Lil- Rascal- from components to the Launch Pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice build and flight. Thanks for sharing. Was it launch with a wilsonfx system?

Thank you. As mentioned by Rex it is a Wilsonfx system that our club uses. Easy to hook up , expandable,and tough enough to work in aWisconsin winter.

Glad to hear you had a successful flight, wish I could have been there. I got a little twitchy as we past exit 340 on Saturday, but was able to stay the course.

Russel,

What is the final dry weight (ready for flight, sans motor) of you Lil Rascal?

Thank you,

Justin

Russel,

What is the final dry weight (ready for flight, sans motor) of you Lil Rascal?

Thank you,

Justin

The final weight without the 38mm Aereo pak adaptor is 70 ounces. If you use the Aereo Pak 54 to 38 adaptor it is 74 ounces. Here is the final rocksim of my rocket. It has been matched to what each component weighs and where I have added mass.

View attachment modified Lil Rascal 4in-2013.rkt

Hate to drag up a old thread but:

I used your Rocksim file and with the 54mm motors I can not get to a full caliper of stability. With 18 ounces of weight in the nose it is still around .5 in Open rocket. Did I miss something? I plan to use this for my level 2 cert flight and really want to feel confident it will fly straight. I built a nose cone AV Bay in it with a sled for a Stratologger. :)

IMAG0217[1].jpg
IMAG0218[1].jpg

Hate to drag up a old thread but:

I used your Rocksim file and with the 54mm motors I can not get to a full caliper of stability. With 18 ounces of weight in the nose it is still around .5 in Open rocket. Did I miss something? I plan to use this for my level 2 cert flight and really want to feel confident it will fly straight. I built a nose cone AV Bay in it with a sled for a Stratologger. :)

View attachment 168556
View attachment 168559

I don't think you are missing anything. Most motors I fly are 38mm motors keeping flights to about 2800 feet Max ( mostly lower). The 38mm motors give you 1 caliber of stability. The 54mm motors are indeed closer to .5 caliber of stability. With this rocket being a short stubby rocket flights at .5 caliber of stability should be ok assuming you are making sure your velocity as it clears rail is correct.
Nice looking idea for your nose cone AV Bay. I have considered updating mine to something similar as this rocket is a blast to fly.

Ok great, glad to know. I poured the 16 ounces of BBs and 3 ounces of Epoxy in tonight. Total of about 22 ounces in the tip with the previous attachment point. add all the AV bay bits and I have 26-28 ounces forward of the part line. I am using redundant cable cutters to release the main at 700 ft and a 14 inch drogue. Will try it on a Cessaroni 1 grain 54 first then try for my level 2 next month.

Ok great, glad to know. I poured the 16 ounces of BBs and 3 ounces of Epoxy in tonight. Total of about 22 ounces in the tip with the previous attachment point. add all the AV bay bits and I have 26-28 ounces forward of the part line. I am using redundant cable cutters to release the main at 700 ft and a 14 inch drogue. Will try it on a Cessaroni 1 grain 54 first then try for my level 2 next month.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures.

See my post #6 in this thread to find links for articles why short fat rockets don't need the same calibers of stability as "normal" rockets and how to simulate it.

I was able to launch the lil Rascal yesterday. Rare waeather for mid January in Wisconsin. Launch was at our club launch at Bong. Weather was in the 40's with winds from 5 TO 20 mph. Skies ranged from partly cloudy to mostly cloudy. By the time i launched at 2:32 in the afternoon we were mostly cloudy , with winds at 12MPH and 42 degrees. I decided to go with a H123 Smokey sam ( 38mm 2 grain). My intent was to keep the rocket under 1500 feet. I really wanted to prove out the stabilty factor which simmed out at just over 1 caliber of stability. I also wanted to prove out if my build quality would hold up with some of the new things i did. I also wanted to avoid chasing the rocket into the trees or swamps that make Bong a fun launch sight. I decieded to only use a 36 inch chute. Here are the pictures of the launch.
Here she is on the pad.
View attachment 114114

Here is the start of liftoff:
View attachment 114115

Here is rocket in flight:
View attachment 114116

Here is rocket under Chute:
View attachment 114117

And Finally a safe touchdown about 500 feet away from the pad:
View attachment 114118

Upon post flight inspection I found no damage and everthing looked good. I was very happy with the flight and the build. This appears to be a pretty popular rocket and I look forward to pushing it further into the air.

Nice flight Russ. I've flown my Rascal on everything from a 2 grain 38mm all the way the a 4 grain 54mm CTI C-star K740, most recently it flew at TS5 on a CTI 2grain 54mm J116 long burn sparky that may find its way into regular production if we're lucky. It's always a fun rocket to fly.

Latest posts

Back