eagle claw 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legranddudu

Reaction score
do we need a new eagle claw 4 building thread? of course hybridzzz (K contrail 54mm/48 inches)... let me know

image-3172037779.jpg

image-2746355569.jpg

WOW! That's one big rocket.
I'm gonna keep an eye on this one.
I was drooling over those kits the other day!
That's a fine shop you got there too.
JP

Yes, we do. Building the mini with my son might just grow into a 4" for me.:dark:

well I remembered I had this bird somewhere in my cellar...lets finish that...or better lets start seriously... of course it is a kit of great quality, so everything is strait forward. Not a big deal but a made a couple of pics for you..
First I prepared the MM as it is essential due to the 6 fins to attach and the tail cone that does not help really during construction (but of course looks gorgeous!).. Just fixed some guides to make assembly easy and I glued the 2 centering rings in place
WP_20130404_005.jpgWP_20130405_002.jpgWP_20130406_001.jpgWP_20130406_002.jpg

Last edited:
next step was preparing the G12 fins for better fixation and glue it...not really a big deal as everything fits well and I have the guides in place..just click it really...

WP_20130405_006.jpgWP_20130405_007.jpgWP_20130406_005.jpgWP_20130406_007.jpg

next was to cut some holes in the bulkheads of the tailcone so I can insert the MM inside and by turning 1/3 bring all in place..and on the airframe. Would of course not work with the guides on the MM..can you follow me? Of course you better not have the retainer glued at this point *lol*...

WP_20130405_005.jpg

WP_20130406_008.jpgWP_20130406_009.jpgnext I did some "pre-filets" to close the gap between fins and airframe..because I will now foam the inside...I have prepared 3 holes for that I can access from the rear, where at a later stage I will place the tailcone...here on the pic you can see one of them, just between 2 fins...WP_20130406_015.jpg

Last edited:
after foaming the portion of the forward wings I will do the same at the boat tail...Shall be all done by tomorrow...

By the way, this is going to be an hybrid flyer, of course... CONTRAIL USA K-555 engine (medium nozzle, 1/4" injector), 48 inches of casing... means...the ebay goes in the nose cone and I will double deploy from there with classical first pyro separation for the drogue and second main release with a badazz dezzender... voila..

CU later..lets foam now..

Last edited:
well..booster finished at 1am now local time .. the fins sections are foamed, rear fins glued and aligned, retainer epoxied too...now time to go to bed but looks good...was absolutely straight forward..booster finished in 2 evenings...the rest is really easy, this babe is ready to fly tomorrow...

WP_20130407_002.jpg

I really love these huge fins, thx Wildmann & Proline... now she fits in the family, doesn't she?

WP_20130407_003.jpg

in the morning dry fit of all components (short version, extendable with 24") & first set of filets for front and rear fins...
Please note near the rocket the largest casing that shall fly...48" K-type..

WP_20130407_005.jpgWP_20130407_006.jpgWP_20130407_007.jpgWP_20130407_008.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, is that georgous...........
Man are you making me think things I'd prefer not............
Now I've got to call Tim Lehr...........
Teddy

I'm jealous! I have an Eagle Claw 4, totally the pride of my fleet. I don't have a sweet filament wound nose cone though!!

You're doing a great job so far, it's a really fun build and the boat tail adds some unique challenges! When you're done, can you post the weight? Mine comes in at 17 pounds with the parachute and no motor.

here is the weight for you, measured a minute ago:

rocket RTF (harnesses, chutes, electronic, lipos, cabling, switches...) but without engine: 8kg/ 17.6lbs.
Please note it is a DD design with an additional GF coupler. I needed to trick a bit due to the very long casings and I moved the ebay upwards in the upper airframe by 1 feet approx so I needed an additional coupler for the 2 airframes... Please also note I have added 1lbs lead in the NC... If you fly in a regular SD and manufacturer design you shall be easily 2 to 3 lbs less...

36" J hybrid casing, fully loaded with nitrous: 2,8kg/6.2lbs

48" K hybrid casing, fully loaded with nitrous: 3,8kg/8.3lbs

If you want to fly AT or CTI, you have to add the appropriate casing and propellant weight of course...

Denis

Denis,
That is georgous................
I'm really thinking about calling Wildman.........
If I do,, I'll need a new place to sleep,,, she'll kill me...

Teddy

Last but not least my third first flight today...after the KRAMER and the mega cowabunga XL...the Eagle Claw...this one is dedicated for you Tim :)

Hopefully you enjoy a stock Eagle Claw 4", modify to host a 48 inches contrail 54mm hybrid casing (!!)..and flying just perfect up to 3000ft and landing in dual deployment near the ramp... this first flight also at the Italian Meeting near Bologna today...first some pics ...

20130713_100338.jpg20130713_103826.jpg20130713_110602.jpgCIMG5545.jpgCIMG5547.jpgCIMG5548.jpg

Last edited:
now the SLOMO start and first flight....Video by Piero Valle, ACME Italia, many thx for sharing with us...

[video=youtube_share;yEfylFQwNk4]https://youtu.be/yEfylFQwNk4[/video]

Last edited:
And here from another camera in real time, Thx Jose Luis from Tripoli Spain for sharing with us...flying a K-321 black gold reload with a 54mm/48" contrail casing

[video=youtube_share;erneKfj14q0]https://youtu.be/erneKfj14q0[/video]

guys, the eagle claw is a beautifull bird from wildman...but it does not seems to be really popular, strange....

Last edited:
Great flight! I do love the Eagle Claw, though I still only have a mini - need to change that soon.

And here from another camera in real time...flying a K-321 black gold reload with a 54mm/48" contrail casing

[video=youtube_share;erneKfj14q0]https://youtu.be/erneKfj14q0[/video]

guys, the eagle claw is a beautifull bird from wildman...but it does not seems to be really popular, strange....

Beautiful flight, nice job on the build.:clap:

This one for Tim @ Wildman...

Eagle Claw 4, now nicely painted, starting last friday with a contrail K-EX hybrid motor. Medium nozzle, 1/4 injector, 48 inches casings & 1400cc nitrous....

This EX fuel came directly from Contrail, called "White Smoke"... just fantastic as usual..The start was filmed by an Hexacopter..a very unusual perspective.. I am downloading the video on youtube for you guys...

P1070840_2.jpgP1070842_3.jpg

Wow,,
What a gorgeous shot Denis....
How high was apogee for that flight...

Teddy

Now for something...different...we filmed the start of the Eagle Claw 4 with the contrail EX fuel "white smoke" ....from the sky, in HD!

In fact we could convince a professional hexacopter pilot to try...to catch start and landing... Well it nearly worked...the guy pissed his pants and was REALLY afraid we would hit him by being too narrow...so the footage you see is something new and we believe the technique can be largely improve in the future..but this is the beginning.

The start takes place at exactly 1.18" in the film. You will not see much more as a strong white point travelling above the hexacopter, so do not be disappointed. Again, our first try...At the end you will even see the eagle claw landing..nearly on the pad again!

[video=youtube_share;C4x8uInr2u4]https://youtu.be/C4x8uInr2u4[/video]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back