The End of an Era.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
The End of an Era, many eras, is upon us. This must be the end of the world that the Myan's foresaw.
As someone posted about Kodachrome film being gone four years now, what else has been lost to technology or whatever.
I'll start, The space program.

CD'S Over the years it went from reel to reel, eight track, casett, vinyl albums. When in the army I bought a *state of the art* linier tracking turn table that could be programmed to play track's in what ever order you chose.

The Walkman, boom boxes.

Basically what Closet Astronaut said. I still buy and play vinyl. My iPod and iPhone 5 do a phenomenal job of playing music and at a rather high level of quality, but when you play vinyl or listen to Open Reel decks, you listened. That's been lost.

On a more sociological stance: Manners, common sense, education, and people skills are pretty much so last century now.

The Era of the ability to: Be, Say, Do, Something Stupid in anonymity.

I do not think anyone ever thought that every dumb thought that enters your head, should be entered into your interface device, and instantly be available to every wired human on the &^%%$ planet.

1-Repair service for most household consumer goods.
2-Passenger air transportation with some level of sympathy for the customer's experience.
3-Quality programming on the television. Reality programming has poisoned even "good" channels like History, A&E, etc.

Sad to witness the fall to technology. I still have my 450+ vinyl LP's boxed up. And a record player stored just so I can use them......someday.

Sad to witness the fall to technology. I still have my 450+ vinyl LP's boxed up. And a record player stored just so I can use them......someday.
Yea! I still have 2 analog synthesizers (!?) and most of my analog studio...just for *someday*. I also have 4000+ 'stax of wax' and three tables complete with noise eliminators, scratch and pop filters and active decompression stuff. What do I miss the most from the old days?
My hair.....and b-14's!

I'm still building my turntable: Linear tracking Air Bearing on a 5" thick solid MDF plinth, 1" x 13" solid steel platter, and a 25 watt AC synchronous motor.
It's a beast. All this to read the little groove and make pleasant noises. :)

Things like repair services and decent air travel experiences have fallen to the drive to make things cheaper. Capitalism is relentless in its desire to make things cheaper. We only have ourselves to blame if you don't like it.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Simple J. Malarkey (from Pogo by Walt Kelly)

Things like repair services and decent air travel experiences have fallen to the drive to make things cheaper. Capitalism is relentless in its desire to make things cheaper. We only have ourselves to blame if you don't like it.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Simple J. Malarkey (from Pogo by Walt Kelly)
Hurray! I miss Pogo too! I also remember when Saturday mornng cartoons were funny.

I'm still building my turntable: Linear tracking Air Bearing on a 5" thick solid MDF plinth, 1" x 13" solid steel platter, and a 25 watt AC synchronous motor.
My wife reminds that i coud have had a stable full of classic cars for what I wasted on audio equipment back in the day. I think I first saw Kevlar thread on a high end table back when. It was like 5k in the early 70's! Yikes! Rock on wid yer bad self!

The thing that has vanished from the world and will be sorely missed is my own innocence.

I yearn for the days when I believed that people would be nice to each other, simply because it felt good to do so, in all situations. I long for the faith that hard work is always rewarded, and the honest man will always be exalted. I mourn the passing of the era when children can "go out and play" and not require monitoring as defense against those who would harm them.

I don't know how it happened, but I looked away, and when I looked back, that faith and innocence were gone, replaced with a "responsible adult."

Bleh.

G.D.

Common Sense...... although it could be argued that's been lost for some time now.....

The thing that has vanished from the world and will be sorely missed is my own innocence.

I yearn for the days when I believed that people would be nice to each other, simply because it felt good to do so, in all situations. I long for the faith that hard work is always rewarded, and the honest man will always be exalted. I mourn the passing of the era when children can "go out and play" and not require monitoring as defense against those who would harm them.

I don't know how it happened, but I looked away, and when I looked back, that faith and innocence were gone, replaced with a "responsible adult."

Bleh.

G.D.

Yep... you said it brother!!!

Later! OL JR :)

Ya know what's REALLY bad...

All these jokers out there telling us things aren't as bad as they seem to be, and that we're looking at the past with rose-colored glasses...

Back in MY day, we didn't have to put up with crap like this, not like NOW....

Hahahaha.... LOL:)

Ya, back in my day we didn't shatter our illusions...denial was more than a river in Egypt and we liked it!

FC

Well I can tell you that the era of responsibility at least in the USaa is going out the window.

I'm 28 and you would not believe the stuff people post. One friend who's a nurse at a hospital went to work sick. When I informed her that was illegal and could get her in serious trouble her response was "until the government can pay me to say home sick I'm going to work sick." I then ripped her a new one about how she should have savings for a reason and how selfish and irresponsible she was being.

It's unbelievable to me.. Responsibility does not exist in my generation.

Common Sense...... although it could be argued that's been lost for some time now.....

We all have moments in which common sense escapes us.. For example...

I took the cover off a light switch to adjust the timer and a screw look loose.. I attempted to tighten it before shutting off the power.
About 6 years ago I thought it was a good idea to see how high I could set my cruise control. Yeah a ticket 95 in a 65 was NOT cheap.
Every time I drink that last beer always seems like a good idea until the next morning.
My ex asked me if her butt looked big in a bikini she was trying on.. I said yes.
I have a rather fast sports car and thought it was a good idea to let a hot woman I just met drive it. It wasn't until after I was having a heart attack in the passenger seat that I found she had a suspended license.
When receiving a ticket the officer asked me why I was driving at such a high rate of speed.. My response was "I'd assume the same reason everyone else speeds.. To get to their destination faster." He the. Gave me the lecture about speeding not getting you any place faster. I said actually simple math proves you wrong at 60MPH you travel a mile a minute at 90MPH you travel 1.5 you're traveling 50% faster and can cut 25% from your travel times an hour drive becomes 45 minutes and 2 hours becomes 1 hour 30 minutes.." Instead of the ticket being wrote for 70 in a 55 it was wrote for 85..
This winter I thought it would be a good idea to climb up on my parents roof in sandals to clean the rain gutters.

We all have our moments. At least I can admit it..

I still have my Sony direct drive turntable purchased in 1974 :) Extra cartridge too :)

The new season of Saturday morning cartoons used to be such a cause for celebration that my best friend would invite me over to his house to stay overnight, sleep on the floor of the family room at watch all of the new cartoons from the crack of dawn. I remember that one year after his mom had made us breakfast we looked at each other and said, "None of them were very good." and we didn't do that any more. Hollywood (or whoever is in charge of cartoons) killed the excitement.

The most recent report of the American Freshman Survey concludes that we are raising a generation of "deluded narcissists." I think that pretty much sums it up.

Well I can tell you that the era of responsibility at least in the USaa is going out the window.

I'm 28 and you would not believe the stuff people post. One friend who's a nurse at a hospital went to work sick. When I informed her that was illegal and could get her in serious trouble her response was "until the government can pay me to say home sick I'm going to work sick." I then ripped her a new one about how she should have savings for a reason and how selfish and irresponsible she was being.

Cars you could repair yourself, and have some level of confidence you did it right.
Board games.
Actually playing sports for the love of the game.
Self-reliance and responsibility.
People caring about what they do.

Amazing how we survived at all before all these stupid new "laws" meant to "protect" us...

Cars you could repair yourself, and have some level of confidence you did it right.
Cars that needed a tune-up every 10,000 miles along with brakes about the same interval. Plus needing to lube it frequently as well!

While the new stuff is vastly more complex and difficult to understand at the detailed level, they're actually quite serviceable if you'll invest in some manuals and spend a little time studying. You can still learn the gozinta-gozouta system functionality of the engine computer, for example, and do some troubleshooting without having an engineering degree or 40,000 dollars worth of test equipment. A code scanner and manuals can be had for 200 bucks.

I have three kids driving plus a truck for pulling my boat, so I'm up to 6 cars at my house that I service. I can't be an expert on every car, but I can learn a few fairly well. To make things a bit easier, I got my kids all GM W bodies that have lots in common - IOW, learn one, learn 'em all.

IMO, code scanners and the plethora of tech info available both on the web and cheap on eBay (ie, cheap used paper manuals and cheap DVD manuals) have brought the shade tree back to guys like me who thought the same as you a few years ago. But now, I routinely am working on my kids' old cars. We're gonna hit 200,000 miles on one pretty soon :)

Doug

What is all this talk about the loss of ears and incense?

I’m sorry; what?

Eras and innocence?

Never mind.

Cars that needed a tune-up every 10,000 miles along with brakes about the same interval. Plus needing to lube it frequently as well!

While the new stuff is vastly more complex and difficult to understand at the detailed level, they're actually quite serviceable if you'll invest in some manuals and spend a little time studying. You can still learn the gozinta-gozouta system functionality of the engine computer, for example, and do some troubleshooting without having an engineering degree or 40,000 dollars worth of test equipment. A code scanner and manuals can be had for 200 bucks.

I have three kids driving plus a truck for pulling my boat, so I'm up to 6 cars at my house that I service. I can't be an expert on every car, but I can learn a few fairly well. To make things a bit easier, I got my kids all GM W bodies that have lots in common - IOW, learn one, learn 'em all.

IMO, code scanners and the plethora of tech info available both on the web and cheap on eBay (ie, cheap used paper manuals and cheap DVD manuals) have brought the shade tree back to guys like me who thought the same as you a few years ago. But now, I routinely am working on my kids' old cars. We're gonna hit 200,000 miles on one pretty soon :)

Doug

Heh Doug, better be careful...you might shatter some illusions around here....:).

Back