Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the instructions advise you to cut the now rounded dowels into 3/4" lengths. These are then glued onto the inside of the LES fairing at right angles to one another
View attachment 116269

rather than attach the wires to the outside edges of these rounded dowels, I cut and trimmed small pieces of the .020 rod so that they fit on the inside edge of the dowels...I thought this would be a more realistic look...its not as hard as it looks because the dowels and white glue set up pretty quickly. The tower is not tall enough on this rocket to recreate the entire LES tower brace pattern, so I kinda winged it and used the top row of brackets and the bottom row of what would have been on the real tower. I start with that middle support bracket and place each into place around the LES tower legs.
View attachment 116273

from this set of brackets, pretty much everything is built up and down from that level. The top row of brackets is a large "X" shape...so I glued an trimmed piece of rod onto the inside edge of the LES legs. I then glued another cross bar to make the "X" shape by gluing over top of the other. This rod is so thin that it fits pretty good. The lower level consists of an inverted "V" bracket that runs from the base of the tower support to the middle of that lower bracket we set into place above...I went around each side of the LES tower doing one side of the inverted "V" bracket at a time. By the time I got all the way around, the first brackets had set up and it was simply a matter of putting each piece into its place. The completed tower, I think, looks a little more realistic. I used the wooden dowels or sticks provided in the kit because its my intention to fly this rocket...I guess we'll see how tough they are!
View attachment 116277

the tower is in the paint shop right now! let me know what you think? I am little nervous about the strength of this tower...I tried to use glue to reinforce each of the joints. I hope its enough

Go looking for answers in one thread and they're in the other one...

I'm learning a TON re-reading this thread... This will help A LOT!

I also see I've been doing a little "re-creating" of a technique Rick already used here... LOL:) Well, I'm putting a little twist on it, so we'll see how it turns out...

Later! OL JR :)

I have been looking at this LES for a little while now...and there seem to be some extra details that we can add to this...this schematic is helpful I think:
View attachment 163152
you will note there is a systems tunnel that runs down the exterior of the rocket tube...there are actually two of these tunnels..after paint we will add these details.

as described earlier in this build, I uses 0.020 plastic rod to build the LES tower supports....its a matter of taking your time and trimming the rods so that they can fit on the inside of the tower legs...I glue these on with white glue. I also found a rod and tube assortment and the tubing in here is useful to build the LES rocket nozzles
View attachment 163153

here is a picture with the 0..20 rods applied...almost done in this picture...we still have to add the bottom legs
View attachment 163154

the tubing is easy to use...just cut a small piece at an angle and you are good to go!
View attachment 163155

and here is my tower ready for paint: I like the nozzles!
View attachment 163156

this is going to be painted shortly...once it is completely dry, I will want to try to add those systems tunnels.

(Facepalm) Why didn't *I* think of that?? (tube for the nozzles).

Great work! Later! OL JR :)

Hi Luke,
sorry for my delay...been a busy couple of days up here. I saw your question on my Saturn family...sorry about that...that thread started as just some pictures of my Zooch 1bs.....and kinda grew from there. I am glad you found the tower on my Zooch build thread helpful. I was basically just replacing the materials that Wes used in that step with some plastic rods and tried a different layout rather than the Z shape. just take your time when trimming the rods to fit and a good pair of tweezers is your friend on that step! You can see the difference in my Apollo 7 tower and my Skylab 4...I tried to add additional details including the nozzles as well as a better job on the bracing. Its tough because these things are getting awfully small...but I do like the end result. You are right, the actual tower had a set of braces that connected to an O shaped ring in the center....I have been thinking about that and a way to do that...but that is for a future build...I hope my thread helps you out...can
t wait to see your tower!

I was happy to see that maybe your Saturn V and Saturn 1F in this scale might be coming back into production!!! Those will look awesome!

post lots of pictures when you can!

the tubing just happened to be hanging on the Evergreen plastic display rack at the local hobby shop...I saw that and thought..hey that might work..so I kinda eye balled what would work....you need just a small bit of it.

Luke...you also asked about the pinstripe tape that I use...its called Line-O-Tape and I bought at it a hobby shop up here in NJ called Hobbymasters in Red Bank NJ. I will attach their web site for you. https://www.hobbymasters.com/

I use black 1/64th for the SLA panels and white 1/64 for the the BPC..I also use 1/32 tape for some other areas as well, but 1/64 is primarily what I use. I use chrome 1/64 for the SM panels and interstage and red 1/64 for the first stage PDS cables that run on the tanks. If you check out the link attached, you will see there are a zillion different colors and widths. Its not really a lot of money and its a neat way to add some extra detail to what I think is just an AWESOME kit that Dr. Zooch sells.

hope that helps!

Last edited:
Hi Luke,
(snip) You are right, the actual tower had a set of braces that connected to an O shaped ring in the center....I have been thinking about that and a way to do that...but that is for a future build...I hope my thread helps you out...can't wait to see your tower!

Seriously?? Oh Geez you're a glutton for punishment, aren't ya?? LOL:) Seriously, doing the ring at this scale... now that WOULD be amazing to see! I suppose if one could cut a thin enough bit of that styrene tube, and maybe BEND the "V" shaped elements instead of having to make them all INDIVIDUALLY?? Still need EIGHT "V" sections, the ring, and then have to do the lower horizontal braces between legs and the eight small angle braces below them... Wow... Intimidating to contemplate!

I was happy to see that maybe your Saturn V and Saturn 1F in this scale might be coming back into production!!! Those will look awesome!

post lots of pictures when you can!

Yep, It's kinda shameful that I haven't worked on them before now... I sorta got to a point where I was going to have to do some heavy duty figuring on the motor choices, and all that, and thus sorta just "paused to think" and then sorta pushed it onto the back burner, and then into the deep freeze... Working with Keira sorta got me thinking though, looking over at them sitting on the other side of the table, staring forlornly back at me...

Keira got my creative juices flowing, too... thought of about a half dozen different kitbashes I could do with the Neon or Super Neon kit, and some spare parts and a Sci-Fi nosecone assortment from Estes. Maybe I'll make a hobby shop run and see if I can scare up some pinstripe tape and a sci-fi nosecone assortment. I picked up a bunch of kits during the Estes after Christmas sale for just such builds.

Ever had one of those nights where you can't sleep but just lay there and stuff pours through your head?? That's how I was the other night. I dreamed up a logical (and "realistic" way to do a flying model rocket version of a TIE fighter (or TIE bomber, which is my favorite) and make it stable... it'd work for a Cylon Raider too... Thought up a prequel design for Battlestar Galactica, heck even a prequel Cylon Base Star... Still flipping the B-58 Hustler design in the back of my head, as well as staged side boosters...

Probably need to finish the Saturns first... LOL:)

later! OL JR :)

Luke...you also asked about the pinstripe tape that I use...its called Line-O-Tape and I bought at it a hobby shop up here in NJ called Hobbymasters in Red Bank NJ. I will attach their web site for you. https://www.hobbymasters.com/

I use black 1/64th for the SLA panels and white 1/64 for the the BPC..I also use 1/32 tape for some other areas as well, but 1/64 is primarily what I use. I use chrome 1/64 for the SM panels and interstage and red 1/64 for the first stage PDS cables that run on the tanks. If you check out the link attached, you will see there are a zillion different colors and widths. Its not really a lot of money and its a neat way to add some extra detail to what I think is just an AWESOME kit that Dr. Zooch sells.

hope that helps!

Thanks that helps a LOT! What colors do you use?? I take it white 1/32 for the BPC, along with some white 1/64 on the BPC?? Silver or chrome 1/64 for the stage sep lines?? Black 1/64 for the SLA panel lines?? Red 1/64 or 1/32 for the LSC's on the first stage propellant tanks?? That's what I'm guessing from reading the threads... Did I get it right?? Miss any??

Thanks again! OL JR :)

PS... you ever get that little gift I sent you in the mail??

Luke..you are right on...for the BPC, I used 1/64 white for the small trim and for the larger panels I used 1/32 white. I have a roll of 1/8 that I use for the parts of the BPC that cover some windows...if you look at pics you will see where two windows have a rectangular panel in the BPC. For the PDS lines (propellant dispersal) on the first stage I use 1/64 red. For the SLA I use 1/64 black. working with the tape can be fiddly at times....just take your time, trim some templates so you can get an idea of how long a strip of tape you need and do your best to lay it down. you can adjust it with your finger nail by gently moving it in the direction you want it to go...this is especially true on the SLA..I normally lay the bottom ring first and them run the vertical panel strips one at a time trying to make sure that I have an approximately equal panel after the tape is down...just look down from the top of the balsa cone when putting the tape down and you'll see where to the lay the tape down on the opposite side...
another use for the white 1/64 tape is on the SM.....a couple of strips and it really makes the radiator panels pop!

and a good coat of crytal clear and the tape is locked down...I have made a number of flights with the tape and it doesn't lift or peel at all...

Thanks that helps a LOT! What colors do you use?? I take it white 1/32 for the BPC, along with some white 1/64 on the BPC?? Silver or chrome 1/64 for the stage sep lines?? Black 1/64 for the SLA panel lines?? Red 1/64 or 1/32 for the LSC's on the first stage propellant tanks?? That's what I'm guessing from reading the threads... Did I get it right?? Miss any??

Thanks again! OL JR :)

PS... you ever get that little gift I sent you in the mail??

Last edited:
Luke....I did try the Rosko wrap thrusters on my Apollo 7 1b (SA-295) and they were OK...Rosko did a great job wiuth those wraps, especially the thrust struture wrap. On my Skylab 4 I was tring to get a more 3 dimensional look and I have all this plastic rods up here so I just tinkered around with it to get soemthing reasonably close to a thruster quad. I haven't flown her yet and I suspect they are going to get blown off during launch...but I like the look of them on there. I am pretty sure Wes thinks I am insane on his 1bs...but I love the Zooch 1b...it is my favorite kit plastic or rocket to build. But my goal was to try to add a bit of detail by using low cost stuff to see if we couldn't get the Zooch 1b to look like some of the bigger and far more expensive kits out there. I don't think anything I did was really particularly difficult...just takes patience.

woudl love to see you break out your 1b! once you steam the tanks Luke, you will be in like flint and sparking!!!:bangbang:

Luke..you are right on...for the BPC, I used 1/64 white for the small trim and for the larger panels I used 1/32 white. I have a roll of 1/8 that I use for the parts of the BPC that cover some windows...if you look at pics you will see where two windows have a rectangular panel in the BPC. For the PDS lines (propellant dispersal) on the first stage I use 1/64 red. For the SLA I use 1/64 black. working with the tape can be fiddly at times....just take your time, trim some templates so you can get an idea of how long a strip of tape you need and do your best to lay it down. you can adjust it with your finger nail by gently moving it in the direction you want it to go...this is especially true on the SLA..I normally lay the bottom ring first and them run the vertical panel strips one at a time trying to make sure that I have an approximately equal panel after the tape is down...just look down from the top of the balsa cone when putting the tape down and you'll see where to the lay the tape down on the opposite side...
another use for the white 1/64 tape is on the SM.....a couple of strips and it really makes the radiator panels pop!

and a good coat of crytal clear and the tape is locked down...I have made a number of flights with the tape and it doesn't lift or peel at all...

Okay thanks! I appreciate it!

So my shopping list should include:

*** 1/64 black
*** 1/64 white
*** 1/32 white
*** 1/8 white
*** 1/64 red

Sound good?? No 1/16 white?? Just want to make sure!

Later and thanks again! OL JR :)

Luke....I did try the Rosko wrap thrusters on my Apollo 7 1b (SA-295) and they were OK...Rosko did a great job wiuth those wraps, especially the thrust struture wrap. On my Skylab 4 I was tring to get a more 3 dimensional look and I have all this plastic rods up here so I just tinkered around with it to get soemthing reasonably close to a thruster quad. I haven't flown her yet and I suspect they are going to get blown off during launch...but I like the look of them on there. I am pretty sure Wes thinks I am insane on his 1bs...but I love the Zooch 1b...it is my favorite kit plastic or rocket to build. But my goal was to try to add a bit of detail by using low cost stuff to see if we couldn't get the Zooch 1b to look like some of the bigger and far more expensive kits out there. I don't think anything I did was really particularly difficult...just takes patience.

woudl love to see you break out your 1b! once you steam the tanks Luke, you will be in like flint and sparking!!!:bangbang:

Sounds good... :)

I was playing around to see what they might look like made from paper, and if I could achieve a satisfactory "3D" look using just paper...

DSCF8118.jpgDSCF8119.jpgDSCF8120.jpgDSCF8121.jpgDSCF8122.jpgDSCF8123.jpg

These things are TRULY tiny... First I tried some centering ring cardstock (matte board) from Keira's Neon kit... the scrap material around the laser-cut centering rings. This was FAR too thick and rather hard to cut. Next I tried some 65 lb "Zooch type" cardstock scrap I had on the workbench. Too flat and flexible. Then I tried some 100 lb cardstock scrap I had laying around. Turned out pretty decent... a little harder to cut, but thick enough to give a little "dimensionality" to the part. Still awfully "flat" though... So I experimented with cutting a small rectangle of material and gluing it on top of the base and nozzles... to give it more 3D appearance. It works, and the small rectangle certainly helps, but it's still awfully 'flat' looking.

Just playing around with different methods... the cast plastic sprue ones are still the most "3D" looking ones, and made from a single piece of plastic. Just need a slightly better "mold"...

that looks pretty good to me Luke..I think you can pretty much do what you need with that..I do have 1/16th white tape...you can use that to "fill" any seams with the Apollo capsule as it attaches to the SM if necessary.

Okay thanks! I appreciate it!

So my shopping list should include:

*** 1/64 black
*** 1/64 white
*** 1/32 white
*** 1/8 white
*** 1/64 red

Sound good?? No 1/16 white?? Just want to make sure!

Later and thanks again! OL JR :)

that looks pretty good to me Luke..I think you can pretty much do what you need with that..I do have 1/16th white tape...you can use that to "fill" any seams with the Apollo capsule as it attaches to the SM if necessary.

Cool! Thanks a bunch!
OL JR :)

I have been looking at this LES for a little while now...and there seem to be some extra details that we can add to this...this schematic is helpful I think:
View attachment 163152
you will note there is a systems tunnel that runs down the exterior of the rocket tube...there are actually two of these tunnels..after paint we will add these details.

as described earlier in this build, I uses 0.020 plastic rod to build the LES tower supports....its a matter of taking your time and trimming the rods so that they can fit on the inside of the tower legs...I glue these on with white glue. I also found a rod and tube assortment and the tubing in here is useful to build the LES rocket nozzles
View attachment 163153

here is a picture with the 0..20 rods applied...almost done in this picture...we still have to add the bottom legs
View attachment 163154

the tubing is easy to use...just cut a small piece at an angle and you are good to go!
View attachment 163155

and here is my tower ready for paint: I like the nozzles!
View attachment 163156

this is going to be painted shortly...once it is completely dry, I will want to try to add those systems tunnels.

Hey Rick, quick question--

What size is that tubing you're using there?? Where'd ya get your tubing from??

Went hunting for tape and tubing at the LHS (well, "local" for me, about 25 or so miles away) and turned up empty on both counts... figures... have to order it online.

Got the tape in the shopping cart from the place you linked to, but can't find the tubing assortment you have there...

Luke....I used tubing from Evergreen rod and tubing assortment #217...I believe the size of that tubing is 3/32"
my local hobby shop had this hanging on a rack..that is where I picked it up...it is on Ebay right now at this link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergreen-Rod-Tube-Assortment-EVG217-/380956748063?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item58b2caa91f

Hey Rick, quick question--

What size is that tubing you're using there?? Where'd ya get your tubing from??

Went hunting for tape and tubing at the LHS (well, "local" for me, about 25 or so miles away) and turned up empty on both counts... figures... have to order it online.

Got the tape in the shopping cart from the place you linked to, but can't find the tubing assortment you have there...

Last edited:
Luke....I used tubing from Evergreen rod and tubing assortment #217...I believe the size of that tubing is 3/32"
my local hobby shop had this hanging on a rack..that is where I picked it up...it is on Ebay right now at this link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergreen-Rod-Tube-Assortment-EVG217-/380956748063?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item58b2caa91f

Thanks... I ordered a few assorted sizes for cheap on the site you linked to... along with the tape.

You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for a pack of maybe a half dozen pieces of plastruct... nearly $5 bucks a package! I about fell over-- I got some packages a year or so ago-- price tags are still on them-- $2.45 each... I know they moved into a fancy new hobby shop and built an RC racecar track and stuff, but still...

Course it didn't matter anyway-- they didn't have any of the tape I was looking for... just some wide stuff (about 3/16 on up). Course when I looked for the plastruct, they had a display rack with a fairly decent selection-- but not the stuff I needed. Can't sell what you don't stock, even at stupid high prices... their tape prices were pretty ridiculous too... up around $5 bucks a roll...

I got the stuff off the hobby site you linked to for about 45 CENTS a piece for the plastruct tubing, in several different sizes, and the tape was around $3 dollars each... Course shipping sucked, but that's STILL cheaper than I could have gotten it at the LHS, if they had even had the stuff...

Thanks again!

OK...you are in good shape then...the tape is a neat little touch in my opinion....you will get a lot of use out of it on all of your builds, especially Saturn 1bs!!

Thanks... I ordered a few assorted sizes for cheap on the site you linked to... along with the tape.

You wouldn't believe how much they wanted for a pack of maybe a half dozen pieces of plastruct... nearly $5 bucks a package! I about fell over-- I got some packages a year or so ago-- price tags are still on them-- $2.45 each... I know they moved into a fancy new hobby shop and built an RC racecar track and stuff, but still...

Course it didn't matter anyway-- they didn't have any of the tape I was looking for... just some wide stuff (about 3/16 on up). Course when I looked for the plastruct, they had a display rack with a fairly decent selection-- but not the stuff I needed. Can't sell what you don't stock, even at stupid high prices... their tape prices were pretty ridiculous too... up around $5 bucks a roll...

I got the stuff off the hobby site you linked to for about 45 CENTS a piece for the plastruct tubing, in several different sizes, and the tape was around $3 dollars each... Course shipping sucked, but that's STILL cheaper than I could have gotten it at the LHS, if they had even had the stuff...

Thanks again!

OK...you are in good shape then...the tape is a neat little touch in my opinion....you will get a lot of use out of it on all of your builds, especially Saturn 1bs!!

Should prove useful on ALL the Saturns that used an Apollo spacecraft and BPC... :)

Thanks for the tips in finding it... :)

Thanks a million for this thread, I'm working on the Zooch Saturn 1B right now and it has been extremely helpful.

When you attached the fins did you cut through the wrap so the fins could be glued directly to the tube? Dr. Z recommends that in his instructions but it sounds tricky.

thanks Daddy....I figured out how to boil water the hard way...took out our old tea pot that had not been used in years and boiled away with it to roll tanks and then broke the handle....I did the first thing any married man would do....hide it back up on the shelf....took less than a week for SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED to discover it...so the tea pot you see in those pictures was purchased by yours truly at Bed Bath & Beyond solely for the purpose of rolling Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b tanks....I sucked it up and waded into that store with my wife...only to emerge 2 hours alter with that tea pot....too much estrogen in that store for me...my shopping philosophy can be patterned to Seal Team 6....get in, get the target and get the %&#@ out...my wife's shopping philosophy?, not so much....

That got me laughing. Well put, NJRick. I agree, too much estrogen in that store (and many more like that chain).

Many thanks for the thread! For many years I've had a Zooch 1B in my stash, but haven't built it because of the fear of rolling tubes.

Hi Trachten...I am glad that the thread is helpful! The Zooch 1b is my favorite kit, plastic or rocket, of all time. I did not cut thru the wrap on my last couple of 1bs....kinda just to see what happens and I have not lost a fin. If you are going to do so, just score the wrap ever so slightly until you cut through the wrap and not the tube.

post pictures! we love pictures on the Forum! what is great about the Zooch kit is if you build it stock, straight out of the box, you get a really cool looking rocket. you will find she flies great! stable as a rock! If you want to add extra detail, you can go to your hearts content!

Thanks a million for this thread, I'm working on the Zooch Saturn 1B right now and it has been extremely helpful.

When you attached the fins did you cut through the wrap so the fins could be glued directly to the tube? Dr. Z recommends that in his instructions but it sounds tricky.

rocketed....that is great! I am glad that you found the thread helpful! Building a Zooch 1b is really an act of love for me. I love that kit! Dr. Zooch makes a kit that looks great when done and cost you $25....They fly great too!

The steaming of the tanks was not my idea. I read a thread done by one of the masters of this Forum, Chris Michaelson aka hcmbanjo. Chris explained how to steam and roll the tanks. The Zooch 1b was my BAR rocket....first rocket I tried to build in 30 years and no matter what I did, I couldn't roll the tanks. Then I can across Chris' thread and it was literally like discovering the Rosetta Stone.

Just take your time with the tanks and you'll find you spitting them out like nothing after a few rolls. Once you get the tanks rolled, the rest of this kit is very straight forward.

Many thanks for the thread! For many years I've had a Zooch 1B in my stash, but haven't built it because of the fear of rolling tubes.

Rocketed....my wife zoomed in on that tea pot I broke in less than a week. It has literally sat on the shelf for years un used. I use it and I break the darned thing. Luke was right, I should have thrown it out to hide the evidence! I would rather travel to North Korea than go to Bed Bath & Beyond...there is nothing in that store for me...zero!! My wife can shop in there for HOURS!! I told her I can't go in there anymore and have managed to get out of entering that store for the most part.

That got me laughing. Well put, NJRick. I agree, too much estrogen in that store (and many more like that chain).

Rocketed....my wife zoomed in on that tea pot I broke in less than a week. It has literally sat on the shelf for years un used. I use it and I break the darned thing. Luke was right, I should have thrown it out to hide the evidence! I would rather travel to North Korea than go to Bed Bath & Beyond...there is nothing in that store for me...zero!! My wife can shop in there for HOURS!! I told her I can't go in there anymore and have managed to get out of entering that store for the most part.

I tell my wife that all the foo-foo smells in there of the girly soap and perfumed stuff makes me sick, so I don't have to go in there...

Alcohol fumes from monster trucks are cathartic and will help in the healing process however...

LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Luke...you are 100% correct....the alcohol fumes as well as the roaring of the engines in medicine to us guys...buying this the teapot in this build thread....I was in and done shopping after 60 seconds.......the remaining 2 hours walking behind my wife was agony....looking at towels, smelling soaps, picking up throw pillows.... just awful.

I tell my wife that all the foo-foo smells in there of the girly soap and perfumed stuff makes me sick, so I don't have to go in there...

Alcohol fumes from monster trucks are cathartic and will help in the healing process however...

LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Luke...you are 100% correct....the alcohol fumes as well as the roaring of the engines in medicine to us guys...buying this the teapot in this build thread....I was in and done shopping after 60 seconds.......the remaining 2 hours walking behind my wife was agony....looking at towels, smelling soaps, picking up throw pillows.... just awful.

Here's something to help...

Spent my weekend pushing brush piles up with the tractor (well, my brother ran the tractor-- Keira and I picked up old cedar fence posts and large chunks of broken limbs and stuff as he pushed up the brush into piles). "Brush" isn't really the right word... most of these were trees anywhere from 10-20 feet tall or so that we poisoned in the fencelines at Shiner two years ago... wind took some of them down and the loader tractor knocks down the rest, then pushes them up in piles...

Then we took a 14 gallon electric sprayer, strapped it down in an old wagon, strapped a car jumper back to the back of it for power, hooked it all up, filled it with diesel, grabbed the propane torch to light stuff off, and set piles on fire last night around dark...

Woo-HOO!!! Lotsa fun! Had seven bonfires going at once! Here's a pic looking from the top of the front hill of the farm across the valley toward the middle fill of the farm...
IMG_20150207_220624284.jpg
The one about 100 yards behind my folks house up there, my uncle tossed two 2.5 gallon plastic jugs of peanut oil in there after he finished frying their Thanksgiving turkeys... who knew peanut oil burned like antimatter??? LOL:) When that stuff went, flames were shooting 20 feet up into the sky! Burned like that for over an hour as well...
IMG_20150208_240840802.jpg
IMG_20150207_220434089.jpg

Anyway, the smell of diesel smoke, burning trees, cedar posts, and peanut oil with flames roaring into the sky certainly beats all that foo-foo crap smell in those girly stores...

now that looks like a good productive day!!!

Here's something to help...

Spent my weekend pushing brush piles up with the tractor (well, my brother ran the tractor-- Keira and I picked up old cedar fence posts and large chunks of broken limbs and stuff as he pushed up the brush into piles). "Brush" isn't really the right word... most of these were trees anywhere from 10-20 feet tall or so that we poisoned in the fencelines at Shiner two years ago... wind took some of them down and the loader tractor knocks down the rest, then pushes them up in piles...

Then we took a 14 gallon electric sprayer, strapped it down in an old wagon, strapped a car jumper back to the back of it for power, hooked it all up, filled it with diesel, grabbed the propane torch to light stuff off, and set piles on fire last night around dark...

Woo-HOO!!! Lotsa fun! Had seven bonfires going at once! Here's a pic looking from the top of the front hill of the farm across the valley toward the middle fill of the farm...
View attachment 254369
The one about 100 yards behind my folks house up there, my uncle tossed two 2.5 gallon plastic jugs of peanut oil in there after he finished frying their Thanksgiving turkeys... who knew peanut oil burned like antimatter??? LOL:) When that stuff went, flames were shooting 20 feet up into the sky! Burned like that for over an hour as well...
View attachment 254372
View attachment 254370

Anyway, the smell of diesel smoke, burning trees, cedar posts, and peanut oil with flames roaring into the sky certainly beats all that foo-foo crap smell in those girly stores...

Back