Long term project: K&S Super Flash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarasdad

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I received a K&S Super Flash kit from a fellow TRF member - thanks again, Bill! This is by far the most ambitious project on my list. Due to the complexity and size (dual deploy, 38mm mount) I plan to go at this one slowly. I'm hoping to make this my L1 project and fly it later this year. I'll have to gather some things first and that will take time.

Before I even start I need to ask a few questions. As I said this kit is designed to be flown in dual deploy configuration. In order to simplify my L1 attempt is it possible to fly this as single deploy? If so what size chute should I use for the hard surfaced playa where I launch? Same question for drogue and main for DD operation.

While test fitting kit components I noticed that the two couplers included for assembling the electronics bay are rather loose in he body tube sections. What is the best way to snug them for a secure fit? I'm thinking narrow strips of masking tape and epoxy for the e bay, then tape to snug ithem to the other body tubes?

There will be other questions once I actually get into construction.

I was curious to know what this kit was and a Google search isn't finding anything. Link?

I was curious to know what this kit was and a Google search isn't finding anything. Link?

Go to KandS rockets site and you will find it under kits, its red with black fins. I am exited to see this build, I really like the av bays. My Flash X2 just shipped and should start building it next week.

Here's the regular Flash, 1.64" and 29mm motor mount: https://www.kandsrockets.com/flash.htm The kit I have is the Super Flash, 2.6" with a 38mm Motor Mount. From what I was told this kit was discontinued last year. I really don't have any more info than that.

I'll try to get some pics of the kit components in the next day or two.

Here's the regular Flash, 1.64" and 29mm motor mount: https://www.kandsrockets.com/flash.htm The kit I have is the Super Flash, 2.6" with a 38mm Motor Mount. From what I was told this kit was discontinued last year. I really don't have any more info than that.
The super flash is 54mm body with a 38mm motor mount. These where limit run. I will be offering this kit in 4" very soon.

Before I even start I need to ask a few questions. As I said this kit is designed to be flown in dual deploy configuration. In order to simplify my L1 attempt is it possible to fly this as single deploy?
Absolutely! I fly a lot of my dual deploy rockets in single deploy mode if I am lazy and don't feel like prepping the altimeter..You can either remove the coupler and payload tube and fly 'shorty', or keep it as it would be DD(make sure the nose cone is secure!) and move the main chute to where the drogue would be at the separation point..
If so what size chute should I use for the hard surfaced playa where I launch? Same question for drogue and main for DD operation.
Well, according the the RS screenshot, you're looking at about a 4-5lb rocket when done..I would go with a 48" main..I fly drogue-less;)

Well, according the the RS screenshot, you're looking at about a 4-5lb rocket when done..I would go with a 48" main..I fly drogue-less;)

This rocket without motor should be around 2 1/2 pounds in dual deployment setup. I use a 36" chute in mine and no drogue chute but sometimes put a small streamer for tracking.

A couple of days ago I received a K&S Super Flash kit from a fellow TRF member - thanks again, Bill! This is by far the most ambitious project on my list. Due to the complexity and size (dual deploy, 38mm mount) I plan to go at this one slowly. I'm hoping to make this my L1 project and fly it later this year. I'll have to gather some things first and that will take time.

Before I even start I need to ask a few questions. As I said this kit is designed to be flown in dual deploy configuration. In order to simplify my L1 attempt is it possible to fly this as single deploy? If so what size chute should I use for the hard surfaced playa where I launch? Same question for drogue and main for DD operation.

While test fitting kit components I noticed that the two couplers included for assembling the electronics bay are rather loose in he body tube sections. What is the best way to snug them for a secure fit? I'm thinking narrow strips of masking tape and epoxy for the e bay, then tape to snug ithem to the other body tubes?

There will be other questions once I actually get into construction.

Send me a email with your shipping info and I will send you a new set of couplers. [email protected]

So 36" chute below the av bay then tape tp secure the nose cone? Seems easy enough. I do plan on getting an Adept22 soon(ish) to use with this and other rockets as well.

Secure the nosecone with shear pins
Use a large (36") chute. You can use the same chute for DD and SD
Use removable rivets to hold the coupler in the upper tube

To attach the upper tube to the electronics bay you will find 2 t-nuts and button head screws. Look at the picture below to see how to attach it.

Picture 035.jpg

Picture 031.jpg

Picture 033.jpg

Here is a photo of what was in the box:

Super Flash Parts.jpg

All of the kit parts are of excellent quality. Heavy wall body tubes, birch ply, heavy shock cords, nicely molded nose cone - couldn't ask for better! I'm looking forward to building this one for sure! It'll be a while since I have to acquire a few supplies first but I'll post updates when they happen.

Here is a photo of what was in the box:

View attachment 113368

All of the kit parts are of excellent quality. Heavy wall body tubes, birch ply, heavy shock cords, nicely molded nose cone - couldn't ask for better! I'm looking forward to building this one for sure! It'll be a while since I have to acquire a few supplies first but I'll post updates when they happen.

You are missing the hardware bag for the electronics bay. I will send one with the couplers. I sent you a reply to your email about laying out the parts in the electronics bay bag so I can make sure all parts are there. If anything is missing I will send them along with the other parts.

Scott, I've compared what's in the bag with what's shown on the CD and it's all there. That's why I didn't pull it all out of the bag. We're good to go with the electronics bay components!

Scott, I've compared what's in the bag with what's shown on the CD and it's all there. That's why I didn't pull it all out of the bag. We're good to go with the electronics bay components!

Okay. I will get the rest of the part together and ship out Monday.

Folks, this is what you call outstanding customer service. I'm not even the original purchaser yet Scott is standing behind his product as if I were! :w:

Last edited:
I decided to go ahead and do some preliminary work on this. I built the altimeter sled, came out perfect. Used thick CA for assembly but plan to add epoxy reinforcements as well.

One thing I hadn't realized was that the lower body tube needed to be slotted for the fins. I dry fitted the motor mount assembly, took measurements then transferred them to the body tube and marked it for the slots. There was a bit of trepidation when I picked up my hobby knife to start cutting but I took a deep breath and started making light passes to score the lines. It took a few minutes of careful work but the first slot came out perfect. I fitted the motor mount in to check the fit and everything was spot on! I have two more to cut but will leave those for tomorrow.

Dry fitting the parts is an eye-opener. This rocket is by far the biggest I've tackled yet, not to mention the most complex in both build and operation. I am really looking forward to getting this one built and flying. I'm going to do my best to do justice to this awesome kit!

Did a little more work today. Finished the fin slots, epoxied the forward CR and shock cord to the motor mount and filled the seam on the nose cone.

IMG_3555.jpg

I also did a little on the fins by rounding the leading edge and sanding a bevel on the tip and trailing edge. Not a true airfoil shape but it'll do.

IMG_3557.jpg

There's not too much more I can do before I reach a stopping point dut to lack of parts and supplies. I need to get JB weld for one thing, plus filler to use making epoxy fillets. I'd like to get some West Systems epoxy but it's just too darned expensive so I'm going to have to make do with my BSI. I also ran out of CWF building my QCC Explorer. The major thing I need to come up with is a good parachute.

Speaking of chutes, I'm trying to decide what would be the best one to use. Our launch site is scrub desert and can be pretty darned hard. I'm looking at either a 36" or 42" chute depending on design. Top Flight is at he top of my list right now, either their Crossfire or X-Type. There are others I'd love to get (Fruity Chutes for one) but I have to watch my pennies.

So much still to figure out, such as how to connect everything together, what motor do I want to fly it on and most importantly what color scheme do I use?? Aaaaaaaaaaah!!! :y:

What's the yellow parachute in the picture? I am assuming a 24" chute? If that's the case, you definitely need a larger parachute, and I would recommend a 36" for sure.

Looks like either 22" or 24", havent measured. Good for a drogue.

It should be a 30 or 36 chute in the kit.

I'll double check. Could be bigger than I thought.

---------------

Just measured, the one I have is 24". Not a problem as I have plenty of uses for a nice nylon chute that size.

Not much progress today. Got the motor mount epoxied in. Only the front CR, the rear is left where I can pull it out after the fins are in place. Before I do anything else I need to fill the body spirals. Since I don't have any CWF (or not enough, anyway) I'm thinking of trying Squadron White Putty. It fills well and sands like a dream so I think it should work.

Nice kit. Looks similar in style and components to the 54mm LOC Vulcanite and Onyx. The 54mm and 38mm airframe tubes are the thickest and most durable. Others, like 2.6", are rather wimpy.

This kit will easily do 2500' on an average H motor and 7000'+ on an I motor, so plan your Level 1 cert flight accordingly.

Enjoy your build and good luck!

Well, I've reached a point where I can't go any further until I get certain finishing supplies, namely more CWF. The fins and the body spirals need to be filled and sanded before I can proceed. I won't be able to get those supplies until my SSDI money deposits the second Wed of February. On of the "joys" of disability.

At least it gives me plenty of time to think about a paint scheme. I'm thinking copper and blue, just have to work out the pattern.

Back