BorKy QCC Explorer build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
Well it seems you like build threads. I am pretty new to the whole rocket thing, but the QCC was so adored here I picked one up. Man those intake bits are complex. First one I built with wood glue, but the rest were CA.

8328736114_bffa07de46_c.jpg

8328737936_947c3a750d_c.jpg

8328739394_7e2e11e1d9_c.jpg

Epoxy on the green retaining ring

8328740144_cccfdface0_c.jpg

8328742950_e63d4a5f2c_c.jpg

8327686471_790fb31a5a_c.jpg

Wood filler is setting. I think this is going to go darn well. Will do black on the upper, but stick to the orig for the rest. I am looking forward to the decals. Should be fun.

8328736114_bffa07de46_c.jpg

I just bought one of these myself yesterday. Havent started it yet, still finishing repairs on an Initiator. How is it working with that wood filler? Ive never used it.

I just bought one of these myself yesterday. Havent started it yet, still finishing repairs on an Initiator. How is it working with that wood filler? Ive never used it.

My first time using it. 400 grit sandpaper does not work well with it. Polishes it to a plastic like surface. Ended up using a tougher sanding block to get it to look good.

8333566531_6bdffd3065_c.jpg

Getting there slowly

Nice job on those intakes! They're tricky but kinda fun to build.

My first time using it. 400 grit sandpaper does not work well with it. Polishes it to a plastic like surface. Ended up using a tougher sanding block to get it to look good.

8333566531_6bdffd3065_c.jpg

Getting there slowly

3M makes a 320 grit sand paper that is clog resistant. Says so right on the front of the package. :smile:
This is a handy thing to know.

Here's the results I got (and you can get to) using Elmers wood filler and clog resistant sand paper.

If you look closely, you'll see the front interior of the intake was filled and sanded before the top was attached.

415J5R2HEnL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

V-2 062.jpg

V-2 063.jpg

Man there was a lot of filling and sanding on those intakes. I still haven't had a chance to launch anything from last year. It finally snowed over Christmas so maybe it'll be wet enough this spring to launch something! Hope you're enjoying this one, I enjoyed building mine and have thought of getting a second one.:D

Another QCC Explorrer...I never tire of these, they're quite popular and one heck of a flier..I have one myself.

An excellent job on the intake, very clean, these turned out better than mine did, I used automotive body filler, and have used it on several others, it works really great on wood. Can't wait to see the paint.

Very nice work!!

I have to repair one of my fins, a kid stepped on mine at one of my last launches...wasn't mad, was an accident, but kinda bummed me out!

Well it seems you like build threads. I am pretty new to the whole rocket thing, but the QCC was so adored here I picked one up. Man those intake bits are complex. .[/QUOTE

OH-Ya,we like build threads!!!
Looking real good Beerokid.
You say..."Should be fun" Thats the spirit.
It aint about how many stars your thread gets .
Or how much better your build is than others
Or comparing or competing with other build threads.
ITS ABOUT HAVING FUN !!!!>>>>>PROPS TO YOU MAN>>PROPS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do your own thing and enjoy the hobby of rocketry.
:headbang: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
I love mine... i didnt fill my intakes till they were attached... i really wish i woukd have done them before attaching them... mine was radically oainted with a bunch of different colors but had to be repainted when i fubared the clear coat... now it is much similiar... i did mine with a red cone black upper section white mid section and grey aft... looks good flies great and is a fun build...

Put down a 2nd layer of primer, but could not hit the whole tube before it ran out. Hit up the hardware store just a few minutes ago and got some krylon primer and other krylon paints. Also some diff grit sanding blocks and sand paper. I will use this one to try rounding the tops of the fins and chamfering the trailing edges.Many more pics to come.

Great looking so far Beerorkid.Been wanting to get one of these for a while now,those intakes looks like a challenge

Looks great!!! keep the pictures coming for us!!

Dude... you don't even know how obsessed I am with taking pics of every bit or process on all my hobbies. I will keep it to a reasonable level, but I might go a bit overboard every now and then ;)

I am very familiar with BBCODE, so I just put the pics inline instead of attaching, but here is my flickr for more pics if interested.

I thought so too, but if you take your time its not that bad. :)

Agreed. I was pretty intoxy while building, but it went darn well. Did the first set with wood glue and then CA for the rest. The balsa is cut really good and it goes together easy.

After the wood filler and basic sanding I used a wrapping paper tube to get the right curve on the inside of the intakes.. CA for them and some wood glue to make sure they stuck.

8343679473_700f9dca44_c.jpg

After 2nd primer

8344741250_81150c3730_c.jpg

worked the fins a bit

8344742492_56b4c0c90c_c.jpg

Figured I would try a wood glue basic fillet... just because.

Once again tonight after picking up proper sanding gear and rounding the top edge, chamfering the bottom edges I felt inclined to glue my weak fillets again. Prob not necessary since I epoxy'd the inserted parts of the fin, but the intakes felt weak while I sanded. I am guessing a few coats of primer really do not hurt as long as they are sanded down well.

I gotta say the interest on this build is making me take more care in building it.

Last primer over lunch tomorrow and then the paint goes on in the eve.

Last edited:
I gotta say the interest on this build is making me take more care in building it.

That's a fun side effect!

I did the same thing with the intakes. First one was wood glue, then administered a dope slap and switched to CA.

These are tough birds due to all the reinforcement from the intakes. Mine was lost and stayed out in the rain for a few days, was returned to me after 3.5 weeks in great condition (avatar). Flew it a few days later when the chute didn't open due to the cold, and it tumbled down, landed in the grass, no worse for wear! Flew on an E18 since :)

That's a fun side effect!)

It might be a slightly tough bird.

I am going to launch it on a c-11 for the first time since I got the engines. I fear it will suck.

Where should I go from here?

Last edited:
I flew mine first on a C11-3. It was pretty low for my comfort. Make sure the chute is nice and loose so it can open quickly. You might go straight to a D12-5 if you can.

I know this is probably heresy, but I seldom launch with the recommended first flight motor. I usually go with whatever other motor is recommended. I would rather be leaning more on the side of getting it as high into the air as possible if it's going to become unstable than for it to go that way straight off the launch rod. I agree with pick1e, go with the D12-5 so that you're not adding to the 2013 Best Lawn Dart thread.:rolleyes:

Good launching!
Steve

8349248026_957c40ab1e_c.jpg

8348189555_7eb3b7db04_c.jpg

8348188895_1c51f6fcbe_c.jpg

First coat of gloss white is down

D12-5 it is. Thanks so much for the tip. I plan on getting a nylon chute for its first flight, a Bertha flight made me aware of how under powered the recommended engine can be. I do not want to dart at all.

Last edited:
Yeah! That turned out pretty good! Ready to build another? ;)

I fear that is the whole thing of model rocketry. I will gladly get sucked in.

Mrs. BorKy stepped up and did some decals tonight. She is darn crafty and more steady. We practiced with some decals on my other rockets and then she dove right in.

8351640271_30fbfa457e_c.jpg

8352706532_f5140e4fa1_c.jpg

Turned out great.

We sorta got into rockets together, but I took it a bit further, but now she is willing to do all the decals on rockets and wants to assist with building some again. :)

Last edited:
Indeed ,the decals can be the hardest part of the build ,but they are of good quality.I think you`ve done a fine job on it ,and once you build this one ,the rest are pretty easy LOL

Paul T

And she is done.

IMAG2800 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Theresa, my wife, finished up the decals today and used some paint to fix up some bad parts. She did a great job and it was fun to have her helping with it.

IMAG2805 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG2807 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Such a pretty rocket. I am glad I took the time to build it the right way and make it look nice. Was many hours of work, but I loved every minute of it. All that is left is the engine mount and getting a proper chute for her.

Thanks for following along and the comments. I will post her first flight pics and vids in a couple weeks when the day arrives.

Last edited:
A fine looking build my friend ! You are indeed a lucky man to have such great help ,and to do such a nice job on the decals.......PRICELESS !!

Tell Theresa she did a bangup job !

Take care and happy flying

Paul t

BeerorKid said:
Such a pretty rocket. I am glad I took the time to build it the right way and make it look nice. Was many hours of work, but I loved every minute of it. All that is left is the engine mount and getting a proper chute for her.

Thanks for following along and the comments. I will post her first flight pics and vids in a couple weeks when the day arrives.

That looks a treat :)

I think I enjoy the process of building a rocket more than actually flying them - and I *LOVE* flying rockets!! Putting in the extra work really does pay off :)

And it is so addictive!

Krusty

A fine looking build my friend ! You are indeed a lucky man to have such great help ,and to do such a nice job on the decals.......PRICELESS !!

Tell Theresa she did a bangup job !

Take care and happy flying

Paul t

She giggled and says thanks

Back