7.5" Pershing 1A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, many cert flights, the M flight on Saturday, the lighted launch Gary did and the one night launch, lots went really well...I wish I had left more time to watch everyone elses flights.

Frank

Those were some pretty impressive flights. You know, there were actually some really great flights flown this past weekend in spite of the lousy weather. We are Oregonians, aren't we?

That is a beautiful rocket !! I think you need this video in the thread
[video=youtube_share;dGFbjbkCaMg]https://youtu.be/dGFbjbkCaMg[/video]

Thanks all, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'm now working on a 7.5" redstone which will be quite a bit taller but use similar construction.

That will be awesome. The Redstone is one of my favorite rockets.

Awesome photos! Those first two could be a real Pershing launch!

Burke....those pictures and your Pershing are just spectacular!!! Incredible shots! beautiful job with her!!!

Gary Goncher of OROC came through again with some beautiful launch photos of both the J570 and J510 launches and recovery.

Here also is a slowed down version of the video from Rob Appleton showing the liftoff and ejection sequence at 1/8 speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykWu5x5KOY

Burke,
Just saw this thread for the first time and noticed the comment at the start re: not quite scale nose cone.
I can make a scale biconic cone, no problem. I don't think my website was up yet when you started this rocket.
A 7.5 x 37.5 biconic with 4 inch shoulder would be $160 plus shipping. More than you paid but it would be scale.
Maybe next time. Anyone making a 10 inch?

Dan Schwartz

Anyone making a 10 inch?

Oh man....

Have a 8" (8.5") with biconic cone that I never finished the decal work on. Should have - Burke's looks very nice. Flew mine at NSL a few years back. The forward nose section is maple, rear is progressive tube sizes with rings, foamed, turned and then glassed. Outfitted with 1x75mm & 3x38mm.

IMG_0254.jpg

If I were to start thinking about a 10" version - I'd be in DEEP trouble... :rant: :facepalm:

Great job. The 7.5" is on my to build list. I have a line on a Pershing 1A nose cone that Performance Rocketry had once planed on producing. I am rebuilding my 4" thanks to an extra short delay on a H180. I more than likely measured the delay grain wrong.

View attachment 247740

Yes. They were. And though this is a bit of thread necromancy, now that I'm allowed to use the motors, I'm giving that Pershing II build I'd mentioned a couple years ago some more serious thought...

Later!

--Coop

Burke,
Just saw this thread for the first time and noticed the comment at the start re: not quite scale nose cone.
I can make a scale biconic cone, no problem. I don't think my website was up yet when you started this rocket.
A 7.5 x 37.5 biconic with 4 inch shoulder would be $160 plus shipping. More than you paid but it would be scale.
Maybe next time. Anyone making a 10 inch?

Dan Schwartz

I'm making a 12 inch and Python is making the cone.

Here are some great shots from our club president, Gary Goncher, flying the weekend before last on a J-570 and a J-510 in the oregon sagebrush.

Spring_Thunder_2016-20.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-105.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-21.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-22.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-106.jpg

That third photo is maybe my favorite of Gary's from this entire launch. Always love his photos, and of course, amazing job yet again, Frank!

With the loss of my Redstone to the L-1000 I pulled my Pershing 1A out of retirement and flew it on a K-550 using a single 7' rocketman chute with deployment bag and missileworks altimeter to 2800'. This was the straightest I've ever seen a pershing 1a fly. Since I've gotten rocksim I now see that I can move my CG another half a diameter rearward. This was the most tail heavy I've flown and there was not a bobble even with some wind, with the nose weight I built in for the openrocket suggested cg I could theoretically fly it on an L-1000

[video=youtube;TXlslooVPS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlslooVPS8[/video]

Last edited:
My favorite reload for my 7.5 in Pershing-1A is the K1103X. Really flies well with it.

Back