It's that time of year--- Time to Back Up your hard drives!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For all of us without automatic backup programs on our computers, a good time to back up those hard drives with all those great rocket pics and plans.

Happy New Year!

Don't be the person who thinks hard drives always work....

Happy New Backup!

FC

I just tried copying mine, but they wouldn't fit through the feeder in the photocopier..... :(

That's why I switched to larger drives...I can put all 4 of my drives on the copier glass and *bam* backup is complete. I've always wondered though...if the drives fail do I have to manually copy the data back from the backup, and if I do should I use a pencil? I mean, I could use a sharpie, but that's write-only.

the time I wanted/needed to do a restore from backup it was fairly painless w/ win7. hook up the external hard drive, navigate to the most recent backup, double click and win asked restore these files, yes, and win7 proceded to restore the files. I'll admit that I had a little work to get the files back to where I wanted them, but that was because my user folder name had changed with the new box.

I just tried copying mine, but they wouldn't fit through the feeder in the photocopier..... :(

You guys are joking, but years ago doing tech support I was trying to help a sales rep who had difficulties installing some of the software we sold. Turns out he had "copied the disks" based on some helpful advice. He put the 5 1/4" floppies on the copier and made copies. It turned out the motor in the copier (that moved that green light and lens across the glass) had a magnetic field strong enough to mess up the floppies.

By the way, I signed up for a year of Crashplan (at a Black Friday discount) and it works great so far...haven't had to do a recovery yet to test that part out though. Can't beat automated offsite backup for peace of mind.

well at least mine doesn't make those loud beeping noises when I back up...:). just finished my back-up.
rex

Back