Shock cord anchoring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurSull

Reaction score
Everything is in place to build my D Region Tomahawk, this is only my second ever built, and have spent a lot of time on this forums and other sites researching builds.
I'm upgrading to a 24" chute. My flying space goes on forever so I have no fears about losing the rocket on descent when using it with a CTI Pro24.
I'm all set to go apart from not knowing how to anchor the shock cord.
I'm replacing the crappy elastic with up to 3 metres of kevlar cord (as per the BT length x3 rule) but I want to fix it better than it does in the stock build. Also worried about zippering.

I was going to try and build a decent harness but it might be a little too techniical for my skills just yet, I've seen a few other builds that anchor it to the baffle syste, Oh yeah, I want to add a baffle system. Anybody got any good photos of how this is done? And would it be best to use an epoxy to glue the baffle discs to the BT? My local vendor in the UK has the premade baffle kits but I'm not sure they'fd fit in the weird size of the Tomahawk.

Thanks!

I added a half moon baffle with an eyelet attached to the top of the 24mm motor mount tube.
DRegionbaffleanchor.jpg

On this rocket, the stuffer/motor mount tube is so long, you could slide several half moon baffles into it and not affect the length of the motors
you can use in it.
I also slipped a piece of 1/2" tubular nylon over the kevlar and melted the ends to hold it in place at the top of the body tube for an anti-zipper shield.
DRegionbaffleanchor5.jpg

On later builds, I sewed the nylon onto the kevlar, it holds it in place better.

An eyelet on the baffle! How did I not think. So simple and genius. Thank you! Great tip on the anti-zipper tubular nylon too, thanks.

On my D Region Tomahawk, is it best to but the baffle in the MMT or on the coupler between the two BTs?

Back