My other hobby...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last March I bought an RC truck from TRAXXAS. A Slash 4x4; the basic model cost me $364 shipped, which really isn't that bad. It the time that I owned it I only ran it about dozen times. Torn it completely apart a few times and then became some what bored with it. Just recently I sold it, but not as a whole, I parted it out. Strangely enough I made more money parting it out above what I initially paid for it new. I still have the motor to sell and the rest of the stuff I have are upgrades I might keep if I get back into it or I may sell? TRAXXAS makes an upgraded Platinum edition of the truck that has all the bells and whistles, but I'm debating if I really want to get involved with the hobby again or maybe go with a Nitro/gas powered truck. Electric is fine and has it's PROS, but I feel like I'm driving a toy.

I may just not bother at all. Rocketry has always been my passion and the thing that keeps me involved are the nice people in this forum. I don't have that same kind of connection with others in the RC forums. For them it's always about having the best or biggest truck around and their knowledge and methods are questionable at best. By experiencing this with others in the RC forums makes me want to just get out of the hobby all together. Is it expensive...it can be, but like any other hobby including rocketry you have to know where to draw the line if that's the case and keep things realistic. Buy only what you need...when you start buying what you want you wallet shrinks.

Has anyone out been involved with any sort of RC hobbies and have you had the same experience in the RC forums?

I was big into it back when I was 16. A bit after my rocket phase. It was terribly expensive to compete in races. You pretty much needed a new motor each time you went racing or a machine to trim the brushes or whatever. I saved up and got a nitro truck that I could never get to work. I just gave up, but the truck still looks sweet.

Couple weeks ago I went to hobby town to get some wadding and grabbed their holiday catalog. The tech has really changed. Seems the motors are brushless now, but they are darn pricey. No rockets in the catalog at all. Made me sad.

Yeah the RC hobby can be very pricey and with all the new technology that TRAXXAS offers can be very tempting. I consider myself lucky ti get my money back and then some from it. At least now I have options. There is a gas power truck that LOSI makes and it's 1/5th scale. Expensive, but would be cool to have. It's basically a two stroke motor and runs on gasoline mixture, which is a lot cheaper than Nitro. It's $1500 though.

https://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0019WHTBD

Read some of the posts by R/C jet flyers .Generalizations are bad and inaccurate but there are a ton of posts written by people with pen...oops turbine envy

r/c boats can be fairly inexpensive and the electric scale folks seem well behaved...the go-fast stuff can drain a wallet in no time.

Back