Sleepless In Kansas: SEMROC Orbital Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to see a flight video of this one. I've been thinking about getting a SEMROC OT for a while now.

Really nice looking build. The Orbital Transport was not on my radar—but it is now.

Would you mind telling me the length of the BT-50 main body tube as it comes with the kit? Thanks so much.

Edit: After doing some reverse calculations from upscale threads, it looks like it's 18".

Last edited:
WOW!! that turned out great!! awesome job!!

The arrival of the blizzard has allowed me to finish this. Sorry about the quality of the photos, my camera is at work so I had to use a camera phone.
View attachment 118889View attachment 118890

This is, a great kit and I highly recommend it. The decals were superb, in register and very detailed. They went on with no problems and the carrier film, once on, is nearly invisible. I'll shoot it again with a semi gloss to knock down the gloss of the decals and it should all blend nicely. Thank you Semroc for making this kit available again and for the great trip down memory lane building a fond childhood memory.

Thanks everyone, glad you guys like it. I'm pretty happy with it.

GJ, you're right on the money, it's 18 inches. :)

Hello Rocketcrab,
would you mind letting me know about JimZ's site so I can download the plans please? I'd like to build one myself.
Balsa Machining Service offers the balsa parts pre-cut at a reasonable price, and they carry the two nosecones needed as well.

I know these folks. Very nice but their website is so hard to navigate. I'd buy more from them if the website were more user friendly. Way too tough so after many visits and a few orders, I gave up. I did try [FONT=&quot]https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/k-42.htm but this link does not work. I'm looking for some plans so that I might build one 1.5 scale up to 34.5 inches in length. I could buy one from Randy at erockets, but i'd like to build a bigger one. Advice?[/FONT]

Thanks Rich. I was able to Google "pattern sheet orbital transport' and I found the original sheet. I'll print at 150% and that should do it for me. Thank you for your help. Attached is a copy I converted from a .pdf to .jpg for anyone else that may want it.

K42 Pattern Sheet.jpg

I saw that too Kuririn. I do like the blue decals that were in the photo i saw. I believe I'm going to paint the launcher matte black and the glider black and white like the old shuttle. This should be a lot of fun.
Were you on the Proton thread from a few weeks ago? I think so, so I included a picture. It flew straight as an arrow. No video since I was alone when I shot it.

20180301_175603.jpg

Attachments

• 20180301_175545.jpg
    20180301_175545.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 28
Back