Long term project: K&S Super Flash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I may end up doing. I double-dipped the fins with 30 minute epoxy when I mounted them so they should be in there for good. Just need to get some clay to make the dams with.

Man, what is it with hobbies - they nickel and dime you to death!

Just use your 30 minute epoxy and add some microballons to it to thicken it. Make it the consistence of peanut butter. If you do not have microballons you can use talc powder (baby powder). I have used baby powder more than once for fillets. Take a look at my bull pup 12d thread and you can see how I do my fillets.

Well, first two fillets are on. Going to let them set up overnight to see how they turned out. So far they're looking okay but it's hard to tell for sure.

Lessons learned - 1) it takes WAY less epoxy than I mixed to make two fillets; 2) it takes a lot more talcum powder than I thought to get peanut butter consistency; 3) BSI epoxy and talc make a sickly grey color when mixed.

Photos or it did not happen! :)

Yo! You headed to Ariel Acres? I'll be there bright and bushy tailed. :) Hope the W stays away. I have had 1 launch in almost two months. Not good!!

I'll take photos after the fillets are all done. First time I've done epoxy fillets so I want to focus on getting them done right before I worry about pics. Figuring out the right amount to mix and to put on before shaping is very much a learning experience!

Not sure if I'll be coming out yet. May be short on gas money for the trip, have to see tomorrow night. It will also depend on the wind, as I only have a few smaller motors (1/2A6-2, B6-4 and C6-5) in my box right now.

All the fillets are done! A bit more filling and sanding and it'll be ready for primer. One thing for sure, I may never be able to get rid of the smell of baby powder from my workbench - or me!

IMG_3568_zps53dca912.jpg

IMG_3571_zps1bf4b52c.jpg

Thanks! Once I got the technique down it was a lot easier than I feared it would be. Just need to do a tiny bit of sanding still.

I think I'm going to get a 30" Top Flight standard parachute. From their chart it should be plenty big for where I fly. Not sure I can go much bigger due to the tight area for recovery gear.

Been quite a while since I last posted on this thread. Things haven't progressed any from where my last post left off. We've had a bit of a rough time with my mother-in-law fighting cancer (successfully, she's in full remission) and my wife's hours at work being cut in half. We lost our new (well, used, but nearly new) Honda because we couldn't make the payments and ended up having to put a bunch of money into our old one to prolong its life. Needless to say hobbies took a back seat for a long time. We still don't have much money but things are slowly - ever so slowly - moving forward.

I pulled out the Super Flash again and am starting to work on it a bit more. Basically right now I'm getting it ready for paint. I still need to get a parachute and some hardware, or I may just try my hand at making my own 'chute (hah!). The eye bolts that came with the kit are open so I either have to get new welded or forged ones or I may have someone try to weld the ones I have. Beyond that will come as it may.

I haven't given up on the hobby, I've just had to take a rather longer break from it than I'd have preferred.

Well, I was going to lay some primer down today but my back says no. Darned arthritis.

Well, I was going to lay some primer down today but my back says no. Darned arthritis.

Could I trouble you.....................
Would you please tell me the size and weight of the rocket..........

And email me your shipping address............

I have some old chutes laying around collecting dust,,,,
Maybe one will be a good size.............

Teddy

[email protected]

Here's the color scheme I'll be applying:

(click for full size)
Super Flash Paint Scheme.jpg

The lettering is just a sample, although the name is fixed. Haven't decided just how I'm going to put the name on yet. May have to wait until I can afford to order from Stickershock.

Ted, email inbound!

Last edited:
OK Barry,,,
I got the diameter of the rocket..
I am sending a chute,,,
and I have a harness that's going in the package as well....

Teddy

Finished the final fill and sand prior to primer. Now just need to get that done. Too windy today, stirs up way too much dust and sand when I open the garage door. If the wind dies down enough tonight I'll spray the primer coat.

I know when I started this rocket that I said it was a long term project, but sheesh!

The chutes and harnesses are on their way Barry....

Teddy

Do you have the rocksim? I have the kit but the disk is not in the box.

Barry,

Have you figured out the right motor for your L1 flight?

Not yet. Need to decide whether to go with a 38mm motor or a 29mm in an adapter. Going to be a while before I need to make a final decision.

Oh, and no primer today. Got busy with something else and totally forgot about it.

Ted, package arrived! Cannot thank you enough! Time to find a bit of rip-stop and some heavy thread and get to patching!

Primer is done. Grey base, white over. Not perfect, but eh. It is what it is. Besides, I'm out of primer! I'm going to let it cure for a couple of days before I start laying color. Fun part is going to be the yellow.

Once that's done it'll be another break for a while. Going to have to save up money for Tripoli and/or NAR membership, then the money for the motor. Fortunately our local club has a full set of engine hardware for members to use so I just have to get the reload. Of course, that means I'll actually have to choose one!

Well, I just royally screwed up. I forgot that the primer I used was a fast-cure formula so I was actually able to start laying down color. I started with the yellow on the fin can. Light mist coats to build the base, then a wet coat to even things out. I left it drying most of the day. Went out there a few minutes ago and it felt totally dry to the touch so I decided to lay down another coat. BIG mistake. I now have a nice orange peel in place of the glossy smooth surface. I'll have to let it cure a minimum of 24 hours before I try to sand out the bad surface and see if I can repair it. Should have let it cure for a couple of days before recoating.

I am so pissed at myself right now....

I've gotten to the point I use the 96 cent white paint from Walmart to get a smooth shiny base coat and then wait a week before doing any color coats. I also go for the 15 foot paint job. As long as it looks good from 15 feet away, it's OK.

Somewhere around here I have some white Walmart rattle can paint, as well as black and red. Problem is I have no clue where!

Some progress today. Got the blue down on the e-bay and upper body tube. Came out not too shabby for rattle can. Also finished up the sanding on the fins and lower body and started redoing the yellow. Going to go slow this time around and give it a chance to cure properly before another coat goes down. I was going to go yellow on the nose cone to match the lower, but now I'm trying to decide if maybe chrome or gold wouldn't be a bit more spiffy looking.

Back