Any recommendations for a low altitude Level 2 certification rocket kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
I might need to stay under 1,500 feet for my Level 2 certification. Any ideas on a good kit and motor combination?

Scratch build. You can design and build whatever fits your needs and budget. Plus, it's MUCH more rewarding. A lot of people on here ask a similar "what kit should I build" and I always post what I just said.

Welcome to TRF, We look forward to hearing more from you.

Alex

Welcome!!

If you want to keep it that low, probably best to scratch it.

I have never done a +1 on a thread before, but you can't go wrong with one of Eric's kits at Baddazz. I have 2 and ordering up another shortly. +1 to my +1.;)

Russ Westergaard

I'm assuming you mean 1500 feet AGL, not MSL?

Based on your requirements, drag is your friend. That takes the vast majority of the kits on the market out of the running (sorry, Eric - your stuff is too aerodynamic!).

One of the first choices that comes to mind is a LOC Warloc.

Even then, you're going to need to run a sim -- I'm not 100% certain a Warloc will stay in your altitude requirements.

-Kevin

Any particular reason you're shooting for so low an altitude on a L2 rocket?
Seems to me at that altitude you can have a whole lot more fun, for a WHOLE lot less money, flying smaller motors. Trying to rein in a J/K/L motor to under 1500' means a big, heavy, draggy, tank of a rocket. It can be done of course, but why?

That said, I second the scratch build suggestion. Although Eric does makes some very tasty offerings.....

Or you could build/fly a saucer of course.

s6

I am in New England so most of our launch sites are relatively small with less than 5,000 ft AGL waivers.

There is the Shadow Aero

Ultra Fat Boy, or just the Fatboy.

Again you would have to run the sims.

I am in New England so most of our launch sites are relatively small with less than 5,000 ft AGL waivers.

Come on up to MMMSC in Maine - 10k waivers with a fantastic field! I think that they will resume operations in April or May.

If you get a fat rocket and use tube fins or a ring you can inject a lot of drag. The Madcow Sensor is a pretty draggy rocket and even a small J puts that over 2k on a sim so you might need to be fatter and draggier. OpenRocket or Rocksim will be your pal for this project!

Good luck!

Oh I will be there with some high flyers for sure!!! I am putting together a plan "B" for Amesbury. Thanks!!

I'm assuming you mean 1500 feet AGL, not MSL?

Based on your requirements, drag is your friend. That takes the vast majority of the kits on the market out of the running (sorry, Eric - your stuff is too aerodynamic!).

One of the first choices that comes to mind is a LOC Warloc.

Even then, you're going to need to run a sim -- I'm not 100% certain a Warloc will stay in your altitude requirements.

-Kevin

The LOC Warlock is a great suggestion, but the LOC Doorknob is an even better choice. I glassed the body tube, did a tip to tip on the fins, and added 14 ounces to the nose. The J420 Redline (38/720 case) gives this rocket a nice "lob" up to about 1,200 ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhe-alAUHwc

In the video, the first flight used the J420R, the second flight used a CTI J453W in a 6XL casing and was probably over 2k on that flight.

Depending if you are going for TRA or NAR, you might consider a saucer from Art Applewhite...

Call Ken at Performance Hobbies. He has a 7.5" Fatboy and you get a J760 reload AND hardware with it.

I am pretty sure that a 5.5" tube fin isn't what you are looking for but a 4" or 5.5" tube fin might do the trick if you are wiling to go scratch.

Any of the 7.5" kits should be in the ballpark, a few might exceed this by 100-200' which should be fine since you don't have a waiver issue (1500 is not a hard requirement).

My L2 was a scratch ring fin. It was based on a 4" body with an 8" ring fin and 9 struts. 3 of those were rectangular fins that projected past the ring. The rocket flew to about 1500' max with a liftoff weight of about 11lbs due to noseweight and overall build.

LOC Bruiser J350W 1200'
IMG_4601.jpg

More ideas:

PML 7.5" Pterodactyl - their recommended motors in the Aerotech 54/852 case all seem to be around the right altitude.

LOC Bruiser, Bruiser-EXP, Bruiser-EXP3 (along with DoorKnob already mentioned)
LOC V2 - but this is closer to 1700' at apogee.

Are you planning to fly dual deploy or single deploy. WIth the 5K waiver and dual deploy you might be able to get away with a little higher than 1500 using dual deployment.

LOC Bruiser J350W 1200'

Gary - Nice Bruiser!! Definitely a way to do an L2 in style. :cool:

Mine is just a tad too heavy for a J350W, so I usually fly it on a CTI 6XL J453W. When I want to get freaky, I stuff in a K456 Dark Matter motor.....

2012-07-21-15-13-009.jpg

Back