Certify With Us Level 1 build RodRocket Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the wrap on the fins, turned the rest of the job over to the wrap maker. Don't want to ruin such a cool wrap. Darren at Performance Decals has been great through this entire project. Get lots of decals and wrap material from him and love his work. My Little Grunts are also his decal and wrap work. He is usually at our larger Kloudbuster events. Always has a large assortment of wraps and decals to pick from.

The nose cone will get a clear coat once I give it one more light buffing with a 4000 grit buffing pad. Found these little pads in the model section and they come in an assortment with grits from 1500 up to 4000. Take very little paint off and can be used wet. I buffed once with a 3200 pad to knock down the high spots, then a second buff with the 4000 pad. All under running water in the sink.

The pads did take off the gloss from the paint, but the clear coat will take care of that. And then the classic Red Max nose decal will get applied.

Pics to come once I get it back from Darren.

See ya,
Rod

Picked up the Max and am finishing the small details with the cord and chute. Will use the stock kit chute. Added a chute protector, protector is a bit too large but I have additional plans for something neat after I get the cert flight in. It still has plenty of room inside this huge body tube. Won't have any issues with chute deploy here.

This has to be the best looking rocket in the fleet now. These wraps are too cool. Nose cone turned out super nice, added the nose number and the rail guides last night.

Just have to add a small u-bolt and bulkhead to nosecone and finish up the cord.

Getting really excited about the launch.

Thanks to all who put on this program.

Rod

012Mega Max wrap1.jpg

014Mega max wrap3.jpg

015 TRF thanks.jpg

Last edited:
Your color wavelength is a bit off..Says red but I see yellow...:tongue:

Looks great! Hope the flight goes as well! :D

Looks good, Rod!

Are you still planning on flying at AirFest?

-Kevin

The plastic loop was cut from the nose cone and I then used a forsner bit and a power drill to bore a hole in that area to allow access to install the hardware.

Tied the kevlar to a heavy swivel and the chute lines to the other end of the swivel. There will be a short length of kevlar between nose cone and swivel.

And with this post I am glad to say that this project is ready for launch!

It was fun, but I cannot wait to try it on the H87 from CTI. Launch will be at the Kloudbusters AIRFest at the end of August.

Thanks to those who put on this program and best of luck to the other participants.

See ya,
Rod

016 u-bolt install.jpg

017 u-bolt.jpg

018 kevlar tied to swivel.jpg

019 Wrapped up.jpg

Great build and very good looking rocket.Planing to add one to my fleet.Best of luck on maiden flight:w:

Congrats to Rod on a successful Level 1 today

I'll post pictures when I'm at a computer with software that will let me do a bit of picture editing...

-Kevin

As promised, a couple pictures of Rod's flight

rod1.jpgrod2.jpg

I not only got to witness this one, but I was the RSO and got to sign Rod's cert. :)

-Kevin

Congrats, the DRM is very nice in yelloow, who make the decals ?

First off Thanks go to Kevin and CTI for putting on this program. If the intent was to sell more reloads, it worked!! I flew twice today and each flight was great. On the certification flight the delay of seven seconds was just a bit long, so I adjusted for a second launch today and it was still a bit too long, so for the third launch I took it down to five seconds and it was perfect. Motor for all launches was the H87 Imax. Used the delay drill tool to adjust delay times. I also decided to take off the chute protector and just use the insulation wadding available at the event. Not a scorch mark on the cute.

So I will keep launching the Max on these motors and try different impulses to play with.

Wrap was made by Darren Jantz from Wichita, Ks. He is often out at our large events with his selection of decals and wraps.

It was a great event, launched a lot of low and mid power rockets. From a simple C6-5 to my 5 c6-5 cluster and a few single use F motors in a couple others. All launches were a success and I made it home with all but one rocket. I launched a D12 engine Lil' Grunt that I had custom wrapped and with the winds being so calm on that day, I chose to use a small chute instead of the streemer. I managed to get it stuck at the very top of a hedge tree. Open fields for miles and I find the top of one of the few trees at the site. A young lady, young teens, from a fellow launch participant climbed up into this tree and managed to get the rocket down, she had to cut the cord, but it is an easy fix. So after she got down and back to her camp I promptly handed her one of my other Grunt rockets that I hadn't launched yet as gratitude for climbing that tree to recover my rocket.

We couldn't have had better weather for the event. It was hot, but a front came through on sunday and brought just a small shower through and by mid afternoon skies cleared and it was back to full 50,000 foot waiver. With those calm winds.

Thanks again for the program and I'm already thinking about what I can build for a level 2. Maybe a big crayon that was given to me at the event. That is for a different thread.

Mega Max Launch.jpg

Max under chute.jpg

coming down for safe touchdown.jpg

Last edited:
Darren Jantz also made those. He had them at the event. Of course I had to have a yellow one!

I can ask him if he is still making them.

Excelsior decals ROCK!!!!!!
Just finished "Snowjam 2015" project- MDRM but customized to "der Harley Max" !!!
29mm X 8" motor mount upgraded to 38mm X 12 inches...
One Bad Hawk custom harness
Maiden launch this Saturday at Music City Missile Club in Manchester TN.

Pics...

IMG_0946.JPGIMG_0966.JPGIMG-20150315-00137.jpgIMG-20150315-00141.jpgIMG-20150330-00164.jpg

... more pics of der harley max... by the way.. I DO drive an F150 Harley edition! =) :headbang:

IMG-20150330-00166.jpgIMG-20150330-00167.jpgIMG-20150330-00168.jpgIMG-20150330-00169.jpgIMG-20150330-00170.jpgIMG-20150330-00171.jpgIMG-20150330-00172.jpgIMG-20150330-00173.jpgIMG-20150330-00176.jpg

Last edited:
Darren Jantz also made those. He had them at the event. Of course I had to have a yellow one!

I can ask him if he is still making them.

Thanks Rod! I spoke to Darren and he is making me a shirt since all that is left are XL's.

Excelsior decals ROCK!!!!!!
Just finished "Snowjam 2015" project- MDRM but customized to "der Harley Max" !!!
29mm X 8" motor mount upgraded to 38mm X 12 inches...
One Bad Hawk custom harness
Maiden launch this Saturday at Music City Missile Club in Manchester TN.

arringtj, how did you attached the One Bad Hawk harness? Eyebolt in the forward CR? Did you purchase a specific motor mount kit? Thanks!

arringtj, how did you attached the One Bad Hawk harness? Eyebolt in the forward CR? Did you purchase a specific motor mount kit? Thanks!
3.5-year-old thread, and that user hasn't been seen since May, 2015.

no eyebolt, stock 29mm motor mount (see posts up to #16)
my bad thought he was referring to the OP rocket tis anyones guess but I didn't see any eyebolt in the Harley version
Rex

Last edited:
no eyebolt, stock 29mm motor mount (see posts up to #16)
my bad thought he was referring to the OP rocket tis anyones guess but I didn't see any eyebolt in the Harley version
Rex

Thanks Rex and Bat-mite. Noted that this is an older thread, but I am new to the forum and have had some luck with other members posting to some queries on older posts, so I figure it was worth a shot.

About to start a L1 cert build with a MDRM, so I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I get started.

If I were to build this rocket again for earning level 1 cert, I would build it with a 38 mm motor tube. Then the same rocket could be flown for Lvl 1 and Lvl2 cert. It would take more work on fins and would need new rings, but shouldn't be to difficult. Now building a new scratch Mega Max with full dual deploy and 54 mm motor tube now! Using Estes kit cone and fins.

Best of luck!

I've decided to do my MDRM MMTs à la LOCs 4" Goblin. I'll have to fabricate or modify the rings, get a 54mm tube and make modifications to the fin tabs, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm sure more than a couple people here have done it.

Back