Wildman Dark Star 3 - What ya gonna stick up it??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
I know a lot of us bought one (or 6??) of these during Black Sat Sales...

So, share what your plans are, what motor(s) are you planning, and what is the sim'd alt and speed?

So far, I have a CTI K360 which isnt that much of a "WildMan" load for this so that motor will prob end up in another rocket.. Looking at purchasing a CTI L640DT or an L935

Ultimately? A Loki L1400 :grin:

But it'll fly a lot more on mid range K's during its lifetime I suspect. Our local club is restricted to 9000' AGL.

Edit: Oops! Looks like even mid K's will threaten the waiver. Tall J's it is! :wink:

Last edited:
I know a lot of us bought one (or 6??) of these during Black Sat Sales...

So, share what your plans are, what motor(s) are you planning, and what is the sim'd alt and speed?

So far, I have a CTI K360 which isnt that much of a "WildMan" load for this so that motor will prob end up in another rocket.. Looking at purchasing a CTI L640DT or an L935

Flew the K360 in my 4 inch Vindicator DD , nice flight .

Was thinking it would be good motor for the 3 inch Darker Star , but really like the iMax L935 for the 'Go for the Gusto' flight !

Am thinking the less grains, higher impulse motors will be fun in the 5 inch Jart too.

Kenny

E3065043s.jpgE3065044s.jpgE3065045s.jpg

The biggest motor that will fit......of course!

When I'm at a field with a high enough waiver...... of course.

Probably a K661 blue streak for the maiden flight. I would love to get some Loki hardware eventually. I need the snap ring hardware to get into the ex stuff anyway.

Maybe the second flight will be on an L1350 as I've already got the 3 grain case

I'm debating wether or not to build mine MD... BUT I have a K300 just waiting to get crammed up the tailpipe! Also some K456DM and maybe a K1103X (depending on if I use it for my ultra compact 54 MD)

I'm looking to stick with low and slow, probably an H of some sort, haven't really run the sims yet. I'm a Mildman without a doubt, I like to see 'em and get 'em back. I am able to make it to a regional or national launch, where there is plenty of room, maybe I'll go for something risky.

I have been wondering why I bought it recently. I got a Wildchild last year, then decided it wasn't for me after I ran a few sims. This Darkstar may end up being the same...

I'm looking to stick with low and slow, probably an H of some sort, haven't really run the sims yet. I'm a Mildman without a doubt, I like to see 'em and get 'em back. I am able to make it to a regional or national launch, where there is plenty of room, maybe I'll go for something risky..

I did much the same and bought this looking to the future. I haven't sat down and weighed each part and finalized my sim file yet, but using someone's from another thread it's looking like an I barely gets this thing moving to a couple hundred MPH and a little over a grand. J's look to push it into the 3K range. I think today I may weigh everything up and try to get some better ideas.

I did much the same and bought this looking to the future. I haven't sat down and weighed each part and finalized my sim file yet, but using someone's from another thread it's looking like an I barely gets this thing moving to a couple hundred MPH and a little over a grand. J's look to push it into the 3K range. I think today I may weigh everything up and try to get some better ideas.

Probably mine...I weighed all my individual components and posted them. Also posted both .ork and .rkt file of everything assembled. Look forward to seeing yours for a sanity check :wink:

Hmm... I am convincing myself to chop the tubes down a bit and go lean and mean, still not decided on tailcone or not, but, that addition would be nice.
10" off the booster section, 4" off the payload and throw a X-form in there coz they seem to pack better.

Hmm..
10" section of 3" Profusion.... I see a "Wildman" Big Daddy being built soon.. add the 4" section and a little magic and make a DD "Slightly Bigger Daddy" with a 54mm 2grain. NOOO!! I shouldn't think things like that... Bad Me.. Bad Me..

Probably mine...I weighed all my individual components and posted them. Also posted both .ork and .rkt file of everything assembled. Look forward to seeing yours for a sanity check :wink:

I just did some digging around and I'd been using one someone cooked up before any of us got the kits. :( I'm liking yours more, going to run through and check weights and add in chutes and such in a little bit here. I really like the idea of making the NC an av-bay, but I'm not sure what I'd stick in there. Maybe fly it short with a cutter someday? Who knows but I'm going to bolt it up empty for now.

I am converting mine to two stage ( build thread coming soon) Probally a K740 C-star to an I125. sims to about 7000'.

You want the truth? Probably a 38mm adapter and an I566 lor I800 (Vmax), and a J381 Skid if its a nice day. After that, we'll see, but with my local fields its gonna get mostly Is an baby Js. :)

I'd like to fly mostly on big Is and all Js, but I do have plans in the work to stick a L935 or L1030 in it at Thunderstruck. Right now I have to keep it under 2k feet so I'm thinking an I of some sort for the the time being.

Latest posts

Back