Estes Mini Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That`s the cutest thing I`ve seen all week LOL

But seriously ,I can`t quite make out the printing on the face card ,how big is that lander ? I have always wanted one of those ,but missed the boat several times.Does SEMROC make a lander ?

I saw awhile back a fellow was selling the HUGE one ,very beautiful ,but not in my price range just yet.

I really do like that Gary !

Paul T

That`s the cutest thing I`ve seen all week LOL

But seriously ,I can`t quite make out the printing on the face card ,how big is that lander ? I have always wanted one of those ,but missed the boat several times.Does SEMROC make a lander ?

I saw awhile back a fellow was selling the HUGE one ,very beautiful ,but not in my price range just yet.

I really do like that Gary !

Paul T

It an Estes Mini Mars Lander. Long out of production. I don't think anyone is making them anymore. I know you can get the standard Lander at Semroc though. I got this for Christmas. It's so iddy biddy.

To answer sodmeister's question, It's a WHOPPING 5" tall with a BT 60 airframe. And no, the landing gear isn't spring loaded like the bigger one. Those tiny dowel pieces were a bit of a bear to work with though. My old fingers kept getting in the way.

Hey yall, lookie what I've been working on.
I'll be. I didn't know this kit ever existed. I have one of the later, RTF Mini Marz Landers, but I never knew there had been a builder's kit version. Cool.

Doug

Last edited:
So is this to be used for landings on “Mini-Mars”?

Say what, Earthling?
images

Here's a place to get a set of decals for your Mini Mars Lander if anyone wanted to clone this kit.
https://www.tangopapadecals.com/$10_oop.htm

I'm sure Sandman would be glad to do a downscale for one also.

I'll be. I didn't know this kit ever existed. I have one of the later, RTF Mini Marz Landers, but I never knew there had been a builder's kit version. Cool. Doug

I didn't either. I didn't know there was an RTF model until yesterday. Somehow they got past me. Must have been during a time when I was out of touch with the hobby.

I remember it from when I was a kid. But I had completely forgotten about it.

I remember it from when I was a kid. But I had completely forgotten about it.

Estes catalogs on Ninfinger showed that the Mini Mars Lander was marketed in 1987. In 1988 it got bundled in a 3 pack with two other rockets. That was the last of it. There were no more offered from that point. At least they weren't in later catalogs. So the kit I got was 25 years old and I don't think either of us was a kid in 87.

No, I was 27 in 1987. It sure seems like I remember it from a kid, though. But I am old now. LOL

Last night I finished off sanding all my putty fills and even remembered to glue on a launch lug...YAY! The weather is such that I can't think of priming it. We've had rain, heavy fog and 70% humidity for over a week now. Not sure I want to go with that yellow look like on the insert. I might just mock the paint job like on the original.

and even remembered to glue on a launch lug...YAY!
LOL I've forgotten a few launch lugs... I have to consiously check every time before I paint to make sure that there's buttons or a lug on there!
Nothing more annoying than trying to carefully sand off a thin strip of paint without killing the rest of it.

Krusty

Love at first sight.

Beautiful nosecone.
It uses my favorite type of transition, none.

I want one.

A question for all of you encyclopedic Estes freaks.

Was this nosecone used on any other rockets?

Bones

A question for all of you encyclopedic Estes freaks.

Was this nosecone used on any other rockets?

Bones

In spite of not having an encyclopedic knowledge of Estes kits :wink: I do remember one kit: the MX Missile. I have a vague memory that the nose used in the Mini Mars Lander may have originated with that MX Missile kit, but I'm not sure.

LW might be on to something. Although the Mini M Lander does not have the part numbers listed in the kit, it does indeed look like the one on the Estes MX Missile.

From https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Nose_Cone_Reference_10.1.pdf

P/N 071017, PNC-60MX (Blow Molded)
Kit Number and Name
0881* Mini Mars Lander
1916 MX Missile
1977 GeoSat LV
*It should be noted that the nose in the RTF #1826 Mini Marz Lander is identical in shape and size to
the PNC-60MX. The nose in #1826 is Injection Molded instead of Blow Molded, and its shoulder is
slightly smaller in diameter - it measures 1.557" as compared to the PNC-60MX shoulder
diameter of 1.590"

Last edited:
Well, it's finished. The only thing that gets me is a couple areas on the decals that were white did not have an outline on them and they sorta disappear into the background. But I can live with that. I wanted it to look like the bigger one anyway.

Mini Mars Lander.jpg

Back