Scratch-built Econo-flyer Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EeebeeE

Reaction score
I have a 54mm Gizmo and I could fix another 54mm rocket, but I need to keep an eye on dollars so that I can focus most of my efforts into an L3 build this year. I wanted something a little beefy that could fly on a 38mm motor but still achieve a respectable altitude. This is what I ended up with. Blue tube airframe and plywood fins...I should be able to fly any 38mm motor in this bad boy. I will be posting photos because there are a couple ideas I want to try with this project.

4 inch Yet to be Named Rocket.jpg

I must warn you that OpenRocket can be a bit optimistic with respect to stability and tailcones like that... I strongly advise that you increase the fin area a lot.

This rocket went very badly unstable on its maiden (and only) flight.
seasquirt.jpg

Difference between my design and yours is that my fins are forward of the boat tail. i;m hoping that makes the difference.

I... wouldn't trust it. Because of the way fins are modeled (with regards to fin tabs), they had actually more area than the simulation.

If you can, swing-test it. I probably should have with mine.

There is 1 lb. of weight in the nose cone, which should help with stability. The fin roots are longer which should control flutter, and the fins are swept back farther as well. I may FG the fins.

The presence of weight in the nosecone merely makes it 1 caliber stable in the simulation you have a screenshot of, but I'm saying that the CP might be farther forward than you think.

EDIT: Admittedly, the J530 is a worst-case scenario for stability, and far from "econo-flying"...

Last edited:
Back