A Dream Finally Realized...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice thread, Scott. I remember lusting for that kit long ago. Never got one, though. Would love to see it fly. Will be watching this thread.

Don

Nice thread, Scott. I remember lusting for that kit long ago. Never got one, though. Would love to see it fly. Will be watching this thread.

Don

If I see one come up on Ebay I might spend too much on it... A lot of memories :).

CA hinges for the elevons (I don't know why I rounded some, not others... Bored I guess)

g 6 (800x600).jpg

g 7 (800x600).jpg

OK, heres an example of spending too much time, effort and money on a simple step... The servo covers. I made a vacuum former and dammit I'm gonna use it!!!

i 3 (800x600).jpg

i 4 (800x600).jpg

i 5 (800x600).jpg

i 6 (800x600).jpg

i 7 (800x600).jpg

Some Plastikote primer applied and sanded, let the painting begin! I used all Tamiya spray cans.

j 8 (800x600).jpg

j 9 (800x600).jpg

k 1 (800x600).jpg

k 2 (800x600).jpg

k 3 (800x600).jpg

Looking good Scott! Looking forward to seeing it fly!

Ari.

If I see one come up on Ebay I might spend too much on it... A lot of memories :).

https://www.balsamachining.com/ still shows their "Invader clone" kit on the price list.

Sorry to hear about the injury, Scott! Best wishes on a swift recovery!

And thanks again for the awesome build thread. Hopefully I'll get to see this puppy fly at a future launch...

https://www.balsamachining.com/ still shows their "Invader clone" kit on the price list.

Sorry to hear about the injury, Scott! Best wishes on a swift recovery!

And thanks again for the awesome build thread. Hopefully I'll get to see this puppy fly at a future launch...

Thanks Will, I'm glad you are liking the build... I figure, if it doesn't fly well I can use it as a kick board at the pool :)...

Excellent rendition of this saucer, Scott.

Say...is this going to become a Rockitflite kit in the future? My Fake Wulf is still in the bag and will remain there until my building skills reach a level worthy of the kit.

Excellent rendition of this saucer, Scott.

Say...is this going to become a Rockitflite kit in the future? My Fake Wulf is still in the bag and will remain there until my building skills reach a level worthy of the kit.

Thanks Kit! No, this will not be a Rokitflite kit, sorry. If good decal paper ever surfaces again, there WILL be more from Rokitflite :D. Don't fear the Wulf!

More finishing pictures... I was anal and colored the epoxy to match the green paint.

m 1 (800x600).jpg

m 2 (800x600).jpg

m 3 (800x600).jpg

Oh... And the center section looks "lumpy" because the 30 minute epoxy started setting up in 10 minutes!!!

Very clean build.
Tamiya rattle can paints are really great...although due to the size of the can and price I can't afford to use them on big projects.
What green is that...looks kinda metallic....

Last edited:
Very clean build.
Tamiya rattle can paints are really great...although due to the size of the can and price I can't fford to use them on big projects.
What green is that...looks kinda metallic....

I find that they are the best replacement for old Krylon... I'm willing to spend a few bucks more NOT to screw up a paintjob!:rolleyes: I think the green is called "Lime Ice" (or that may be the one by Testors). I'll get the exact name and number when I get home.

Underside painted semi gloss black, control surfaces glued in.

This thing would have looked REALLY cool in the paint job of a Romulan Bird of Prey... Out there hunting for the Enterprise and other Federation invaders...

Later! OL JR :)

This thing would have looked REALLY cool in the paint job of a Romulan Bird of Prey... Out there hunting for the Enterprise and other Federation invaders...

No, because it is not shaped like the old Romulan bird of prey... That being said, it SHOULD be possible to make THAT shape into a boost glider... Hmmm fuel for thought...

Hmm... I don't see it ? Romulan Bird of Prey.... nah.... I must say I like the paint job as he did it. I've never cared for the flying pie-plate personally, the paint job on this is pretty cool. Maybe on the next one he can paint it like a pizza pie, you know a nice crust on the edge, add some tomato sauce red, then some golden mozzeralla, and don't forget the pepperoni slices............

Well, no, but maybe it's an EXPERIMENTAL Bird of Prey?? Single Warp nacelle and all that... LOL:)

I know... it looks like one of those Nazi UFO's from "Iron Sky"... THAT would be a cool paintjob!

It might be. Maybe you can build a model and do that and show us?

kj

Back