Long term project: K&S Super Flash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up the yellow yesterday. Started putting on the three blue wedges. Comes out a bit darker on the yellow but eh, it is what it is. Decided in the interest of simplicity to just go with blue on the nose cone - that, and I'm really tired of dealing with yellow. There are still some thin spots in the yellow on the motor section but they're as good as they're going to get. If they annoy me too much I may just slap a sticker of some sort on them to cover them up.

There is still a lot of work to do before I'll be remotely close to ready to fly this one. A lot of money to be spent as well, as I still need to join Tripoli or NAR. Need to get a bit of hardware for the recovery system, some decent rail buttons (comes with three piece), JB Weld for the retainer, and something else...if I could only remember what it was...

Oh, yeah!! A motor!! :roll:

Well, at long last the Super Flash is finally painted! Got the last bits done today!

K&S Super Flash - all painted up!
SuperFlashPainted_zpsf073d1a3.jpg

Fin detail
SuperFlashFins_zps60b9853a.jpg

Nose detail
IMG_3676_zpse1367203.jpg

There is a slight difference in the shade of the blue where it was sprayed over the yellow on the fin section and the white primer of the rest. From a few feet away it's hardly noticeable. I'll take it out in the sun tomorrow to see what it looks like and then decide whether another coat on the upper body tube and nose cone is in order. For now though I'm pretty darned happy with how it came out!

Another tiny bit of progress. I've been dithering over the rail buttons that came with the kit. They're the 3 piece style and I've been wanting to get 1 piece instead. Finally just broke down and installed the ones it came with. No sense spending money I don't have too when I have something perfectly useable on hand.

Now I just need to get some JB Weld so I can install the motor retainer. Once that's done the rocket is basically complete - finally! Installing the recovery system is nothing since the only permanent piece is the section of Kevlar strap epoxied to the motor mount. All the rest will be removable for maintenance and cleaning.

Thanks, Kit! I used Frog Tape (yellow, for delicate surfaces) to mask the paint job. Not one single bleed-under to be found! Super happy with the way it worked.

While out doing errands I stopped by Auto Zone and picked up some JB Weld. The motor retainer is now installed! As far as construction goes this rocket is now finished!

Back