National Sport Launch 2013! Pueblo Co.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susan and I will be attending. It will be good to see you Gerald.

-Dwayne

I'm going to NSL! Registered and everything! It will be my first one and excited to go. I will even be flying some rockets there too!

Doug,
Are you going to show some films? For those who have never seen one of Dougs films, he makes the greatest films ever. Flat out, bar none! The best rocketry films ever. Tim

Thanks Tim. I really had not planned on it. My current plan is to stay in a hotel but my plans seem to be changing weekly. For the last few years I've been converting my set up over to digital cameras. For those who have not seen my set up, I have cameras mounted all over the launch pad, some track the rocket as it lifts off. I use to shoot high speed film cameras but the conversions to HD cameras is pretty complete.

Susan and I will be attending. It will be good to see you Gerald.

-Dwayne

Gald to hear you and Susan are going! Look forward to seeing you two there!!

As the rockets for the night launch are limited to a G80 and 2.2 lbs an 8k night waiver seems rather pointless.

I sure hope the limits are not that stringent... If that is the case, then I will not be able to fly my night rocket. :(

night waiver seems rather pointless.

Thats because at one point we were going to allow larger rockets to fly at night so the waiver paper work was sent in. We then changed our minds and decided to only allow low power rockets. I guess the fact that there was a night launch waiver should never have been stated!

John Boren

I had originally planned on attending this years NSL, but as most of my night launch rockets are high power I decided against making the 14 hr drive and having to sit out the night launch (my favorite event).

I had originally planned on attending this years NSL, but as most of my night launch rockets are high power I decided against making the 14 hr drive and having to sit out the night launch (my favorite event).

Sorry you will not be attending the NSL.

The flying field is great and it is well worth my driving from San Diego to fly at this launch site again!

NSL is just around the corner, so if you’re planning on coming please take the time to register. Also please register for the Saturday Night Banquet with guest speakers Bill Stine and Vern Estes. The food should be great and all you can eat. We have the entire restaurant to ourselves and we need to pack it full to cover its cost. Plus that’s the only place you will get to see a few hundred Estes Model Rocket Show Models on Display. If you have always wondered what the actual colors of the original models were, this is the place to be.

John Boren

I honestly don't know the answer to this question if you are only going to fly models with a G80 motor or below. Can someone who Knows please answer this question.

John Boren

Will "sparky" motors be allowed? Specifically at the night launch?

The 'rocket ranch', Pueblo was set up for sparkys. They have always flown them there.

Will "sparky" motors be allowed? Specifically at the night launch?

Only up to G80 size I have a CTI G69 skid I have been aproved to launch at the night launch. And a K454 Skid I can't wait to launch during the day!

I was planning on sending up a pyramid on a G75 Metalstorm.

If anyone else is planning on going to NSL this year it would be great if you can sign up for the launch, T-Shirts and Banquet by tomorrow say 6:00 PM, Mountain Time. We need to supply the restaurant the number of people attending the banquet and the T-Shirt vendor the number of different shirt sizes to produce by Thursday morning. You of course can always sign up to fly at the field but we will have a very limited amount of T-Shirts on hand to sale and I'm not sure how many extra people we would be allow to add to the banquet at the last minute.

To sign up for NSL, go here

https://www.nsl2013.org/nsl-2013/registration/

John Boren

Last edited:
Great! Our extended forecast for weather looks hot but clear skies!

My wife and I are registered for NSL 2013. We'll reserved a suite at the Wyndham Microtel Inn & Suites, 3343 Gateway Drive, Pueblo, CO 81004. We'll arrive in Pueblo around 3pm Friday, 24 MAY.

O. Lee James, III NAR 15058 SR L0
Southwest Regional Contest Board Chairman
https://www.tccnar.org

The forecast I saw shows winds on both days exceeding 20 mph...

Although this is possible our weather people can't prodict whats happening 6 hours from now let alone over a week away. The one thing thay one needs to get used to in Colorado is that the weather changes constantly during the day. Wind directions can change to any direction at any time of day. I would however suggest that any rocket you wish to fly really high, that you do it before noon since early morning winds are almost always lighter then after noon winds.

John Boren

It looks like we will have a good 100 fliers signed up for NSL plus the ones that sign up on site at the field . We should easily meet our 80 people for the banquet so this evening event should be very enjoyable as well. For those attending NSL, while driving out to the field just look for a 13-1/2 foot tall Nike Asp standing next to the entrace to the field. It will be on the right side of the road.

John Boren

The forcast is looking better, with Sat around 13mph. I have been to the 'ranch' many times, and like John says, the weather can change many times in a day. It will be a great launch. It is about a 3 hour drive from Western Colo, we will be there Friday by noon for setting up, and general BSing. Have Fun! Tim Thomas L3

I just thought I would post an image to our new Nike Asp rocket that is located at the entrance to our launch site where NSL 2013 will be held.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

John Boren

ASP.jpg

It's a much longer drive from central Texas. ;-) Still, how could I not attend? This is my best chance to see folks I seldom get to see. That includes my brother, who lives in Colorado Springs.

My wife and I will leave central Texas on Wednesday morning, stop in Lubbock to see her folks, and arrive in Colorado Springs on Thursday afternoon. We'll get to Pueblo on Friday afternoon and come out to the range after we check in to the hotel.

O. Lee James, III NAR 15058 SR L0
Southwest Regional Contest Board Chair
CPT, FA (Ret)

I'm looking forward to attending. I have a J340 sparky that I can't fly where I regularly fly and a J570 also ready to go. I'm also bringing a pocket full of cash for some more fun reloads! This week is going to go so slow! Ready to fly!

Pic of my Sunward King Tut Pyramid conversion into the Luxor Hotel (for the night launch). There are 28 white LEDs along the edges and 4 blue LEDs at the apex shooting up. The white LEDs have flash and fade on/off options in addition to steady on. Batteries not included.

Luxor.jpg

Best looking King tut I've ever seen! Great job, cant wait to see it launch.

Pic of my Sunward King Tut Pyramid conversion into the Luxor Hotel (for the night launch). There are 28 white LEDs along the edges and 4 blue LEDs at the apex shooting up. The white LEDs have flash and fade on/off options in addition to steady on. Batteries not included.

View attachment 130172

Thanks. I had planned on making a "glass" apex out of clear plastic to cover the LEDs. However, I haven't been able to find something that I think will withstand the impact on landing. I puddled Proline 4500 around the base of the LEDs to reinforce them and slathered 4500 around the small PC chip as well. Right now, I plan on having in land right on the light. I think I will be okay as long as I don't hit a rock.

Back