THUNDERSTRUCK 2013 DRAG RACE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a serious note......Here's what i see.....

1. You limit the race to ONLY 7.5" rockets and, your choices are very limited...
A. Public Missiles has two choices and, I'M NOT buying a "PVC" tube kit in that or ANY size to fly high power.....that's me.
B. Loc has several good kits in this range but, right now i don't want to build a large cardboard kit.
C. Perf. Rocketry makes an Intimidator 7.5....plus the tubing/parts to do a custom 7.5" rocket of ANY design you want.
D. You can throw together ANY combination of custom parts to build a 7.5" rocket BUT, asking around i find that size is very few among alot of people i've talked to in their inventory.

2. You open it up to 6"-8" rockets and, you'll find MORE L3's with SOMETHING that fits this category.

3. You weight down a rocket TOO much in this size range (6"-8") and, your going to find that your "Rail Speed/Liftoff Speed" can become VERY dangerous......Tipping over a large rocket with a 5500-7000ns. motor pushing it CANNOT happen.

Safety wins over the WOW factor.

I have seen alot of scary situations at many rocket fields over the years and, i'm glad to say i've only seen one hospital run afterwards......(YOU DON'T POWER UP A TWO STAGE ROCKET IN YOUR PREP AREA WITH A BRIDGEWIRE TRIPPING IGNITION DEVICE AND, TELL ME THAT *IM STUPID AND, DIDN'T DESERVE TO HURT MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE.......*) I wanted to stick a size ten RedWing boot up that Dumba$$'s a$$ myself as he ran around....burned up.....

Once again as a friend, as an interested participant i ask for suggestions on how we can make this safe, fun, fair and, worthwhile....as rocket builders....as L3's who know that.....With MORE power comes responsibility unto ourselves and, OTHERS to do the right thing.....and prevent dangerours situations.

If we can't come to some type of conclusion peacefully, then i consider the point moot and, we just have a mass Skiddy Launch......We have an Armageddon button......I'm not afraid to push it.

Well, I did look at that .pdf and copied the chart on my earlier post. When it had an X in the column and row, I thought it meant I didn't need anything and could use the straight AMW hardware.

Tim You don't need the hubcap for that load it was made for the AMW hardware, I do think you might need a nozzle carrier.
Did it come with a nozzle ?

Jim, if your talking 2 grain 54mm MD - you know I got the rocket for that race. And 10,000' plus is more like it. ARG I'm in for whatever pirate booty to be had there mate.

Mike

Sure Mike, join the party!

[pssst.....psst....hey Jason, switching to 3 grn's,only chance we got is to sandbag Mikieeee & his teenie tiny Jart]

Tim You don't need the hubcap for that load it was made for the AMW hardware, I do think you might need a nozzle carrier.

Tim, that was the conclusion I had come to last night. Thanks for the confirmation. I will call you a bit later, as I think I want to get a hubcap anyway just for more flexibility in the future (assuming the nozzle carrier is the same as the one you have listed separately), and since I'm still waiting on a CTI part to be shipped from the BS sale.

Gus,safety first I agree. I have flown Starleopard several times on the M2200,so I know its good. Whatever the masses decide is fine, but I really must hold out for the booty deal. Everyone donates,everyone gets a prize. We can figure out details later. Jason,bring that puny six incher along,we will have lots of fun no matter what happens.

Yep Tim....I flew that motor with just the nozzle carrier & AMW forward closure in the N-10,000 race at LDRS California. It comes with nozzle. Remember ya ran out of N-10,000's

Ps you in?

Tim, that was the conclusion I had come to last night. Thanks for the confirmation. I will call you a bit later, as I think I want to get a hubcap anyway just for more flexibility in the future (assuming the nozzle carrier is the same as the one you have listed separately), and since I'm still waiting on a CTI part to be shipped from the BS sale.

That would be a great choice. As far as I know,every CTI load uses a disposable nozzle,except the big single use motors. But those are 100% disposable anyway. CTI never released a counterpart to the KBA loads. The closest are the 54mm Pro-X loads,where you substitute the AMW nozzle with a CTI nozzle carrier and use the supplied CTI nozzle.

Last edited:
3. You weight down a rocket TOO much in this size range (6"-8") and, your going to find that your "Rail Speed/Liftoff Speed" can become VERY dangerous......Tipping over a large rocket with a 5500-7000ns. motor pushing it CANNOT happen.

Gus, I don't want to speak for Jim (although he may be similar with a 7.5" dia./75mm MMT) but safety w/respect to liftoff speed is not an issue for me. I can fly Hope-N-Pray down to a mid-L; and on my target motor for this race I'm at 57 fps at lift off. I'm happy to participate, but would do so with no chance of playing for a prize at 6K altitude or above.

I'm happy to participate, but would do so with no chance of playing for a prize at 6K altitude or above.

PRIZE KITTY: Everyone donates everyone gets a prize. I'm with you,never been an altitude junkie. I like Jason's idea of mile high mayhem(or whatever it was he said). Everytime I fly Starleopard on an M2200,liftoff weight is roughly 70 pounds, and almost to the foot I always get 4546. I look forward to seeing what that motor does,I have one on order!!

Last edited:
Ok Here is my suggestion.
6-8" rockets with any M class Skid Mark reload ,No need for n"s
In honor of Jim's Idea closest to 7500 feet is the winner. That's close for both 8" Gizmo's on m1790's and ultimate's on 2080's or 2200's
Launch them all at once, one after another could be a little chaotic.
The winner needs to able to be flown again without any repair standard rules.
I would offer 25% off all M class skidmarks in the drag race.
I would also offer a prize for the winner depending on the amount of participants.

Sure Mike, join the party!

[pssst.....psst....hey Jason, switching to 3 grn's,only chance we got is to sandbag Mikieeee & his teenie tiny Jart]

Can't trust any other pirates, can you? (I thought there was a code amongst pirates) Boy that would be bad, getting your butts kicked when your cheating.

Tim L,sounds good,but I have no chance of winning,unless I can use an N,which I cant afford. M2200 in 80 lb rocket equals about 4500 ft. No body has said ANYTHING about the Pyrate Booty idea??

Wildman Kentucky will be holding a drag race at Thunderstruck. K2045 VMAX in the %" gizmo or 5" Jart.
Will know pricing around mid Feb.
Darryl
ky.wildmanrocketry.com

for those that missed out on the sale, will there be Jarts or Gizmo's on sale from someone??

How does one currently obtain a 5" JART? If cannot be purchased anymore does anyone have a fin drawing with dimensions I can use and does anyone know where to get the cusom nosecone for the 5" JART or the dimensions for the NC, maybe I can cut an exact replica on my CNC lathe out of Delrin or Nylon. Sounds like scratch building this design may be the only hope, I would hate to miss the 5" JART drag race fun at Thunderstruck.

How does one currently obtain a 5" JART? If cannot be purchased anymore does anyone have a fin drawing with dimensions I can use and does anyone know where to get the cusom nosecone for the 5" JART or the dimensions for the NC, maybe I can cut an exact replica on my CNC lathe out of Delrin or Nylon. Sounds like scratch building this design may be the only hope, I would hate to miss the 5" JART drag race fun at Thunderstruck.

John,

The Gizmo is still available. As far as the Jart goes, we are at the mercy of Mr. Wildman. The nose is not custom-It is just a 5" FW cone. I would just buy the parts from Tim if you want a scratch build. I think alot of people are regretting not picking up a Jart this year.

Good Luck.

Jason,yes after I get the pricing I will have the drag race special and deal on either the Gizmo or Jart.
Darryl

John,

The Gizmo is still available. As far as the Jart goes, we are at the mercy of Mr. Wildman. The nose is not custom-It is just a 5" FW cone. I would just buy the parts from Tim if you want a scratch build. I think alot of people are regretting not picking up a Jart this year.

Good Luck.
Hello Jason, it was my understanding that the 5" JART nose cone is a special 5" FW 4:1 and the problem seem to be they were made in low quantities specifically for the 5" JART and Wildman is out of the 5" 4:1 FW NC. The ones that I can find at rocketry warehouse or at Wildman are the 5" FW 5:1 which is a much more tapered longer NC and won't look correct. I'm just not the “black Friday" shopping type person, I avoid all malls, shopping centers, and web sites during that time of year. Maybe I will have to re-think my policy for next year. I would have to say Wildman Tim Lehr is an absolute marketing genius when it comes to black Friday sales who knew out of all the rocket items sold in December that the 5" JART would become the limited hot sought after must get item this year.
For 5” JART 4:1 NC If anyone can give me the length from the tip of the NC to the shoulder and also a diameter and length (from the tip) to about the halfway point on the NC I could figure out the radius and machine one if none become available. Also fin pattern would help.
Thanks.

The gods smiled on me today and I was able to get an unobatianium 5" JART shipped out to me, and I do have this 98mm 4 grain case sitting around in my shop......Thanks to everyone who emailed me the dimensions, will still come in handy as I am going to increase the fin thickness from 1/8" to 3/16" so will have to cut new ones from a pattern.

OK, so whats the latest on the mass skid launch,lowest altitude,closest to pad(Fedora),prize kitty? Lets finalize this so we can plan for it, April will be here in......3 months??

Jim, I say what about 6-8" rockets on M Skids...Throw a marker (Fedora) out in the field.....closest to the pin wins.....Pretty generous offer from the Wildmeister on this one.
Personally i just want to hear alot of racket and see alot of sparks fly.....ALL at once!:smile:

" From Wildman: Ok Here is my suggestion.
6-8" rockets with any M class Skid Mark reload ,No need for n"s
In honor of Jim's Idea closest to 7500 feet is the winner. That's close for both 8" Gizmo's on m1790's and ultimate's on 2080's or 2200's
Launch them all at once, one after another could be a little chaotic.
The winner needs to able to be flown again without any repair standard rules.
I would offer 25% off all M class skidmarks in the drag race.
I would also offer a prize for the winner depending on the amount of participants."

That sounds good to me, I already ordered the CTI M skidmark and started planning my assault.

Also sounds like there may be a lot of motor up scaling of the wildman 5" JARTS going on, maybe we should get them altogether in a drag race? This way both L2 and L3 could participate.

Last edited:
Was looking at my calendar today - Thunderstruck 2013 is less than two months away! This thread has been awful quiet lately. Has anything been finalized with regard to the drag races and events?
Mach madness? Or? Lots of people are asking…
Have seen nothing on the Thunderstruck 4 website yet or here lately about the drags.
Gus P. , Wildman, Jim S. are U out there?

John,

I, for one am sitting quietly waiting to accept my mach madness trophy, my rockets are prepped and I have all my motors. As far as the Sparky drag race, I just got my AMW M2200 (the last one in existence....right, Manny??) If I know Tim D, he is working night and day perfecting the design of his mach madness rocket, only to reveal it's design as its unwrapped from a towel at the field. Manny is too busy now a days with his homework but will slap together a Carbon nightmare IX a few hours before he walks out the door (That will get all the electronics prepped in Tim's trailer the day of the race) I would guess Crazy Jim is ready too. He is most likely mixing up a batch of rum and fitting his eye patch, laying low waiting to see what everyone else brings out. Then he will reveal his space cowboy 98 and spank us all. Jim S, he is counting all his sparky grains like Ebenezer Scrooge counts money. He just cant decide how many to burn at once. Wildman....he is still trying to find someone with small enough hands to rebuild his first Mach Madness rocket (38mm MD with Black hawk 24 fins....sweet!!) We should all hope and pray that he never gets that thing ready because I don't think we stand a chance against that thing. As for Gus, you can count on a show, he will run the best show south of Midwest Power.

Counting down the days

(I'm going on a cruise before the launch and I think I'm more excited about the launch.....pretty sad)

Jason

John,

I, for one am sitting quietly waiting to accept my mach madness trophy, my rockets are prepped and I have all my motors. As far as the Sparky drag race, I just got my AMW M2200 (the last one in existence....right, Manny??) If I know Tim D, he is working night and day perfecting the design of his mach madness rocket, only to reveal it's design as its unwrapped from a towel at the field. Manny is too busy now a days with his homework but will slap together a Carbon nightmare IX a few hours before he walks out the door (That will get all the electronics prepped in Tim's trailer the day of the race) I would guess Crazy Jim is ready too. He is most likely mixing up a batch of rum and fitting his eye patch, laying low waiting to see what everyone else brings out. Then he will reveal his space cowboy 98 and spank us all. Jim S, he is counting all his sparky grains like Ebenezer Scrooge counts money. He just cant decide how many to burn at once. Wildman....he is still trying to find someone with small enough hands to rebuild his first Mach Madness rocket (38mm MD with Black hawk 24 fins....sweet!!) We should all hope and pray that he never gets that thing ready because I don't think we stand a chance against that thing. As for Gus, you can count on a show, he will run the best show south of Midwest Power.

Counting down the days

(I'm going on a cruise before the launch and I think I'm more excited about the launch.....pretty sad)

Jason

Okay Jason, let's get this straight. My rocket will be started AT LEAST 8 hours before I leave the house. I'll glue all the plates and such at Uncle Gus' house. Right now, my MM rocket is at the same point it was 3 months ago.....just a tube. I probably won't win if everyone else survives, that's why my plan is to sabotage the competition.....mwuhahahahaha! You're right though, I have been too busy with homework and hockey, and I still need to make enough bank to pay for a big sparkie to play in the "shortest length" race, remember, its not the altitude you get, its how you get there ;). The worst part, is that whenever I have had any free time lately, I'm not motivated and just sleep.....

Last edited:
Hi! It's the "Thing" that put in a long 16 hour night in his Semi and, crawled back home to answer your humble questions!:eyeroll:

Now, before i fall asleep over my laptop....i will have to say without a doubt that i feel that the 7.5" rocket thing is pretty much a mute point.....ONE individual really had a line on winning it from the get-go (Jim) and, i feel that we could (Jim) stir up a big pot of trouble here (Jim) going this route.

I would like to point out that at this time we do have TWO confirmed contests planned and, approved by the Indiana Rocketry Board at our last meeting....two weeks ago.

The first is.....

1. Farmageddon 2013 of course!:smile: Pay us $20...Fly as many times as you want ALL weekend...Build a rocket to go FAST out of anything...cardboard, glass, carbon...etc...Fly it on any propellant, commercial or EX in ANY size...DON'T break the Wah-v-Air (Or Big Vic will put you in the Dunce chair.) Return said "wonder of physics" to the RSO table in RE-FLYABLE condition...Have "Cashmeister" watch you download your ACCLEROMETER based data for recording.
Excepted Altimeters include....ARTS, Jolly Logic, Marsa....anything that has ACCEL based recording...even the Ra.....:mad:Raaaa:mad:RAHRAHHHH:mad:

Yah, even "that" #@$%'n thing.

Win a Trophy and, bragging rights for the year too come.........

2. The Loraine Garrot Memorial......"Most Memorable Flight Award." New to our event but, done so in honor of the passing of our Landowner and, her continuing effort to promote education amongst our younger crowd.
There is NO cost to enter...Just be 17 years or younger and, fly something any day of the event that makes all 7 members of the Board go..."That was friggin AWESOME!!!" (Jim Fields daughters heat seeking Estes rocket would have been the winner two years ago if we did this back then....)(But, don't scare my a** like that again...) Something neat, something different or just WOW!!
Plague in honor of Mrs. Garrot will be awarded to the winner.

Until good friend of the club Darryl Hankes (Wildman Ky.) finalizes his plans... i feel that these are our two best bets for good fun competitions. We are still patiently awaiting word Darryl, let us know when you have the price(s) finalized.:smile:

On the subject of Farmageddon......I feel that there are MANY bright minds working on this right now as we speak and, i fear that my young protege will no doubt push the limit even further this year....

Let me put it this way.

"If he doesn't rip the fins off that hypersonic marvel of engineering, lay down a monstrous LOMBARDI SLAP onto the ground with which his creator so loving.....'created'-duh...thus releasing a toxic cloud of minerals and, vitamins....quite not unlike his own physical make-up.....":surprised:

I'd be damn surprised.

Now Jim.....don't think i'm singling you out for NOT coming up with a good idea....Maybe just a mass "Skiddy" launch or something to whiz off our friends in the Wolf Sanctuary to the south of the field. (If your rocket goes beyond the fenceline.....don't yell at me.)

You really don't want to see two off duty truck drivers nose to nose arguing over "details" do you?

"I've got 3-2 odds on Peependorffenscheiser over there!" "I don't know, Vito Southern Scalapini is doing a good job of kicking bean stalk all over him!"
That would'nt be cool....

Arguing with a Truck Driver is like wrestling a pig in mud......
1. You don't make any headway.
2. The Pig enjoys it more than you do.
3. You learn that the Pig....knows a thing or two about mud.....

On the subject of MUD....

Some of you know that i cut the cord on my TRA member email inter-forum due to what i refer to as "Unnecessary Rudeness directed at personal friends of mine......"

If a really nice man comes across your (TRA)emails....explaining that he wants to have a private dinner for all the USLI mentors down in Huntsville Alabama this year.....Please send it to me.

It will be time to put operation "The Waxed Monkey" in effect....

That's right, ME....(Purdue), "Yo BOBBY" Dehaite....(MIT), Darryl "I've got another brother named Darryl" Hankes (U of K...Louisville) and, Mark "Honest officer, i'm innocent" Joseph ( U of I....Champaign) are going to hop into Le'-Challenger and, play hookey down at the "Blue Moon.":tongue:

Heeeeellllllllooooooo Ladies.... The "Rocket Boys" are back in town! Lookey....A big stack of crisp one dollar bills......:surprised: brrrrrpppppp.......We brought our score cards too!
Now do things to that pole that defy gravity!!:y:

WOOT! WOOT!!

Last edited:
Gus,
I will get the pricing sometime this week and will announce it when I here something back.
Definitely looking forward to USLI this year. I got 2 teams again (UofL and WKU).
We will definitely get together for a little mischief.
Darryl

No skid drag race? Do I understand correctly? :confused:

That's what it sounds like to me to Jim. Either way Jim, I have a few 7600 skids ready for the show. You and me can have a skid race (as long as we are all ready at the same time, I can't see them saying no to a few impromptu races. I will bring some "booty" to add to the pot. I did like that idea. Gunna be a great launch either way. Looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back