Look what I found in the garage!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewH

Reaction score
It's a Vaughn brothers extreme 38 unopened! Can't wait to start building it.

image.jpg

That is a pretty cool find! Mind taking the parts out and measuring everything up? Fins, body tubes, etc...

That would be a simple rocket to clone, and quite cheaply when buying the parts from Hobbylinc.

Booster section is 27 1/2 inches long, 38mm

Payload is 7.5 inches long, 38mm

Nose cone is 8 inches long.

How do you want me to measure the fins

Well, typically it's root length, tip length, then sweep.

Or, if you want, plot each point in x and y coordinates, with the front of the root edge as (0,0).

I have to ask... How did you find that in your garage without somehow knowing it was there? Had it been stashed to hide it from the spouse and subsequently forgot about?

That's a pretty good fine! Years ago I had a VB 29 Extreme. It could fly on everything from a D to an H, which is quite a large range. It was a great demo on a D, because it would not go too far. I think I lost it on an F. Imagine if it had been launched on an H. Predicted altitude was like 6,000 feet.

Nice find. I have built up VB extremes 24 and 29s. I miss VB...

It was fun to call them and Mike would be listening to Slayer or other Heavy Metal in the background:headbang:
He literally dropped an ALTS2 in the mail with my promise to send a check..didn't know me from adam and I got it 3 or 4 days later.
I so regret not ordering the 4"Javelin...

Have a 4" in the box, never opened! 54 mount, those Javelins were my first "MUST HAVE" rockets!

Gee this brings backs memories. I had a VB Extreme 29. I lost it on the first flight..

Grandpa Vaughn used to live 10 mins from my house and on weekends i'd go over and see what was new. I have everything that they made except for the extreme Wildthing. I have some low production rockets that they made like a 13 mm VB extreme and 2 stage rockets. VB can be gotten from Discount Rocketry and the kits are lazer-cut now, anybody can build them now. I kept most of my VB plans and made patterns. all are really good fliers

Extreme WildThing!.:y: was it 7.5,or 8"? (I assume it was a 54mm with 7 38s?)

Nope!
I almost bought one, it was a 5.38" dia. with a core 38 mm and 7 x 29 mm.
I did buy the mini Wild Thing: core 18 mm with 7 x 13 mm.

JD

Extreme WildThing!.:y: was it 7.5,or 8"? (I assume it was a 54mm with 7 38s?)

It's a Vaughn brothers extreme 38 unopened! Can't wait to start building it.

Nice find.
Minimum diameter...sure to go high.

Altimeter bay is tight, but there are many more choices these days then when it first came out.

I had a new unused ALTAAC that I was planning on putting in mine for some speed and altitude shots....

Mine got as far as primer paint, then I stopped when I couldn't decide on how to do the motor retention, and launch lugs.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Any pics or specs of the VB Extreme 24? I'd like to clone one.

VB Ex 24: Body = 20 1/2", Payload = 6 7/8", Exposed nose = 4 3/4", Fin root = 4 1/2", Fin length = 4 1/4", Fin sweep = 1 3/8"

VB Ex 29: Body = 27 1/4", Payload = 6 5/8", Exposed nose = 6", Fin root = 5 1/2", Fin length = 5 1/4", Fin sweep = 1 1/2"

When that happens in our house, it usually means someone didn't get a Christmas Present. I'm sure the daughter's TARDIS earrings will turn up eventually

Here are all of the Vaughn bros. Rockets we have.

The red,white, and blue one is an extreme 54

The red one is an extreme 38

The black one is a javelin

My dad loved the Vaughn brothers!

image.jpg

Yes they do. I asked my dad and he said that he bought it with plywood fins. All the other kits he got were g10. I have some pml g10 fins that I'm going to use.

The fins look WAY oversized on the 38...at least to me, anyways

Back