No respect....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Rex

Ordinary Average Guy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Had a tooth worked on this morning, so I thought I would play with a rocket to take my mind off the ache in my mouth. (Didn't hurt til it was worked on...)
Anyway, I go out to the garage where my rocket stuff was moved while I was away at work. (16weeks away gave the family WAY too much time to rearrange my world) first thing I find is destroyed rockets. Assembled, never flown. (Viking, Full Betty, Super Alpha, Cosmic Explorer). OK, I take a breath, count to a hundred.
Continuing on my quest... Hmmm, box of hobby knives is missing, as well as epoxy, wood glue, and CA.

Oh well, I guess I'll be making a run to Lowes and Hobby Lobby tomorrow. Dang I get tired of buying things that I already 'own'

Y'all have fun!!

If I had that issue.. I would do the exact something to my kids rooms.

Just break a few of their toys and remove a few things..

From there I would build a shed and pad lock them out of it.

Fortunately Deb has learned not to play, touch, rearrange, move , or otherwise disturb my stuff. I do a fine job of screwing things up myself and need no help--AT ALL--!!! Want to upset me ? Move my stuff and when I ask--"where is so and so?" the answer is "what does it look like?"---ARGGGGGGG

Last edited:
My folks have learned not to touch my rockets, tools, or archery equipment without asking.

I told my sister that if she ruined any of my rockets, I would pull up records of every single rocketry purchase I have ever made, add it up, and give her the bill. For EVERY. SINGLE. ROCKET!!!!!!!

Needless to say, she has not ever been out to my workshop.

Terry-

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you could use some space of your own.

Greave the loss. Just remember the family will will use you words against in the future. Choose your words wisely and start rebuilding.

I told my sister that if she ruined any of my rockets, I would pull up records of every single rocketry purchase I have ever made, add it up, and give her the bill. For EVERY. SINGLE. ROCKET!!!!!!!

Needless to say, she has not ever been out to my workshop.

So like...3 rockets? :wink:

THAT is one serious piss off. I can't blame you for being angry at all.
Do choose your words carefully in regards to your family, but something does need to be said. This is your hobby and your property.

Once you cool down and stop saying bad words, under your breath to yourself, start designing. The first thing you design is a rocket box. Not to hold all your birds, but all your parts and tools. If you can rig a fold away top for a workbench, even better. Padlock it and stash it an unused corner (yeah, I know). Maybe a label "Detonator is armed".

Mike

I have not said a word other than mentioning to daughter that I was a little aggravated when she inquired why I was grumpier than normal. I have come to expect this type of behavior if I am away for an extended time. Happens far too much.

I had already decided that I would wall in a portion of the garage as a man cave. Mrs and daughter agree with it in theory. I am sure the response will be priceless when I move all of their stuff out of the cave. May even pick some insulation and a couple pieces of sheet rock while I am at Lowes tomorrow, just enough to get the project started. Probably some outlets and electrical boxes as well. (My garage is a shell with lights)

I'm hoping that building a wall and closing in a garage stall will be cheaper than building a shed. This way I will have electricity as well.

Last night I had Starship Vega dreams (because I finally ordered the nosecone??), tonight I'm guessing they will be more carpentry related.

Y'all have fun, thanx for letting me vent!

I feel for your loss Terry..Had sort of the same thing happen to me with my ex-gf and her daughters..BUT, this was in ONE day while I was at work..Rockets moved, EVERYTHING rearranged, stuff 'missing'..Thankfully only a couple got any dings-minor- still...Now, I don't have to worry about that!:D Empty nester, just me and my 2 dogs and 2 cats! So far nothing has been 'misplaced', knocked over?- yeah..But all in all a much more peaceful rocket haven...

I think it's time you invest in a shed that you can pad lock. You can make some VERY nice man caves out of some of the sheds if it gets hot or cold just put some insulation in it buy a nice space heater and a nice window mount AC Unit.

I have not said a word other than mentioning to daughter that I was a little aggravated when she inquired why I was grumpier than normal. I have come to expect this type of behavior if I am away for an extended time. Happens far too much.

I had already decided that I would wall in a portion of the garage as a man cave. Mrs and daughter agree with it in theory. I am sure the response will be priceless when I move all of their stuff out of the cave. May even pick some insulation and a couple pieces of sheet rock while I am at Lowes tomorrow, just enough to get the project started. Probably some outlets and electrical boxes as well. (My garage is a shell with lights)

I'm hoping that building a wall and closing in a garage stall will be cheaper than building a shed. This way I will have electricity as well.

Last night I had Starship Vega dreams (because I finally ordered the nosecone??), tonight I'm guessing they will be more carpentry related.

Y'all have fun, thanx for letting me vent!

Make sure you get a locking door for your "man cave"... otherwise the temptation is too great for them to go in there...

Thing is, basically, as you mentioned, it's a respect issue. I use the dining room table in our unused dining room for my rocket stuff, and have a cabinet behind it for supplies. I've never had the wife or my 8 year old daugher offer to mess with my stuff... heck even my nephews, when they come over, respect my stuff.

I, in turn, respect my daughter's stuff... even when she decides she's going to turn the house into a "motel" and puts up hand-drawn directions and labels on all the rooms and hallways and stuff... and we try to keep her "craft" area halfway neat, without dinking up her "projects". Similarly, my wife has her sewing stuff and all that, and I leave her stuff alone.

I think you need to have a serious, quiet conversation about respecting each other's stuff and space. I trust you don't go into your daughter(s) room(s) or your wife's stuff and muss it up, throw stuff out, or break it out of carelessness... (if you do, well, we've discovered part of the problem). When you've got your stuff in the garage, then there's NO REASON for them to be messing with it and breaking stuff... that's just plain disrespectful... Point out by asking how they'd like it were you to rifle through their room, and destroy some of their more prized possessions in the process...

I'd also hold them accountable. Let them know how much the rockets that were destroyed cost, along with the cost of building supplies and materials to complete them, and the time investment to build them. Tell them you EXPECT and DEMAND to be repaid for the things they destroyed through their thoughtlessness... take it out of their allowances, or privileges, or gas money, or refusing to let them use the car, or whatever... You can't get the time back you put into them, but you can punish them by refusing to take them to the movies or out to eat or something, since you have to spend that time rebuilding what they destroyed (not taking them to something they REALLY want to go to, can be an effective tool to get the point across. Of course the money saved for tickets or meals can go to replacing your destroyed rockets, and make sure that they KNOW that!) Next time the wife wants to go to dinner or your inlaws, tell her "sorry, I'm not going-- I have to rebuild that rocket yall destroyed while I was away."

This sort of thing happens because you DON'T CALL THEM ON IT. You said you've "come to expect this sort of thing". So long as you put up with it and don't make them own up to it and deal with the consequences (loss of privileges, loss of time, whatever) then it will continue... they see you as a "pushover" and there's no motivation to change. Your wife should have your back in this... Kids can do dumb stuff, it happens-- but they ALSO need to learn that it is NOT ACCEPTABLE and there ARE REPERCUSSIONS because of their actions. If you're wife is part of the problem, then sounds like you two need to have a discussion about mutual respect as well...

Look at this as an opportunity for improvement for everybody... mutual respect is something they might as well learn now... because most folks WILL NOT be as tolerant or forgiving as you appear to be... (me included!)

later and good luck! OL JR :)

I've become passive-aggressive over the years. SWMBO will ask my opinion then go/do/buy what ever anyway.
This event occurred because Her daughter and family 'needed' a place to say for a 'little while' so one half of our house was cleared to make room for them. SWMBO and I do not share a room (long story, TMI), and 'my room' was one of those cleared.
What I really need to be doing is saving up enough to get myself a camper to live in and say adios. 11yo makes that difficult tho.

I've become passive-aggressive over the years. SWMBO will ask my opinion then go/do/buy what ever anyway.
This event occurred because Her daughter and family 'needed' a place to say for a 'little while' so one half of our house was cleared to make room for them. SWMBO and I do not share a room (long story, TMI), and 'my room' was one of those cleared.
What I really need to be doing is saving up enough to get myself a camper to live in and say adios. 11yo makes that difficult tho.

Ah, ok... sounds like a bad situation...

Best of luck to you... sounds like you'll need it...

Later! OL JR :)

PS... the whole "go/buy/do whatever anyway after asking your opinion"... that's just women in general...
My wife gets frustrated with me from time to time when she asks for my opinion on something and I either 1) genuinely DON'T HAVE AN OPINION or 2) couldn't care less.

Oh well...

PS... the whole "go/buy/do whatever anyway after asking your opinion"... that's just women in general...
My wife gets frustrated with me from time to time when she asks for my opinion on something and I either 1) genuinely DON'T HAVE AN OPINION or 2) couldn't care less.

Oh well...

Yep, been there, done that, just haven't got the t-shirt yet.....

Dad is just crazy enough that my kids stay out of my man cave. Not quite sure what he will do to them. :) My three year old still has problems wandering in but I love it when she comes to visit.

TA

Terry, I'm not a Dad so I won't comment on that part.if they apologized to you that would be nice.
I was once commissioned to build a few wall sections so a friend could have a bolt-up indoor garage "Shed" for his re-loading equipment.
He also wanted the stuff a little more weather proofed for humidity reasons.
Basically it was framed 4x8 sheets of plywood bolted together and foam insulation added into the panels. In retrospect we agreed it could also have been done in 4x4 panels. He could probably take it down and have it in his pick-up in a couple hours.
I don't have pics,but the last time I talked to him he had expanded with more panels and bought one of those stand alone A/C units.
He also sealed it up better with foil duct tape.It just had extension cords..but it did the job.

John

My brother, who loves his wife and daughter dearly, lives in a small camper most of the year just for his privacy. It keeps the peace. He moves back into the house when it gets real cold out.

Was thinking this morning that the rocket dungeon is going to be more or less 12x12 due to existing interferences and to reduce cost. Since there is power, I could effectively live in the rocket dungeon (with exception of sanitary facilities) though here in TX, I could probably make a solar water heater & composting toilet work. Would make it so I am here for the family, but have my own space. Probably not legal to live in the garage, but much cheaper than trying to set up a camper on the property.

Or I suppose I could just continue as things are and serve as a warning to others (Warning: this could happen to you!!)
(image property of Despair.com)

despair1.jpg

The reason that I "gave up" On low power was that EVERY rocket I built got broken usually before the first flight. I have 3 Five gallon bins full of LPR (all broken) So I switched to MPR/HPR Fiberglass kits- That worked for 3 years, but I came home to find 2 fins off of my Dark Star JR. and a missing fin (no one knows where it is) on my 4" DarkStar... And they were held on with ProLine! Eh, what are you gonna do....
Im gonna get a small storage unit just to store rockets in I think. We will see

If you have room I think having a work shed is the way to go. I've seen them at Lowe's and Home Depot. They can be pretty pricey, but it will allow you an area to work and not have your stuff disturb. Like someone mentioned you can put a pad lock on it and not worry about anyone getting in. Give you some space too. I would be upset too.

In reguards to the first post..I would be livid, it's time to lay down the law. Do not touch my stuff with out permission. Jeff is right on, it's about respect. I would probably take the action as described by DV in post 2. As I read the various threads on this forum and see the problem's several have with thier significant other, I come to realize more and more how blessed I am to have the one I have. But she's German, raised in a completey different culture. Her idea of a home is the Martha Stewart, Better Home's and Garden atmosphere. And our house was well on it's way to that point untill I spent two years unemployed, at which time I got into paper modeling, (which helped me keep my sanity during that time) any way I basically took over the house.

We have a small home, the living room, dinning room are basically one room, so my man cave, work space is that area. As long as I'm happy and in good spirits, she's happy and in good spirits and peace reigns in the home. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tyrant or dictator, I treat her with the love and respect she diserves and expect in return. I try to keep my displays neat and tastefull, in actuality she would have grounds to complain, here's why...

In this pic I have the Merc project awaiting rebuild sitting right in front of her curier cabinet..blocking it.

IMG_1448.jpg

These next pics show how my fleet is displayed, the big shelf I built specifically for model display, all the shelve's in here I built, actually for her nic-nac display's which have since been taken over.

IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1450.jpg

My work bench is the kitchen table, which we use daily, and and the material and part's area, the corner next to it.

IMG_1449.jpg

Thing's are starting to get out of hand and I'll need to make space soon so I know some thing's are going to have to go. One way I handle this is to give some away to kid's that are interested. Matter of fact, she just walked in from grocery shopping and asked who I'm writing to, I explained, showed her and we began discussing what changes we are going to make to the current situation. When we put our heads together we can come up with some good, tastefull and mutually equitable agreement's.

If you really want to see a radical model display (area) HOUSE, check out this link. This is the web-site for Scott (Mercism), he's the designer of the 1/4 Mercury capsule and is also big in rocketry, and building full size, actually flyable aircraft, and many RC aircraft.

https://www.spacecraftreplicas.com/ https://www.spacecraftreplicas.com/gallery

Hang in there, you'll work it out.

Mark

Last edited:
Back