A Dream Finally Realized...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing up here, I needed a "blast shield" to ward off hot bits from the exhaust. I used 3 strips of 2" wide aluminum tape. I placed them on some backing from adhesive vinyl and trimmed it to shape.

n 1 (628x800).jpg

n 2 (720x800).jpg

n 3 (763x800).jpg

Finishing up here, I needed a "blast shield" to ward off hot bits from the exhaust. I used 3 strips of 2" wide aluminum tape. I placed them on some backing from adhesive vinyl and trimmed it to shape.

Now THAT is a neat trick that has never occurred to me! I learn something new here every day, not that I needed an excuse to start saving sticker backing paper, my wife is already convinced I have hoarder tendencies. This is a simply beautiful build, I can't wait for some flight video!

Now THAT is a neat trick that has never occurred to me! I learn something new here every day, not that I needed an excuse to start saving sticker backing paper, my wife is already convinced I have hoarder tendencies. This is a simply beautiful build, I can't wait for some flight video!

LOL! I have the same hoarding problem:D... The SAD thing is I hadn't SAVED the backing paper, I threw out the vinyl that was on it to complete that step!!!:grin:

Well now there is no question, you must hoard er save that backing paper...each time you use it will be a better "return on investment" for that sacrificial vinyl!

I like it. Nice size, good tech. Inspired me to break out the plans for a similar-era BG for an upscale and RC mod. Good thing I have those Dremel router bits.

kj

This might be a good carrier for an 808 keychain camera...

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)

Oh hell yeah! I actually have a new camera. It is about the same size as the "Gum Cameras" but the lense faces forward and the buttons are on the side... Only the true nerds here will get this, but... It is shaped like Spock's coffin from Star Trek II / III. It looks nice and sleek, not like you accidentally taped your car keys to the side of your rocket :).

Oh hell yeah! I actually have a new camera. It is about the same size as the "Gum Cameras" but the lense faces forward and the buttons are on the side... Only the true nerds here will get this, but... It is shaped like Spock's coffin from Star Trek II / III. It looks nice and sleek, not like you accidentally taped your car keys to the side of your rocket :).

Cool!!!!... gotta link??

:)

Later! OL JR :)

Here is one on Ebay. It is about the size of a cigarette lighter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-D...tal_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item3a7d5bf7da

Ah, okay, thanks... there was a thread around here somewhere about that one... I don't know if the jury is still out on the quality of the video it shoots or not...

The guts of these things tend to be very different from model to model, as folks that bought the "gumpack cams" and "pen cams" (real ink pen with the cam in the other end) seems to have reported some really differing results on video quality... and of course there's a BUNCH of different "keyfob cams", that is to say, a lot of different 'guts' in the same casings... the chuck lohr website lists a ton of them and their attributes...

I'm really interested to see how this flies and what happens... personally I think a glider is really the way to go with these cams... parachute recovery just seems to produce so much swinging and spinning as to be hardly viewable in some cases... I've been tinkering with ideas for clustered chutes to reduce/eliminate spin, or a rocket deploying a rogallo wing for glide, and using a rocket with a plastic fin can to reduce/eliminate spin during powered flight and ascent... but that's neither here nor there... don't want to pollute your thread...

Looking forward to how this turns out... thanks for the link!

Ah, okay, thanks... there was a thread around here somewhere about that one... I don't know if the jury is still out on the quality of the video it shoots or not...

The guts of these things tend to be very different from model to model, as folks that bought the "gumpack cams" and "pen cams" (real ink pen with the cam in the other end) seems to have reported some really differing results on video quality... and of course there's a BUNCH of different "keyfob cams", that is to say, a lot of different 'guts' in the same casings... the chuck lohr website lists a ton of them and their attributes...

I'm really interested to see how this flies and what happens... personally I think a glider is really the way to go with these cams... parachute recovery just seems to produce so much swinging and spinning as to be hardly viewable in some cases... I've been tinkering with ideas for clustered chutes to reduce/eliminate spin, or a rocket deploying a rogallo wing for glide, and using a rocket with a plastic fin can to reduce/eliminate spin during powered flight and ascent... but that's neither here nor there... don't want to pollute your thread...

Looking forward to how this turns out... thanks for the link!

The video quality is the same as all of the gum cams and keychain cams I have flown. I think the key to rocket videos is that they need to be slowed down, otherwise "vomit vision" is the result.

Awesome, simply awesome! This is one great thread Scott. If you ever make a kit out of this you would not need instructions because you have all the steps here on the thread. I like the color you choose for this glider. And I do agree with the choice of paint. I have used Tamiya and it never fails... a little expensive so I use it on my competition models, but it is worth the extra $$$. Let us know when you are ready to fly. Next? The glider from the OT!

Awesome, simply awesome! This is one great thread Scott. If you ever make a kit out of this you would not need instructions because you have all the steps here on the thread. I like the color you choose for this glider. And I do agree with the choice of paint. I have used Tamiya and it never fails... a little expensive so I use it on my competition models, but it is worth the extra $$$. Let us know when you are ready to fly. Next? The glider from the OT!

Thanks Raul! I still need to get some final build photos... I will be applying some markings to it once the Alps starts talking to my computer!

Jeez, another build thread that has just petered out..
:wink:

No, I finished the VERY detailed build thread, and on something way more involved than a 3/4 FNC. I haven't had time to fly it. I must have missed all of YOUR build threads in the past couple of years John! :wink:

That is fantastic build throughout. I have had the BMS clone in my stash for years and might have to get it going after seeing this. Good luck when you do get to fly it.

rokitflite,

I live in Columbia, MD. Would love to see your flight. PM me if you don't mind inviting me along.

No, I finished the VERY detailed build thread, and on something way more involved than a 3/4 FNC. I haven't had time to fly it. I must have missed all of YOUR build threads in the past couple of years John! :wink:
Actually, you've seen every one of my build threads in the past couple of years! :)

This is great. They call me pizza man at my local flying field. I like round airplanes. I wore out a squadron of those GWS flying Pizzas. There is an technical report done back in the 50s by Wright Patterson I believe, on lenticular aircraft. A disk shaped wind tunnel model figures prominently in that report. Not a Art Bell, George Hooray guy myself, but pure delta and disk shaped planes are fun R/C projects and as close as a bundle of blue fanfold insulation sheeting from the home center. The Astron Disk is great. I name thee the Plan 9 rocket disk...........
See what I did there, humor

Back