G10 Fin Thickness for Large Mid-High Power Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiley

Reaction score
I've found an affordable source of G10 sheet, and I'd like to know whether it would be better to get the .078" or .093" thickness. I'll be using this for 3"-4" rockets weighing from 2-5 lb.

It all depends on the size of the fin and how fast you're going, not really on the size of the rocket.

What motors are you planning on?

(also what's your source?)

My own - very non-expert - opinion:

It's as much a function as motor size as it is airframe diameter and mass. However you did say "mid-power" so:

The .078 is likely fine, perhaps even .062.

That said, the REAL issue that need to be addressed is (and I'm sure others will have picked up on this as well:)
Tell us more about this "affordable source of G10 sheet" that you mentioned.

s6

I'm planning on flying large mid power clusters, G and up, as well as small Hs. Fins won't be abnormally big, usually about 1:1 span to body diameter. I'm using a g10fr4.com.

Prices appear to be on par with McMaster. Can't imagine that their customer service and shipping is as good...

What do you use to cut out G10 fins? I've used a wood saw with fine teeth to cut G12, but does the different fiberglass arrangement in G10 make it harder to work with?

What do you use to cut out G10 fins? I've used a wood saw with fine teeth to cut G12, but does the different fiberglass arrangement in G10 make it harder to work with?

Both are equally hard to cut, but usually when cutting fins you cut much more linear distance than with a tube, so you dull the teeth very quickly.

The ideal is a carbide grit blade on a bandsaw, or waterjet cutting. Neither is very cheap, but replacing ordinary steel blades repeatedly isn't fun either.

Best thing I found for cutting Fiberglass is a wet saw with a diamond blade. No dust and makes smooth cuts.

Rough cut with a Dremel and cutoff wheel, sand to final shape on a belt sander.

Back