challenger wins. (Remember Mercedes really put a little of themselves in that car.)
2. Interior room: Hands down the Challenger. Very spacious...but, you can still *bang* Momma in the front or back of the Camaro-PROVEN. ;)
3. Ride, handling: The Camaro. You can't beat that Magnetic Fluid Suspension and, the handling it has in all FIVE moods. (Heck, even Ferrari borrows the patent on it for their cars. YES! American engineering borrowed by Ferrari *under contract* for their top cars!) :point:
4. Stereo: The Chally was slightly better.
5. Fuel Mileage at 70mph on the Interstate: The Chally-20mpg with 425hp. The Camaro-21mpg with 580hp.
6. Stand out from the crowd ability: The Challenger always drew stares and, on lookers! When people realize that the Camaro is that one out of a hundred Camaros with that "Supercharger Thingy"....The Chally loses.
7. Acceleration: HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD! That ZL-1 flat out books...When you press down your right foot..."It's like the floodgates to Hell just opened up!" I've owned older cars with more horsepower than this but, never this kind of *hook* to planet earth.
8. Noise: The Chally had a very quiet demeanor to itself, on the highway, under throttle, at idle...The Camaro is more noisy...as i expected.
9. Comfort on a long trip: Hands down the Camaro! The BEST seats i've EVER sat in! Feels like your sitting on GEL! I don't know what Chrysler was thinking of when they designed the "High Bolster" seats on the Challenger and, i'm 5'-9" and weigh 165 pounds but, those seats were VERY uncomfortable to me.

No matter what you buy, someone will always have something flashier, or faster...They may not be able to use all of what they have but, if you can maintain what you have...good! Would i like to buy a Hellcat? Sure would...It's going to be awesome for sure! Right now though only about 5% of ZL-1 owners can truly take their cars to the limit and, come back in one piece. Trust me its a BEAR and, i AM NOT a professional race car driver.

I can tell you this from personal experience- From 0-150mph is a VERY VIOLENT ride in ANY car.
Above 150mph and, it's like you stepped into another dimension.

A VERY scary surreal world...full of danger.

No matter what you drive.

Last edited:
I can tell you this from personal experience- From 0-150mph is a VERY VIOLENT ride in ANY car.
Above 150mph and, it's like you stepped into another dimension.

A VERY scary surreal world...full of danger.

I can vouch for that. I have been 140+ in my Magnum down the backstretch at Atlanta Motor Speedway and, you're right, when you start getting well over that 100mph mark, things start acting...a bit twitchy, especially when transitioning from a flat surface to a high banked curve (turn 3). I was terrified but I loved every single moment of it...and I really don't feel a huge need to do it again.

150+ mph on the back of my buddy's Honda V65 Sabre, (yup, I was the be yatch). They stopped by my house and wanted me to go with them to get something, don't remember now. But that V65, HOO boy!! My buddy is a couple of biscuits over 350lbs, and I was around 150/160lbs at the time and that bike just got up and RAN!! With both of us on!!
You wanna have a religious experience, get a V65 Sabre over 150mph....... Wowser.
No helmet on either one of us, too. Totally unsafe, for sure. But, fun at the time.

Adrian

my Trans AM ram air won't fit rockets but it is a rocket all by itself. I'll leave the rocket hauling to my f350 and trailer....

and I'm NOT a NOPAR guy....seen too many of those "hemi" engines come apart. The best thing is that I bolt on any LT1 vette part....so yes, it's paper cuts instead of spending rocket building time scrounging for that part....

Whaaat? I could pack my 7.5" Patriot AND my 6" Smokin Rockets Mission Impossible in my Trans Am with room to spare for motors. That thing is a rocket hauling machine.

The Hellcat is AWESOME.

Makes me want to upgrade my 5.7 Charger R/T Daytona...maybe someday!

Then you'd need to learn to drive stick .... :p ... That hellcat is really something though.

7. Acceleration: HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD! That ZL-1 flat out books...When you press down your right foot..."It's like the floodgates to Hell just opened up!" I've owned older cars with more horsepower than this but, never this kind of *hook* to planet earth.

I thought my car was fast, I cant imagine what another 100HP does when you mash it. Awesome!

Last edited:
150+ mph on the back of my buddy's Honda V65 Sabre.
You wanna have a religious experience, get a V65 Sabre over 150mph....... Wowser.
Adrian

Yo Adrian!:D *sorry couldn't resist, even for a dear friend.* Remember when the V65 Magna actually was (for a short time) the fastest production motorcycle in the quarter mile? If I remember right Pee Wee Gleason cranked one into the 10 second zone...way back when.
Just noticed too that schpell checker converted my "Holy" to a "Holly".
I wonder if she's a redhead?;)
All those Sabre's (V30, V45 and, V65) we're awesome bikes with great styling for the time!

Yo Adrian!:D *sorry couldn't resist, even for a dear friend.* Remember when the V65 Magna actually was (for a short time) the fastest production motorcycle in the quarter mile? If I remember right Pee Wee Gleason cranked one into the 10 second zone...way back when.
Just noticed too that schpell checker converted my "Holy" to a "Holly".
I wonder if she's a redhead?;)
All those Sabre's (V30, V45 and, V65) we're awesome bikes with great styling for the time!

Her ya go Gusser, the V65 Sabre was the quick one. The V65 Magna was known as the "widowmaker" ; apparently handling was a bit sketchy at high speed.
According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong :eyeroll:):

Speed-
In 1983, Cycle magazine reported that Jay Pee-Wee Gleason made a 10.92 second, 124.82 miles per hour (200.88 km/h) quarter-mile run with a V65 Magna,[citation needed] which was powered by the same engine as the V65 Sabre.

The V65 Magna appeared from 1986 to 1989 in the Guinness Book of World Records as the fastest production motorcycle with a "design speed" of 173 to 176 miles per hour (278 to 283 km/h).[2][3] During this period the production motorcycle with the fastest tested speed was the 151–158 miles per hour (243–254 km/h) Kawasaki GPZ900R.

According to Honda: "the mighty V65 Sabre could launch from a standstill to 50 miles per hour in just 2.31 seconds!"[citation needed].

I had two buddies that had them. One buddy worked at a Honda place and got it new. The other buddy got his later used and it hauled our sorry butts just fine. Two other buddies had Honda '87 Magna's. The 700cc ones. All those V4's got to me and I ended up getting a '88 V45. That was the 750cc one. Sold it to buy a diamond ring :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Adrian

Last edited:
Back