Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Mushtang!! I am glad you like the thread and I appreciate the comments! I will try to make this as good as your threads...but that will be tough to do do...your build threads are just fantastic! This is really a fun kit to build. It is my favorite Dr. Zooch rocket. I just love this kit! Its a fun build, challenging but looks neat and flies great...just solid as a rock in flight....was a late night at work...got home at 8:30 pm.....so there won't be any work done tonight....going to be a busy week at work up here, but I will post more as soon as I can.

regarding your question of scale...the Zooch Saturn 1b and the Saturn V are not the same scale....in real life, the Saturn 1b was @224 feet tall and the Saturn V was 363 feet tall.....so the 1b was significantly smaller....I believe his Saturn V stand @18 inches tall and the 1b is @17.5 inches tall...I will attach a picture of my Zooch scale fleet and you will see his Saturn V next to a 1b and the Saturn V kit is just a bit bigger. I have also wondered if the Zooch Vostok/Soyuz and the Saturn 1b are the same scale or not...I recently purchased his Vostok so I'll have to build it to see!

View attachment 114321

According to the Zooch website, the Soyuz and the Saturn IB are the same "ant-scale"... that makes the rockets built to the same "pattern" the same scale-- IE the Saturn I Block II and the Luna, Saturn I Apollo 5, etc...

If you want to know what the particular "ant-scale" for a given kit is, divide a known figure from the real rocket, (say the stage diameter, which for the Saturn S-IVB stage on Saturn V and IB is 260 inches) by the tube size used in the kit for that particular stage (in the case of the Saturn IB, a BT-60 that is 1.637 inches in diameter), which gives you an answer of 152 and some change. So, basically, it's a 1/152 scale kit. The Zooch shuttle uses the same BT-60 tube to represent the 331 inch diameter External Tank, so naturally it's a different "ant-scale". The Zooch Saturn V uses the same BT-60 to represent the 396 inch diameter S-IC and S-II first and second stages of the Saturn V, so naturally it's a smaller 'ant-scale'. The Zooch Mercury Redstone uses the same BT-60 for the main tanks of the 70 inch diameter Redstone, so naturally it's a much larger scale... BTW, the BT-50 based "Zooch Freedom 7 Mercury Redstone" and the "Zooch Mercury-Atlas" are in the same scale, since the Atlas uses a BT-60 for the 120 inch diameter Atlas rocket main body. This makes a nice pair to display together...

SO, why all the coyness about what exactly "ant-scale" is?? Well, first off, "ant scale" isn't a constant, as we've seen... it depends on the kit, though there are some commonalities. Second, if Wes said "this kit is 1/152 scale" he'd have every rivet counter and scale guru on the planet coming out of the woodwork to nitpick and b!tch and moan about "this or that not being to scale"... which is technically correct, in that these are NOT "internats" scale models, NOR ARE THEY MEANT TO BE... these are "semi-scale" or "near-scale" models, and there IS a certain 'fudge factor' build in that, to scale "purists" (IE anal-retentive), are "not to scale" or "unacceptable". SO, to avoid the pitchfork-n-torch mobs, he simply sells them as "ant-scale" and makes NO reference to the scale whatsoever, much to some folk's chagrin... but, then again, it's not exactly a secret of the universe to figure out for yourself what "scale" the rockets are intended to be, since Wes will only give a cryptic answer such as "44 hands=12 rods per furlong" or something to that effect (for reasons already mentioned). For instance, there's a "fudge factor" in my BT-80 Saturn V... if you divide out the 396 inch diameter of the Saturn V by the 2.6 inch diameter of the BT-80 tube, you'll find that the "scale factor" is 152 and some change. Divide the 260 inch diameter of the S-IVB upper stage by the 1.637 in diameter BT-60, and you'll find that the scale factor is 158. (or vice-versa, but you get the idea). So, the rocket is sorta "stuck" between the two... but it's better than going looking for NON-EXISTANT tubes, especially when the difference in sizes between "what's needed" and what "is actually 'scale'" is only a matter of a few thousandths of an inch (or even a few dozen thousandths of an inch). For internats competition, yeah, it's THAT critical to get ALL the figures dead-on perfect... for a "sport-scale" rocket, not so much... (especially one that's not even in competition!)

Clear as mud??? LOL:) Once you get used to playing with the numbers, it's easy to upscale or downscale anything you want to whatever size you want.

Later! OL JR :)

(snip)... To get a Saturn V in the same scale as the Zooch Saturn IB, you have to scratch build one with a BT-80 (2.60 inch diameter) first and second stage, and the BT-60 S-IVB third stage. Then they use the same LM adapter and Apollo CSM/tower. That's why I started (and need to get back to) my BT-80 Saturn V build... (snip)

Hmmm... that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll make that my plan, for when I get done with my current build pile and make my way to the 1B, I'll also order another Saturn V and just use the top of it and try to scale everything else up. I'm sure the nose weight would no longer be correct and I'd have to add a lot more. And then I'll have to figure out how to scale up the Space Shuttle the same "scale" and do one of those too.

Are you printing wraps for your BT-80 Saturn V, or making corrugated wraps for it?

Hmmm... that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll make that my plan, for when I get done with my current build pile and make my way to the 1B, I'll also order another Saturn V and just use the top of it and try to scale everything else up. I'm sure the nose weight would no longer be correct and I'd have to add a lot more. And then I'll have to figure out how to scale up the Space Shuttle the same "scale" and do one of those too.

Are you printing wraps for your BT-80 Saturn V, or making corrugated wraps for it?

That won't work Mushtang... the Zooch Saturn V is SMALLER ANT SCALE than the Saturn IB... If you want a Saturn V to be the same scale as the Saturn IB, you'll need to buy another SATURN IB kit and use the S-IVB stage (BT-60 tube) atop the Saturn IB as the third stage of the BT-80 (2.6 inch tube) S-IC/S-II first and second stage. You'll also have to make a BT-80/60 transition the proper length to mate the S-II to the S-IVB. The CSM/tower and LM adapter would all then be properly sized for the Saturn V... (which would be the same size as on the Zooch Saturn IB, NOT the Zooch Saturn V which is much smaller!) IIRC the tube used for the S-IVB on the Zooch Saturn V is like a BT-55 or BT-52-- it is NOT a BT-60 which is what you need to have for a same-scale scratch Saturn V to match the Zooch Saturn IB.

The build thread for my Saturn V is here... https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?25770-BT-80-based-Saturn-V-quot-Saturn-I-F-quot

I'm making corrugated wraps for it. The pre-printed wraps look fine for the smaller Zooch Saturn V, but for the larger BT-80 version, I think actually having the corrugated paper makes for a MUCH nicer looking rocket! I've been making all the details out of carved basswood, balsa, toothpics, and bamboo skewers carved and sanded to final shape. I got the LM adapters, CSM's, and towers from Dr. Zooch years ago for just this sort of build. The corrugated cardstock I mostly got at Michaels craft stores...

Still haven't decided what to do about the motors for it... that was sort of the sticking point... that and my computer hard drive melting down and taking Rocksim and the designs with it, the sims, stability figures, etc... The noseweight issue you mentioned is part of it... I have a club buddy who's built and flown a lot of Saturn V's and IIRC he told me that for stable flight with scale-size fins, it needs to have the CP located right at the front of the S-IC/S-II interstage top edge... IIRC... I need to ask him again when I see him...

Anyway, hope this helps! OL JR :)

OK...I am sorry for the delay in updates, but its been a very busy week at work...not that I am complaining.,..I am thankful to have a job.
Now....back to work! where we left off we had just completed the spider beam assembly. I shot the entire assembly with a coat of black paint ...this will hide any gaps that you may have between your tanks (even the real Saturn 1b had some gaps...) no need to sweat that...trust me...when the rocket is competed the contrast between the white tank and the black tank really hides anything..your eyes just aren't drawn to it. here is the painted spider beam assembly
000_0124a.jpg

next it is time to attach the thrust structure to the spider beam....you'll want to gently test fit this over the centering rings...I had a great fit with ring #1 (the bottom most ring) but I had to gently sand around the edges of ring #2 to get it to fit over:
000_0127a.jpg

I use a smear of white glue at the bottom of the thrust structure and then quickly push that into place...
000_0129a.jpg

you'll want to be quick here because white glue can set up fast...NEVER use wood glue..I learned the hard way, it will grab whatever you try to push it over and lock into place like concrete....moving quickly, we'll push the thrust structure into place leaving the bottom flush with the bottom of the engine mount and then place a nice fillet on the inside of the structure with wood glue. remember, this area must support the thrust of those mighty H-1 engines...we don't want a failure here!

000_0130a.jpg000_0133a.jpg

now it is time for that time honored tradition in any model making endeavor...some love it..some hate it...time for fill and sanding! I have been using Elmers carpenters wood filler in a tube...it has the consistency of tooth paste and is very similar in the way it applies as to the putties I used with my plastic model kits back in the day.
000_0140a.jpg

as you can see from the pictures, we have the SIV-b stage, the SLA or lunar module transition, LES tower, service module and our command module to fill and finish. I took some pictures holding these so you can get an idea as to the size we are working with here. (I almost forgot my SM...so I had to take some additional pictures!)
000_0126a.jpg000_0136a.jpg000_0137a.jpg000_0141.jpg

Last edited:
we have a nice grain on our command module but we'll sand this nice and smooth...this is the first of several coats of wood filler....I'll start with 400 grit for a few applications and then move to 600 grit paper to make it smooth and then we'll be ready to put some primer on them and finish them up!

000_0142a.jpg000_0139a.jpg000_0138a.jpg

Coming along nicely... Great work!

"Mighty H-1 engines", eh?? LOL:) Kinda optimistic-- they were only rated at 205,000 lbs thrust, though IIRC they got them up to 220,000 lbs thrust via some upgrades and uprating. The H-1 basically turned into the RS-27, which was used on every Delta rocket until Delta IV.

thanks Luke! I couldn't resist throwing in the H-1 comment..lol....she is coming along up here...still sanding along....not much to post....been late nights at work so I just haven't had enough time...would like to get a coat of paint down on the S-IVb tonight if I can.

Coming along nicely... Great work!

"Mighty H-1 engines", eh?? LOL:) Kinda optimistic-- they were only rated at 205,000 lbs thrust, though IIRC they got them up to 220,000 lbs thrust via some upgrades and uprating. The H-1 basically turned into the RS-27, which was used on every Delta rocket until Delta IV.

hey Luke....what engine combinations were you considering? this would be awesome when done!

That won't work Mushtang... the Zooch Saturn V is SMALLER ANT SCALE than the Saturn IB... If you want a Saturn V to be the same scale as the Saturn IB, you'll need to buy another SATURN IB kit and use the S-IVB stage (BT-60 tube) atop the Saturn IB as the third stage of the BT-80 (2.6 inch tube) S-IC/S-II first and second stage. You'll also have to make a BT-80/60 transition the proper length to mate the S-II to the S-IVB. The CSM/tower and LM adapter would all then be properly sized for the Saturn V... (which would be the same size as on the Zooch Saturn IB, NOT the Zooch Saturn V which is much smaller!) IIRC the tube used for the S-IVB on the Zooch Saturn V is like a BT-55 or BT-52-- it is NOT a BT-60 which is what you need to have for a same-scale scratch Saturn V to match the Zooch Saturn IB.

The build thread for my Saturn V is here... https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?25770-BT-80-based-Saturn-V-quot-Saturn-I-F-quot

I'm making corrugated wraps for it. The pre-printed wraps look fine for the smaller Zooch Saturn V, but for the larger BT-80 version, I think actually having the corrugated paper makes for a MUCH nicer looking rocket! I've been making all the details out of carved basswood, balsa, toothpics, and bamboo skewers carved and sanded to final shape. I got the LM adapters, CSM's, and towers from Dr. Zooch years ago for just this sort of build. The corrugated cardstock I mostly got at Michaels craft stores...

Still haven't decided what to do about the motors for it... that was sort of the sticking point... that and my computer hard drive melting down and taking Rocksim and the designs with it, the sims, stability figures, etc... The noseweight issue you mentioned is part of it... I have a club buddy who's built and flown a lot of Saturn V's and IIRC he told me that for stable flight with scale-size fins, it needs to have the CP located right at the front of the S-IC/S-II interstage top edge... IIRC... I need to ask him again when I see him...

Anyway, hope this helps! OL JR :)

hey Luke....what engine combinations were you considering? this would be awesome when done!

That's the thing-- been toying with lots of ideas... analysis paralysis I guess...

I figured a 24 mm in the center is a given. I'd considered adding outboards more for effect than anything-- either 18's or 13mm motor mounts... That way you can load up and have five flames at liftoff (if I can get them all lit at once). BUT, this adds a LOT of weight back in the rear end, and that means either 1) large amounts of noseweight to get the CG in the right place or 2) bigger non-scale fins or 3) BOTH.

SO the question comes down to, "which is more important"?? Hopefully seeing five flames and some more smoke coming out the back for maybe a couple seconds at liftoff, or better flying characteristics and a more realistic looking rocket for display?? That's the quandary...

Luke,
you are for more knowledgeable on this stuff than I ever will be....but I would follow the Von Braun philosophy when he built the real Saturn V.....put the biggest engine in it that would do the job...the F-1's were a brute force solution.....stick a big ol motor in and let her rip....I think that would be better than seeing some small motors burn for one photo op...simpler and cheaper too. Just my two cents....when you finish her, she will be awesome!

That's the thing-- been toying with lots of ideas... analysis paralysis I guess...

I figured a 24 mm in the center is a given. I'd considered adding outboards more for effect than anything-- either 18's or 13mm motor mounts... That way you can load up and have five flames at liftoff (if I can get them all lit at once). BUT, this adds a LOT of weight back in the rear end, and that means either 1) large amounts of noseweight to get the CG in the right place or 2) bigger non-scale fins or 3) BOTH.

SO the question comes down to, "which is more important"?? Hopefully seeing five flames and some more smoke coming out the back for maybe a couple seconds at liftoff, or better flying characteristics and a more realistic looking rocket for display?? That's the quandary...

OK....lets assemble the S1b first stage.....its pretty straight forward here...remember, I deviated a bit from the Zooch plans...Dr. Zooch advises you to glue centering ring #3 exactly 5.25 inches above ring #2....that is the length of our fuel tanks...I like to leave that ring unglued...place the tanks in place, then bring ring #3 down and glue it securely in place. I just think its a little easier to arrange the tanks.

the first tank in is always a momentous occasion and there would normally be much fan fare etc...however, since its only me at home right now...I cheered for myself.
000_0144a.jpg

it is then a simple procedure to set every tank in place...
000_0145a.jpg

you will probably see as you put the tanks in and gently set them in place that the black tanks tend to rotate a bit as you handle the stage....you have to be careful to keep the lettering at the proper 90 degree angle...they sometimes want to rotate inward...not a big deal obviously, but something I noticed as I have made these. so I am usually constantly checking to see if the stages are lined vertically and if my fuel tanks (the black tanks) are in the proper position as I move along..
000_0147a.jpg

once I have the tanks in and aligned, I'll place some white glue on the bottom of ring #3 and slide it down into contact with the tanks...

000_0149a.jpg

I will usually hold this stage until the glue starts to set up....trying to keep the fuel tanks within the diameter of the centering rings...after a while I will use the shock cord that is supplied and gently tie it snug (but not too tight or you'll deform your tanks...)to keep the tanks in their general position as the glue dries. You will find yourself continually tinkering with your black tanks to make sure they are not twisting inwards on you and that you white Lox tanks are vertical. I then add a thick fillet of wood glue to the centering ring to keep everything in place...
000_0150a.jpg

at this point, we'll set this aside and let it dry overnight.
000_0151a.jpg

Tomorrow, we'll mate the SIV-b stage to this first stage. Right now my SIV-b is painted and drying....since its cold up here, I won't touch the tank for 24 hours....I don't want to leave any fingerprints on it. It just takes longer for the paint to dry in the winter. But we are definitely making progress up here. while this dries, we'll put some more coats of filler on the Apollo capsule, the LM adapter and the Service Module....don't worry...they are coming along nicely and we are going to detail each of those for this build. Actually, we are going to do some scratch extra detail on pretty much everything, from the LES down.... My goal is to make the Zooch 1b as detailed as we can reasonably make it....and that's the beauty of this kit....it doesn't take a lot of money...just patience....I think this thing is going to look sweet when she is done!! Thanks for following along with the build!

Luke,
you are for more knowledgeable on this stuff than I ever will be....but I would follow the Von Braun philosophy when he built the real Saturn V.....put the biggest engine in it that would do the job...the F-1's were a brute force solution.....stick a big ol motor in and let her rip....I think that would be better than seeing some small motors burn for one photo op...simpler and cheaper too. Just my two cents....when you finish her, she will be awesome!

That's SORTA what I've been leaning towards... After all I can "photoshop" in five flames if I really want to... LOL:) Not the same, but still...

I've also toyed with the idea of adding "flame fins" (of a sort) to the back... I'd have to add another couple tubes to the motor mount to hold them, and make clear plastic tubes with clear fins (on a bird you're trying to make extra pretty, clear is the only way to go IMHO...) Having trouble finding tubing thin enough to roll but thick enough to glue up into a fairly stout tube...

Still playing with ideas... LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

once I have the tanks in and aligned, I'll place some white glue on the bottom of ring #3 and slide it down into contact with the tanks...

View attachment 114821

I will usually hold this stage until the glue starts to set up....trying to keep the fuel tanks within the diameter of the centering rings...after a while I will use the shock cord that is supplied and gently tie it snug (but not too tight or you'll deform your tanks...)to keep the tanks in their general position as the glue dries. You will find yourself continually tinkering with your black tanks to make sure they are not twisting inwards on you and that you white Lox tanks are vertical. I then add a thick fillet of wood glue to the centering ring to keep everything in place...
View attachment 114822

at this point, we'll set this aside and let it dry overnight.
View attachment 114823

Tomorrow, we'll mate the SIV-b stage to this first stage. Right now my SIV-b is painted and drying....since its cold up here, I won't touch the tank for 24 hours....I don't want to leave any fingerprints on it. It just takes longer for the paint to dry in the winter. But we are definitely making progress up here. while this dries, we'll put some more coats of filler on the Apollo capsule, the LM adapter and the Service Module....don't worry...they are coming along nicely and we are going to detail each of those for this build. Actually, we are going to do some scratch extra detail on pretty much everything, from the LES down.... My goal is to make the Zooch 1b as detailed as we can reasonably make it....and that's the beauty of this kit....it doesn't take a lot of money...just patience....I think this thing is going to look sweet when she is done!! Thanks for following along with the build!

Rick, do you have RoskoRacer's updated wraps for the Zooch Saturn IB?? I got them last night and they are SUPER COOL LOOKING! They're set up for Apollo 7 though...

Been finding some interesting research online relating to proposals for the Saturn IB...

Maybe your next version should be the Saturn IB- BIG GEMINI!!! :)

Rick,

Things are looking very nice ,it`s comming together nicely !

I love watching your build ,no doubt it will help others who may wish to tackle this great kit.

Keep up the fine work.

Paul T

Luke,
what us a Saturn 1b - Big Gemini??
I do have Rosko Racer's wraps...I am going to use his thrust structure wrap, his main wrap and his instrument unit wrap. He also makes a wrap for the command module, but I have other plans for this little capsule ... Rosko is a great guy...he sent me his wraps and when I went to print them out...mine were smaller...I knew I had done something wrong....I sent him a PM and he replied and fixed it....told me to check my printing set ups...and that was the problem....he is not only a nice guy but a steely eyed missile man!

Rick, do you have RoskoRacer's updated wraps for the Zooch Saturn IB?? I got them last night and they are SUPER COOL LOOKING! They're set up for Apollo 7 though...

Been finding some interesting research online relating to proposals for the Saturn IB...

Maybe your next version should be the Saturn IB- BIG GEMINI!!! :)

thanks Paul!! I appreciate the kind words! this is my favorite kit of my favorite rocket. right now I am in sanding and filling mode up here....I hope to get a layer of paint down on my command module and the LM transition tonight if possible...but we are getting to the fun parts! I have some plans for this little rocket...

Rick,

Things are looking very nice ,it`s comming together nicely !

I love watching your build ,no doubt it will help others who may wish to tackle this great kit.

Keep up the fine work.

Paul T

thanks Mushtang!! I hope you are enjoying the build...but we are just getting started on this 1b!!
I would love to see you take a crack at one...but I understand you have a few rocket kits waiting their turn on the work bench!

Looking good man! This is fun to watch.

how about a cluster of "D" engines? you know the old saying..."if you are going to be a bear....you might as well be a Grizzly!"

That's SORTA what I've been leaning towards... After all I can "photoshop" in five flames if I really want to... LOL:) Not the same, but still...

I've also toyed with the idea of adding "flame fins" (of a sort) to the back... I'd have to add another couple tubes to the motor mount to hold them, and make clear plastic tubes with clear fins (on a bird you're trying to make extra pretty, clear is the only way to go IMHO...) Having trouble finding tubing thin enough to roll but thick enough to glue up into a fairly stout tube...

Still playing with ideas... LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Luke,
what us a Saturn 1b - Big Gemini??
I do have Rosko Racer's wraps...I am going to use his thrust structure wrap, his main wrap and his instrument unit wrap. He also makes a wrap for the command module, but I have other plans for this little capsule ... Rosko is a great guy...he sent me his wraps and when I went to print them out...mine were smaller...I knew I had done something wrong....I sent him a PM and he replied and fixed it....told me to check my printing set ups...and that was the problem....he is not only a nice guy but a steely eyed missile man!

Ask and ye shall receive... :)
GeminiSaturnI.JPGGeminiSaturnCutaway.JPGGeminiSaturnLVs.JPGGeminiSaturnLVs2.JPGGeminiSaturnLVs3.JPG
Big Gemini was a proposal to build an enlarged Gemini capsule with room for up to 12 astronauts (in advanced versions) using modifications made for the Air Force Blue Gemini program (which proved the feasibility of a hatch through the heat shield, as shuttle later did as well) by adding another conical section to the Gemini to increase the length of the "bell" shaped section to accomodate seating for more astroants...

The capsule would then be mated to a new adapter section to act as a service module for the vehicle, through which a tunnel would pass to a pressurized aft work area capable of being used as a "cargo bay" for holding pressurized cargo to resupply a space station. It would also be equipped with aft docking windows and controls with a rear-facing docking port and airlock for docking with space stations. (Similar to how Soyuz did it, but with the "orbital compartment" on the back of the propulsion module instead of in front of the descent module. The vehicle would be launched on either Titan III-C, Titan III-M (MOL Launcher) or Saturn IB, or as later proposals showed, the INT-20 version of Saturn V (Saturn S-IC first stage minus 2-3 F-1's, and an S-IVB upper stage). It would also add an escape tower capable of lifting the capsule off the stack in the event of an abort.

Makes a rather interesting looking animal, doesn't it?? :) I've downloaded several reports on this (some information may already be in some of my prior study summaries on this sort of thing over in the Scale Section of the forum... I've also found some interesting new sources of information, so I'm in "research" mode right now, and should be doing some more "NASA Study Summaries" soon, over in the scale section...

Later and KUTGW on your terrific build... hope I'm not derailing your thread... if I am tell me to shut up... LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

how about a cluster of "D" engines? you know the old saying..."if you are going to be a bear....you might as well be a Grizzly!"

True, BUT...
1) TON of noseweight required, or aft fin units, or BOTH...
2) Expensive as heck to fly...

that is true....but it would be the most powerful launch vehicle that you would have ever built!! guaranteed to shake the grasslands of Texas!! I have to check it up now...but what is the thrust of 3 "D" engines? 22 lbs?

I am just kidding with you....its a beautiful build and it is a real issue especially after all the work you put in to it....and you are not high jacking my thread...I was painting up here last night so I hope to be able to post some more of the build shortly!:horse:

True, BUT...
1) TON of noseweight required, or aft fin units, or BOTH...
2) Expensive as heck to fly...

OK....I was able to sit down this afternoon with the 1b and make some more progress. When we left off, we had completed out first stage...now its time to mate the S-IVb stage to the S-1b first stage. First, make a test fit to see how much sanding of centering rings #3 and #4 would be needed to allow a nice smooth fit of the S-IVb stage
000_0153a.jpg

once some gentle sanding of ring #3 was completed, we had a nice fit. As you attach the tube to the first stage, you can expect to gently pinch in some of your fuel tanks to allow them to fit inside the S-IVb tube. The instructions direct you to push the stage in about 1/16 of an inch. A heavy glue fillet is added inside the S-IVb stage to hold them together. I usually also use a small amount of white glue around the tops and bottoms of the tanks to glue them finally into place.
000_0154a.jpg000_0155a.jpg

she is starting to come together!

Now that we have the stages assembled...its time to put the paper wraps on the stage. For this rocket, I used the beautiful wraps that Rosko Racer has prepared for this kit. Thanks Rosko!
000_0156a.jpg

First is the wrap for the thrust structure. If there is one little "gotcha" in building this rocket, its probably here. Its not fair to call it that because it is in the instruction sheet as clear as day...however, if you have not read carefully its possible to miss it. When applying this wrap, it is necessary to start this wrap at a point where a black tank meets a white tank. This wrap will become a guide for attaching the 8 fins. I dry fit the wrap first, trying to line up the wrap where the fins should go..once I am satisfied. I will mark a small line with a pencil to indicate my starting point.
000_0158a.jpg000_0159a.jpg

apply a small amount of glue to the back of the wrap and then carefully roll it around the thrust structure, again trying to line up the roll patterns on the wrap ...these patterns will meet right between the areas of a back tank and a white tank.
000_0160a.jpg

once the thrust structure wrap is applied, its time to move on to the inter-stage wrap and the instrument unit (IU) Just use your straight edge and carefully trim these from the sheet and apply making sure that the black roll band on the inter-stage is directly above a black fuel tank. I also try to match up on one side of the rocket the edges or beginning points for these wraps.
000_0161a.jpg000_0163a.jpg
looks pretty good I think!

Now...lets have some fun! its time to see if we can't add a little detail to this kit....I found a neat little product on line...its called Line-O-Tape....and they must have 100 different varieties, colors and patterns of pin stripe tape. Its like $3 a roll and I think it adds a nice little touch of detail to an already awesome kit. Let's take some chrome tape, 1/64 inch 000_0164a.jpg and try to make the separation points on this S-Ib inter-stage wrap. Now, this stuff is small....I hope this picture shows what we are working with up here:000_0167a.jpg

try to line up your tape and gently roll it around the booster
000_0168a.jpg Don't sweat it if it doesn't line up correctly on the first pass, you can remove the tape and it won't peel your wrap...you can also adjust it with your fingernail to try to line it up...but with a little patience, I think it adds a neat little detail to this wrap
000_0169a.jpg

next, lets try to make the Propellant Dispersal System charges that run down the sides of the tanks....these are those little red lines that run down the sides of the tanks..000_0170a.jpg
I like to use a strip of paper to measure out the length of tape required000_0172a.jpg carefully apply to the inside corner on the side of the white LOX tank that faces towards a black tank....do your best to keep it as straight as you can...000_0176a.jpg

I will play with this one a bit to try to straighten it out a little better...but I think it adds a neat little detail to the booster..I mean...you can't have a Saturn 1b with out a PDS shaped charge can you??:no:

today I added the tank fairings....those small aerodynamic fairings that covered the gaps at the base of the tanks and thrust structure. Wes (Dr. Zooch) uses small paper triangles to cover these spaces.....I tend to cut them just a tad larger than provided, I think they fit a little better.
000_0179a.jpg

its just a matter of trimming these out and carefully putting them into place...the fit is not the best...but at this scale, they will do!
000_0180a.jpg

next we cut out the base plate for the S-1b stage and glue into place....
000_0183a.jpg000_0184a.jpg

next step is to hang some fins....8 of them!!

Back