Need Help on a future scratch build: Saturn 1B 1/100th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzsergio

Reaction score
I would like to know what parts i would need.
I know where to get them (Semroc) but which ones ?
Thank you

if memory serves, those tanks in the first stage are 70" dia, so you'll want 8 bt-20 or Series7 tubes from Semroc. Heroic Relics has some drawings, I think. Meatball Rocketry did a larger scale Saturn I, but their site may have some jewels for you.

if memory serves, those tanks in the first stage are 70" dia, so you'll want 8 bt-20 or Series7 tubes from Semroc. Heroic Relics has some drawings, I think. Meatball Rocketry did a larger scale Saturn I, but their site may have some jewels for you.

SEMROC has a BT-19 which is 0.70" O.D. THAT's the size you want for the tank tubes.

https://www.semroc.com/Store/Products/BodyTubes.asp

Exactly 1/100th of a 70" tube.

The truly hard part is the scallop for the bottom of the tank tubes.

I have one and I am going to try and make more with a vacuform machine.

The capsule and tower are available from Sirius

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_26_32&products_id=523

Saturn tube scallop.JPG

Last edited:
I would like to know what parts i would need.
I know where to get them (Semroc) but which ones ?
Thank you

First, do you have "Rockets of the World" by Peter Alway?? If not, google "NARTS" (NAR Technical Service) and buy one... It'll have all the scale data you could ever want in there. Your other choice is to search the "Scale" section here on the forum... I've posted a lot of stuff under "NASA Study Summaries" here relating to the Saturn I/IB and derivatives...

Once you have the scale data, it's a simple deal to convert it into specs for a scale model... just multiply the actual measurements by the scale factor (IE, 1/70, 1/100, etc). For 1/100 it's rediculously easy-- just move the decimal place two spaces to the left... hence, the 260 inch upper stage tube for the S-IVB second stage of a Saturn IB is 2.60 inches in diameter... IE BT-80. The core tube of the Saturn IB first stage is a Jupiter missile-derived oxygen tank, which was IIRC 105 inches in diameter... so the tube you'd need from Semroc is whatever is closest to 1.05 inches in diameter (probably a 100 series tube IIRC). The outer 8 propellant tanks of the Saturn IB were Redstone-derived alternating LOX and RP-1 kerosene tanks (the black ones) which were all 70 inches in diameter, so you'd need 8 tubes 0.700 inches in diameter... The Apollo SM was 152 inches in diameter, so at this scale would be 1.52 inches in diameter (BT-52 IIRC). You can figure out the lengths and sizes of "greebles" from here...

The rest is just going to the Semroc site and doing some research...

Later! OL JR :)

A Makerbot Replicator 2x would take care of those hard to make pieces in short order.

https://www.makerbot.com/

One of my friends just bought one.

So now he one of those as well as a laser cutter............................

Is that your Shapeways part? They look very nice. I see there is also one of the transitions for the Saturn V. Just ordered an Honest John fin can and spin nozzles from another designer on Shapeways.

Back