Public Enemy - Gladiator Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lets take the way back machine to a time when Roy Weid sold some of the 'signature west coast' kits. About 2003 is when the Gladiator made its first appearance on the Public Enemy web site.

But long before that, probably early 1999, Roy was selling a new kit using many of the same compenents as the Fat Boys called a Gladiator. Looking at the design, one can certainly see how stability is an 'issue' as it's all fin. :y:

I certify'd Level 2 on a Gladiator at a joint LTR-ROC launch in August 1999 with an AT J275-M. That flight was to about 4000'. So that is just a ROCSIM guessimate. This was before the days of cheap altimeters.

I remember having about 2 pounds of lead sinkers in the nose. To fly a 54mm you had to. It was not much different that the people at the time shoving a K550 in a 4" Public Enemy Fatboy ultra. Needed nose weight. I used tubular kevlar to keep it all together.

Pretty sure this crappy image come off a Kodak Photo Diskette (not photo CD).
View attachment 112519

Off we go!
View attachment 112524

Right after I certified, I drag raced Ron McGough who had a Gladiator Ultra with a boat tail. Both again on J275s
View attachment 112520

View attachment 112521

That was the end. Next time out I flew yet another J275, and for whatever reasons the laundry did not deploy. End of rocket.
Sometime later, in a fit of madness I bought the little one. And it sat in storage for 10 years or so.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• LevelTwoCert-J275-Aug1999-LTR-ROC-02.jpg
    LevelTwoCert-J275-Aug1999-LTR-ROC-02.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 62
  • LTR-ROC-Aug1999-J275 DragRaceWithRonMcGough-01.jpg
    LTR-ROC-Aug1999-J275 DragRaceWithRonMcGough-01.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 61
  • LTR-ROC-Aug1999-J275 DragRaceWithRonMcGough-02.jpg
    LTR-ROC-Aug1999-J275 DragRaceWithRonMcGough-02.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 63
  • LevelTwoCert-J275-Aug1999-LTR-ROC-01.jpg
    LevelTwoCert-J275-Aug1999-LTR-ROC-01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Public Enemy Gladiator Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Public Enemy Gladiator and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Public Enemy: Baby Gladiator:
Public Enemy: Gladiator

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Public Enemy Gladiator Basic Information.

public_enemy.gif
Public Enemy Rockets

MODEL NAME: Gladiator Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced: 2003
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x38mm or 1x54mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 41"
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight: 3.5 lbs

Mfg. Description: 38mm or 54mm (H - J)
This is not your everyday looker! If you like High Performance and unusual styling then this is the kit for you. 3, 1/4" ply fins, heavy duty RWW nosecone, 1/2" lugs, 36" chute and vinyl Gladiator decal included. (Public Enemy 2003 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Public Enemy Baby Gladiator Basic Information.

public_enemy.gif
Public Enemy Rockets

MODEL NAME: Baby Gladiator Also known as: 3" Gladiator

NUMBER:

Introduced: 2003
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 35"
Diameter: 3"
Span:
Weight: 1.5 lbs

Mfg. Description: 29mm (F - H)
Just as cool as it's big brother but in a more fun like scale. (cool level one kit to!) 1/8" ply fins, 1/4" lugs, 30" chute and a vinyl gladiator decal. (Public Enemy 2003 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads
gdjsky01

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
My 4" diameter flying at LDRS30. Also for Chuck, the RockSim.

_LLS4615.jpg

Attachments

• Gladiator 4in.rkt
    125 KB · Views: 165

Work had been a bit hectic. So I didn't get home very early most nights of last week. Three rockets were the best I could muster. Given the throughput, and how I was dealing with the heat after a long walk, it turned out to be just the right amount of rockets.

The Gladiator was loaded with an AT H180-M cut to 8 seconds. The Gladiator 3 is about 2 pounds (900g) and much of that is nose weight.

I forgot AGAIN to clip on the Altimeter Two... :bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::rant::mad:

8730582504_fc57e03774_b.jpg

Notice the OUTBOUND angle... :grin: I would pay for that
8729464099_c91830c886_b.jpg

8730584410_59a495cb5e_b.jpg

Deployment was pretty much spot on at a ROCKSIM guessimated 2000' (610m). And then it nicely drifted in the upper level winds northwards away from the flightline. I took my eye off it for a moment and.... you guessed it... I never saw it again. :cry::cry::eyeroll::surprised::mad: But I was in luck. Someone else had and pointed it out to me on the ground already about a 1/2 mile (800m) away :cry:.

My FitBit (and therefore wife who keeps track of it online - like a leash :roll:) was happy happy happy. I was not... I trudged on ... and on... :tongue::cry:

Alls well that ends well. Me, the rocket, and full (now empty) bottle of water made it back and I was bushed. I am still trying to get used to being a diabetic and it causes lots of ups and downs till things get 'adjusted' right. And I was down... I packed up fat, dumb, and happy... 1400 more ns in the bag!

More photos here: Including exclusive photos of bandman44 launching a rocket, with ELECTRONICS, and wait for it... getting it back!! :rofl: :grin: Ok ok a low blow... actually it was a great flight!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffgortatowsky/sets/72157633458649305/

Then I did a stint or two on the LCO mic. Rested a bit... and brought out the Gladiator 3. I really like the looks of this long OOP kit. Old school nylon strap and bungie.

Loaded with one of my favorite Aerotech Loads... the H250 drilled to about a 7 second delay...

10803806303_33928086af_b.jpg

Believe it or not, that was a little early. About a second... nonetheless the flight was fine and the Estes Altimeter (I've destroyed /lost two of them now) recorded 2079' or 633m.

10803822443_930c802ceb_b.jpg

Back