GFORCE Nose cone attachment question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a weird question on how to attach a nose cone, but according to the instructions it states you should glue the nose cone to the body tube/airframe. I want to be able to remove the nose cone, but I want to make sure that it is fastened securely to stay on during its flight.

Awhile back I picked up some of these.

https://aeroconsystems.com/cart/lau...2-56-nylon-screws-for-shear-pin-applications/

Could I use them for this application or do I need to use larger ones? I was considering using 4-6 evenly spaced.

I do this all the time ,but i would use something like a button head ,Cap screw or even a sheet metal screw ,something in a # 6 or 8.

If you have access ,I would drill and tap them ,however that`s just what I do ,so a pointed button head sheet metal screw would be fine.

You should be able to fine such hardware at a HomeDepot ,McMaster or like me ,on-line.

BTW-screws also look cool !

HTH

Paul T

I just friction fit with masking tape on the shoulder. Now, I would hate chasing down that NC if it separated, to I connected it to the lower bulkhead with a light harness so I wouldn't lose it in the event of a separation.

Another option is to put a screw eye in the bulkhead, attach a piece of shock cord in between, then friction fit the cone. No screws with security.
Edit- what Jordan said...

Another option is to put a screw eye in the bulkhead, attach a piece of shock cord in between, then friction fit the cone. No screws with security.
Edit- what Jordan said...

The GFORCE does have a bulk head, but my concern is losing the nose cone. You sure friction fitting it would be enough?

The GFORCE does have a bulk head, but my concern is losing the nose cone. You sure friction fitting it would be enough?

What Jordan and I were both trying to describe is a short piece of shock cord attaching the cone to the forward facing side of the bulkhead. An added bit of security in addition to the friction fitting.

You sure friction fitting it would be enough?

That depends on your definition of friction fit, I suppose :eyepop:. I've only flown ours on a G126 and smaller - maybe 1000' maximum alt (total guess). You could put a couple small vent holes in the upper bay if you're going to be stuffing an I in it.

That depends on your definition of friction fit, I suppose :eyepop:. I've only flown ours on a G126 and smaller - maybe 1000' maximum alt (total guess). You could put a couple small vent holes in the upper bay if you're going to be stuffing an I in it.

I'll use the button cap screws as Paul suggested and drill a few holes in the upper bay for my Alt 2. That's why I don't want to lose the nose cone. I plan on having the altimeter attached to it.

I have used friction fit on my level 1 rocket and on my G-force with no problem. Make sure you drill a hole to relieve the pressure.

Back