Tubular Nylon is supposed to have some give?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BlueWater stuff is very high quality. If just pulling by hand it will be a bit tough to notice the stretch. Hook it between a tree and your car bumper and shift into drive and idle forward--trust me, you'll be able to see the stretch.

Last edited:
To me it looks like a climbing spec. nylon made by Blue Water. Its great stuff very strong. It will have some give to it under great loads.
gp

I believe that is the stuff PML sells as 9/16" 2000lb test tubular nylon. It's great for carrying wires for deployment inside it.

I'll vouch for the stretch; this stuff has saved my bacon more than once while climbing in the Tetons albeit back in the day. We used it to tie loops for jam nuts.

The BlueWater stuff is very high quality. If just pulling by hand it will be a bit tough to notice the stretch. Hook it between a tree and your car bumper and shift into drive and idle forward--trust me, you'll be able to see the stretch.

And if you do more than idle forward, you'll notice that your bumper has very little stretch. I think this is really a thought experiment, but if you actually do it, may I suggest attaching it to a trailer hitch? Trips to the body shop can really eat into one's hobby budget! (said from experience)

Tie one end to a tree, and pull on the other end. The longer the length, the more stretch you'll notice. I use this exact webbing almost exclusively on my larger HPR builds. I also use smaller 1/2" and 5/8" flat nylon webbing I get from Strapworks.

yep, I can tell ya that a 3" wide strap, 20ft long will stretch about 6" without breaking while pulling a minivan out of the mud (sunk up to the oil pan while I was waiting for the kids at the bus stop the other day, so they (we) walked home in the rain anyway) . The strap was run between the trailer hitches to minimize damage.

Y'all have fun!

I searched for strap in smaller sizes and could not find any. I was looking for 1/4". Maybe even smaller.

Any suggestions?

At 20% of rated strength, these will elongate the following amount:

• Kevlar 49: will elongate 0.8%
  • Mil-spec 1" tubular nylon: 7.5%

When I throw these numbers into a 14 lb rocket under drougefall of 56 mph, with a 40' total length of recovery harness, we see the following impact forces. Compared are two materials roughly analogous in strength, 3/8" Kevlar @ 3600 lbs, and 1" Mil-spec nylon.

• 3/8" Kevlar - 131 g's w/ 1839 lbs of force on hardware
  • 1" tubular - 35 g's w/ 490 lbs of force on hardware

This of course assumes that the parachute opens instantaneously, and there is no "swing-under" as the rocket assembly swings into vertical from a stretched-out horizontal configuration.

At first blush, one would assume that the only advantages for the kevlar would be heat resistance and low pack volume. However, in the example above, the nylon is nearing the limits of allowable elasticity, and higher loads will damage it, thus reducing future strength. Kevlar, however, will remain inside its elastic curve almost to the point of failure. Thus, high load exposures (up to it's yield elasticity of ~2.5% at failure) generally do not deprive kevlar of later strength.

Another subtle advantage of kevlar stems from it's relative inelasticity. When loaded, there is very little energy stored in the kevlar. This results in far less recoil when loaded and released, such as when a loaded rope is cut.

Each material has a place. My next rocket will have a recovery harness that is a blend of the two materials.

All the best, James

Had not thought of that. Thank you!
Got too focused on looking for strap.....

Hey no problem. Always good to consider alternatives.

Cool thing about the paracord is that it comes in a multitude of colours. I personally have black (sexy) or god awful fluorescent orange (shows up really well in snowy conditions).

I just bought 30' of this

View attachment 111951

https://www.rei.com/product/610111/bluewater-916-climb-spec-tubular-webbing

At REI. This is the first time I've ever had any of the stuff, but I thought it was supposed to have some stretch unlike kevlar? It seems to have none at all.

Tubular nylon is made to have enough give to absorb shock when a falling climber (200lb+, potentially) hits the end of a rope. It's not stretchable by hand, as that much stretch would launch the climber back into the rock and likely cause injury. Much in the same way that elastic cords bash your rocket together.

Back