Public Enemy Gladiator 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lets take the way back machine to a time when Roy Weid sold some of the 'signature west coast' kits. About 2003 is when the Gladiator made its first appearance on the Public Enemy web site.

But long before that, probably early 1999, Roy was selling a new kit using many of the same compenents as the Fat Boys called a Gladiator. Looking at the design, one can certainly see how stability is an 'issue' as it's all fin. :y:

I certify'd Level 2 on a Gladiator at a joint LTR-ROC launch in August 1999 with an AT J275-M. That flight was to about 4000'. So that is just a ROCSIM guessimate. This was before the days of cheap altimeters.

I remember having about 2 pounds of lead sinkers in the nose. To fly a 54mm you had to. It was not much different that the people at the time shoving a K550 in a 4" Public Enemy Fatboy ultra. Needed nose weight. I used tubular kevlar to keep it all together.

Pretty sure this crappy image come off a Kodak Photo Diskette (not photo CD).
LevelTwoCert-J275-Aug1999-LTR-ROC-02.jpg

Off we go!
LevelTwoCert-J275-Aug1999-LTR-ROC-01.jpg

Right after I certified, I drag raced Ron McGough who had a Gladiator Ultra with a boat tail. Both again on J275s
LTR-ROC-Aug1999-J275 DragRaceWithRonMcGough-01.jpg

LTR-ROC-Aug1999-J275 DragRaceWithRonMcGough-02.jpg

That was the end. Next time out I flew yet another J275, and for whatever reasons the laundry did not deploy. End of rocket.
Sometime later, in a fit of madness I bought the little one. And it sat in storage for 10 years or so.

And here it is.

2012-12-19-Gladiator-3-0003.jpg

There is nothing really of note. Roy's kit were basic HPR of the day.

The yellow tubing (which I had already started to sand) was his standard. Not sure where it came from, but you got all yellow sanding it. And as with the Fatboy I built, and the full size Gladiator, by the time you were done building, the tube surface was ugly and fuzzy. But it does soak up epoxy.

The 30 inch chute is too small since I'll weight in at 2.5 pounds loaded. It'll need 9oz's of BBs in the nose to allow an I200.

Yep, that is bungee. Another staple of the day.

BTW: I slotted the tubing. I forgot to take a picture of the parts before I got started. :wink:

Nice! Whats it weigh?

Booster - 42 oz.
Recovery - 10 oz.
Nosecone - 26.5 oz.
Total - 4.9 lbs

IIRC, about 13 or 14 oz. in nosecone including all-thread and forged eyebolt. This gives me options to insert 9oz. lead muffin weights, but haven't yet. Given its stubby nature you only need to set up over 0.5 calibers of stability on a flight. BTW, bought mine directly from Roy W.

Oh, just noticed though you said Gladiator 3--mine is a 4"

Last edited:
So was mine. The pictures are of a 4 inch, just like yours. And just like yours I had a load of weight in the nose. But it was not adjustable. I called it "Ben's Express". Anyone get it? :rolleyes:

This 3" kit is one I have had from Back in the Day.
The last of my Public Enemy stash. It'll have 8oz of BBs to fly on any AT or CTI 29mm.

I would bet that screams with a 54. I saw it and knew I had to build it.

Oh yeah! Those were the days of Hyam Sosnow and his King Viper on three 54mm motors. Ken Finwall was always prepping some outrageous (for the day) cluster. And Kirk Whiting and Jeff Murdoch were flying Ultra Fatboys on K's. Checkout this web site: https://thrust66.com/

There are pictures from the late 1990's. Early ROC days. Lots of PE rockets including Gladiators (and even pictures by me!).

You'll need weight in the nose! But they are unique stubby rockets.

Soak the strapping with epoxy and place it on the sanded MMT.
Wrap plastic Rocket Kit bagging around it.
Tape it tight with masking tape.
Let is cure.

2012-12-23-Gladiator-3-0004.jpg
2012-12-23-Gladiator-3-0005.jpg

Add some pieces of wood to the aft centering ring for depth. That way I don't have to grind down the height of the T-nuts used for motor retention

2012-12-26-Gladiator-3-0008.jpg

Here you can see the strapping attached to the MMT. And you can see the forward CR attached. The strapping is stuffed into the MMT to keep it out of the way.

2012-12-25-Gladiator-3-0007.jpg

Make the front centering ring as ugly as you wish! No one will see it! :D Very kewl! I like seeing rockets built that were around before my BARdom!

Onwards...

Spiral wrapping the BT to spray several coats of grey primer over the spirals in the tubing
2012-12-26-Gladiator-3-0015.jpg

One fin - attached using System 3 bulked up just slightly with silica.
2012-12-31-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

2012-12-31-Gladiator-3-0002.jpg

2013-01-05-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

2013-01-05-Gladiator-3-0002.jpg

With all three fins on it was time to pour fillets.

First we apply small amounts of epoxy clay to the front and rear. These act as dams and are sandable (sort of, with a Dremel! :tongue:) - I normally use clay, but I did not have any handy.

2013-01-06-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

2013-01-06-Gladiator-3-0002.jpg

The fins slots were sealed with a light fillet of wood glue, sanded lightly, then the System III fillets poured
2013-01-12-Gladiator-3-0001-2.jpg

Leveling up.
2013-01-12-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

Very nice. Had I put down a little masking tape it might have been even cleaner. But seeing as I poured and then went to bed, I did not want the tape curing with the fillet. No matter, those little edge imperfections are why sandpaper was invents. ;)
2013-01-12-Gladiator-3-0002-2.jpg

Poured 8.5 ounces (240g) of BBs into the schnozzola, a little H2O, and squeezed in several globs of Gorilla Glue.

Next morning... poof... nose weight. We have achieved stability for all know 29mm motors that will fit including 6XLs or I200s :y: :wink:

2013-01-13-Gladiator-3-0004.jpg

2013-01-13-Gladiator-3-0005.jpg

Sanding, Lunch Lugs, and Primer are next!

Primer and launch lugs there be.
After primer and sanding I saw a bunch of imperfections which I patched up with some fill'n'finish.

2013-01-20-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

2013-01-27-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

So for a week or so, maybe more, it sat. Job keeping me busy and I had no inspiration as to what to do about the finish. As you can see from the build the Gladiator is old school Poly, paper, and ply.

I finally got a little inspiration and decided a glass tan nose cone. Yes yes, I launch in the desert... :) :facepalm: it won't be all gloss tan. Why tan? Because I have 6 16 ounce cans I got an special. :lol: Guess no one likes gloss tan paint... :confused:

So this is the general scheme. Tan nose, white body, and vinyl red accent stripes.
Gladiator-01.jpg

Nose is looking ok...
2013-02-16-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

The body will need some wet sanding with 320. Still a little rough.
2013-02-16-Gladiator-3-0002.jpg

And so it came to pass. Not 'quite' what I had envisioned, but still I am pleased with the outcome. First flight, I hope this coming Saturday at ROC.

2013-03-03-Gladiator-3-0001.jpg

Man that thing is wicked looking. Makes me want to build something like that for myself!

Man that thing is wicked looking. Makes me want to build something like that for myself!
Thanks :cheers: I think I uploaded the ROCKSIM file here or RocketReviews. But I can send if its needed.

Heres a few more pictures. I added a couple more vinyl do-dads... since the first one.
Weight is 2lb 4oz. Seal it with a little 'Future' wax tomorrow night and call it a build.
Thanks for tuning in!

2013-03-03-Gladiator-3-0001-2.jpg 2013-03-03-Gladiator-3-0002.jpg

Jeff,

That really looks nice. I had to laugh when you showed the tube al sanded and stated.... "you get all yellow" I certified LVL1 with my Public Enemy SA-14 Archer last June. The build was a lot of fun but painting was a Pain in the @$#. Thank you for posting your build !!

Back