Estes Solar Sailer clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madison Alum

Reaction score
Here is another long skinny rocket I have been working on. Found the plans in Ye Olde Rocket Shop. Left this one as designed except for adding an engine block and modifying the shock cord mount and shock cord. Obtained most of the parts from Hartle Engineering. Thanks Ed! Got the rest (dowels and balsa) from Hobby Lobby.
Have a set of decals coming from Excelsior Rocketry and plan on going with the original red nose/front end and white body, but nothing is getting painted until it warms up a little.

100_1876a.jpg

100_1877a.jpg

That review (and this build thread) should be very helpful when I start cutting balsa.

Instead of solid balsa gussets with decals pretending to be trusses, I had the wild idea of making actual trusses. I've been experimenting with stripwood and cardstock; looks like it'll not be too difficult.

Great flyer. I built the original (not the II) a few years back from a clone kit offered by PDRocketry. PDRocketry is no longer in business but my review lives on the rocketreview site.

https://archive.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/pdr_solar_sailor.shtml

The Sailer ended it's flying career in a tree. You better believe I tried everthing short of a chainsaw to get it back.

Great looking rocket! Hopefully I will get some paint on mine this weekend. Once I get at least a coat of primer on it, I may take it down to the soccer field and give it a test flight.

Great looking rocket! Hopefully I will get some paint on mine this weekend. Once I get at least a coat of primer on it, I may take it down to the soccer field and give it a test flight.

Thanks, it was a good looker despite my horrendous photography. There's rocket science...and then there's photography ! And thanks for starting this thread which promted me to find that old linky. I hope your pictures come out better than mine. I didn't have any red paint on hand so I used fluorescent orange and omitted the red decals so as not to clash.

I have an orignal Solar Sailer II from my first return as a BAR in the early 90's. Always a great flier and one of my faves.

Someday I would like to clone the orignal......someday:p

Solar Sailer II is a great bird, I had thoughts of going Level I with an upscale but that was back in the days of having free time. She is one of my few retired rockets as she needs some internal repairs that I'm not sure I can pull off with out a major overhaul of the fin can. Jammed motor and a rough landing after a chute separation will do that to a ~15 year old rocket (at the time of last flight she's probably close to 20 now)

Well it looks like we have a little Solar Sailer fan club forming here. :grin:

Found a nice shot taken on the day I lost mine to a tree. This fine photo courtesy of Tim Sapp.

solar sailer 8-25-07.jpg

Instead of solid balsa gussets with decals pretending to be trusses, I had the wild idea of making actual trusses. I've been experimenting with stripwood and cardstock; looks like it'll not be too difficult.

Now that sounds like a great idea. You'll have a unique take on this model for your effort. Pictures, please when you get finished.

Daisy and Duke say "Go for it!"

DSC01491 (800x533).jpg

That review (and this build thread) should be very helpful when I start cutting balsa.

That sounds neat, definitly post pics. Styrene could work nicely as well. I always took the black areas to be solar panels, is that your plan or are you thinking open truss work?

... Styrene could work nicely as well. I always took the black areas to be solar panels, is that your plan or are you thinking open truss work?

I was thinking balsa and/or basswood. (I tend to like basswood for thinner sectioned fins because it's more sturdy.) I've always interpreted the black areas on the decal to be empty space, so it'll be an open truss.

Will definitely post about it if it comes out looking halfway decent.

The trusses should look really cool! I haven't developed the skill or patience for something that intricate. I did get some primer on my rocket yesterday, as well as my Newway 4 Square. Still haven't mastered the art of painting without getting runs, so a little sanding and reprimering is in order. Maybe a test flight next weekend.

Got the gloss white on the Solar Sailer today. Next will be the red front end, decals clear and then fly!

Attachments

• 100_1929a.jpg
    100_1929a.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 32
Got the red on the front end and the decals from Excelsior Rocketry applied. Now just some clear coat, a chute and it'll time to fly in Muncie.

100_1941a.jpg

Nicely done, my friend. You've raised the bar for my own build.

Thanks! Just don't look too closely at the strut decals. Wasn't paying close enough attention when I put them on and got some upside down or something. I think the struts were supposed to be a continuous up and down, but they didn't turn out quite that way. Should still fly OK though!

Thanks! First flight will be April 20 at ROCI's first launch of the year in Muncie, at the AMA's field. Weather permitting. Now that it has gotten warm, it's getting windy.

Back