THUNDERSTRUCK 2013 DRAG RACE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason, you have an 8" rocket -- stuff a 75-7600 in that Gizmo!

I built mine stock (per directions) and it only holds 32" of motor. I did not extend the motor mount tube. I have no intentions of changing it because I can still put 10,000 newtons of a 98 load in there.

-Jason (waiting for Manny to reply with his plans to put an N5800 in his)

Coupler & 2ft of airframe. Glue or rivet coupler into extension. Add extension onto av-bay via rivets..... problem solved.

100_4191.jpg

Now ya'll got me into the drag race fever.

Hey Jason, still got your Space Cowboy?
Anyone else with 54 minimum?
2 grain fliers choice, that'll be over 8,000. Good warm up for all the other stuff.
Nice flights without spending all day looking for them.

Arrggg........
Little bit of science needed to win.

Jim, if your talking 2 grain 54mm MD - you know I got the rocket for that race. And 10,000' plus is more like it. ARG I'm in for whatever pirate booty to be had there mate.

Mike

Ok,here is my "Unofficial " Thunderstruck 2013 drag race. Hit me up either here or PM to get on the list. Everyones invited. I will donate an Aerotech K1275 to the winner. Gonna do an upgraded version of last years "low and slow". Here are the rules.

Rocket: any 7.5" rocket
Motor: any 75mm/7600ns (8000 for the Loki fans) Skidmark.
I will also allow homebrew sparkies,Spitfires and Black Lightning motors.
No,The L900 doesnt Qualify!!

Lowest recorded altitude wins,and yes,you have to have full deployment. Think of it as a cert flight. I will enter my Starleopard on an M2200 Skid,about 80 pounds loaded. Let the Trash talking begin!!!

Gus, do I need to do anything to make this an "official" event??

I have an Idea. What if you were to set guidelines for each motor diamiter, and that way anybody, no matter what the cert level, could participate. For example, say 24mm motors must be 3" diamiter, 29 must be 4", 38 must be 5", and so on. This would be much more spectcular, because you could have upwards of 100 rockets flying, all on skidmarks.

Ok youse monkeys listen up......As the President of the Chicago Rocket Mafia.....I have a say but, not the overall call on this one....That's to be left up to "The Don" himself.....That's Claude......

"Don" Claude.....I humbly submit my proposal for a Saturday Afternoon Skidmark Drag Race at Thunderstruck 4.... To be called....

"Skidmark Saturday Six-Thou. Shootout....."

Da tentative rules are.
1. ANY 6"-8" Rocket can fly.
2. Da rocket must fly on a Commercial "M" Skidmark Motor.....No L's....no N's..
3. Da rocket CLOSEST to 6000' wins...Youse can go under, youse can go over....
4. Da rocket MUST dual-deploy.....must be returned to the RSO table in re-flyable condition and, altimeter call out recorded....
5. Youse DO NOT need to be a "Made Member" of da CRM (but, it helps.....)

NOT like i needs an answer right now....Oh wise and great "Don" Claude but, please take my offerings for consideration......

This could get uglier than the Valentines Day Massacre......:bangbang::bangbang:

I have aligned myself with Da "Hot-tub" cause when you do dat.....you get the "Lumberjack" toos........"Two BIG fun loving guys who like to fly rockets!":smile:
I have left a message with Timmy "Chi-Town Hustler" Lehr to possibly build a 7.5" or 8" Dark-Star in case honorable "Don" Claude feels otherwise on size..
I have located a virgin AMW M-2200 Skidzilla...

I patiently await your call on this "Little Situation" oh wise and respected "Don" Claude.:eek:

Oh and, Timmy ( "Big Bucks") IF YOUSE EVER CALL ME A "PHUSHKY" againnnnnnnn..........Why i ought'a.....Hey, are you going to make it for the Sunday Pizza Party? If not i can drop off the Loc Rocket on my way to Urbana Sat. night....
You know we fight but, we still love each other like brothers......:sigh:

Three button suits, double breasted.....and fedora's optional.......:bangbang: "Brother what a fight it really was, brother what a sight it really was......glory be!........The night Chicago died........":bangbang:

How about for us lowly Level 1 (hopefully to get Level 2 @ Thunderstruck) fliers we have a flat top drag race. There was a recent thread about flat top rockets so I thought to promote them how about a flat top drag race.

• No Spools (too easy)
  • Any H-I sparky motor
  • First Rocket to land wins
  • Must have full safe deployment
  • Possible extra bragging rights for lowest recorder altitude (don't want to require altimeter for entry).

entry.gif
(not my picture :lol:)

Norm

Gus, Its all good. Wanted to keep things pretty much even. Wanted to keep in the 75/7600 case, but the Pro75 6XL qualifies. I wasnt limiting it to Skids,Spitfires and Black Lightning will also qualify. Aerotech has nothing in this range. Maybe we can get CJ to make us some thermite ignitors. I say if a guy has a homemade concoction sparkie thats in the 7600 case,go for it. If anyone wants to use the CTI M2050,I hAVE 2 7600 complete motors and the hubcap,I can loan out 1 case.

Now youse gotta "open da books" so I can join the "Family", capice?? I want my name on the next CRM shirt!!

Jim,

Count me in IF 6" can play. I found an M2200 and would like to stuff it in the Ultimate Darkstar...... Besides, I need to prove that thing can fly on more than just Albino Assault "N"s

I will probably use an M2050 skid since I have a 75/7600 and a hubcap. My Gizmo hit 6114' on the M2200, so it's going to be tough to beat.......and Jason, there is no chance that my rocket will fly with an N5800, considering I don't have $2000 to pay for a case and motor, that's why I'm going down the EX road........

Gus, Its all good. Wanted to keep things pretty much even. Wanted to keep in the 75/7600 case, but the Pro75 6XL qualifies. I wasnt limiting it to Skids,Spitfires and Black Lightning will also qualify. Aerotech has nothing in this range. Maybe we can get CJ to make us some thermite ignitors. I say if a guy has a homemade concoction sparkie thats in the 7600 case,go for it. If anyone wants to use the CTI M2050,I hAVE 2 7600 complete motors and the hubcap,I can loan out 1 case.

Now youse gotta "open da books" so I can join the "Family", capice?? I want my name on the next CRM shirt!!

Jim, help me out here... I went back yesterday and looked at my stash of reloads/motors. I have an M2050SK (not an M2200) and two 75-7600 motors (well, one complete, one case). I am not a Cesaroni flyer but had picked up the M2050 on a good vendor sale, in any case, the M2050 is certified for the AMW hardware and the website document lists "spacer optional" and no other requirements... Where does the hubcap come in?

View attachment 110576

I have provided some feedback to Gus relative to the rules. Nothing final, just some thoughts.

I am leaning more towards less restrictions. Set an altitude goal, make it M-class-or-above sparky motor, let the rocketeer decide which diameter rocket would be best to achieve that goal. Maybe someone can have a great combo of an N sparky with, say, a 10-inch rocket. You never know, and that will keep everyone guessing... It will also make for some interesting trash talk in the next couple months :)

For those of you wanting a "level 1" drag race: nothing says there can be only one sparky drag race... Be patient, and stay tuned.

Last edited:
Let's change the altitude to one mile--the Sparky One Mile Massacre has a better ring to it!

(of course, massacre as homage to the "Family")

I have provided some feedback to Gus relative to the rules. Nothing final, just some thoughts.

I am leaning more towards less restrictions. Set an altitude goal, make it M-class-or-above sparky motor, let the rocketeer decide which diameter rocket would be best to achieve that goal. Maybe someone can have a great combo of an N sparky with, say, a 10-inch rocket. You never know, and that will keep everyone guessing... It will also make for some interesting trash talk in the next couple months :)

For those of you wanting a "level 1" drag race: nothing says there can be only one sparky drag race... Be patient, and stay tuned.

Jason,the hubcap provides a nozzle carrier and an adjustable forward closure. Best piece of hardware CTI ever released IMHO

OK as a truck drive with ALOT of windshield time every day,I came up with this today. And I think its a great idea. Even though I started this, and things have drastically changed from my original ideas,I am ok with everything so far IF you will grant me the following ideas.

1. Everyone,and I mean EVERYONE who enters this event MUST donate to the kitty(booty for you Pyrates). I dont care what it is,from 1$ to infinity,youse gotta put something in the pot. I have already donated a K1275 reload. All the other rules I am ok with.

2. Instead of a mass drag race style launch,is it within the rules to have a volley type launch? Instead of losing the great effect on all those sparkies at once,lets stretch it out. I see it like this.

LCO says ok,here we go,name,rocket,motor go,name rocket motor,go name rocket motor go!! Do this until all the birds are in the sky. I think that will be asskicking for the spectators,if this is allowed.

Winner gets first pick of one item from the booty,and closest next and on down the line. What do youse guys think? I really hope we can do it this way!!

Jason,the hubcap provides a nozzle carrier and an adjustable forward closure. Best piece of hardware CTI ever released IMHO

Sorry, that statement really tells me nothing...

I received a nozzle with my M2050... it sounds like you are saying that to use the nozzle in the AMW 75-7600 I need the hubcap to hold it (even though the hubcap is not shown in the instructions). Second, it sounds like you are saying there is a second piece to the hubcap that is placed near (or in conjunction with) the AMW the forward closure--so two pieces to the hubcap?...

I don't know why the heck Cesaroni doesn't have instructions for the hubcap, its usage or even the product description on their website?!? No where to be found on www.amwprox.com either...

Quick and simple.....

The hub cap allows you to use CTI reloads in snap ring hardware. Crazy Jim did a pretty good thread on it when it first came out.

The reload uses the stock nozzle and it just sits up against the snap ring.

Quick and simple.....

The hub cap allows you to use CTI reloads in snap ring hardware. Crazy Jim did a pretty good thread on it when it first came out.

The reload uses the stock nozzle and it just sits up against the snap ring.

Jason, so even though the M2050 is certified for the AMW 75-7600, it is only really so if you use an extra piece of hardware, the hubcap? And the supplied Cesaroni nozzle must be used instead of my AMW nozzle. So you are really only using the case?!? and leaving the nozzle and forward closure aside? In other words, not at all like the Aerotech KBA reloads that fit exactly into snap ring hardware and use existing nozzles and everything. I had actually thought that the application of the hubcap was to use any Cesaroni reloads in AMW hardware, not Cesaroni reloads that were specifically certified for AMW hardware, but maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited:
I had actually thought that the application of the hubcap was to use any Cesaroni reloads in AMW hardware, not Cesaroni reloads that were specifically certified for AMW hardware, but maybe I'm wrong?

You sir are correct. I have never used any 3" CTI loads designed specifically for AMW hardware,so I dont know how they go together. On the 54,you need a nozzle carrier for the CTI nozzle,but you must use the AMW forward bulkhead. And how did you miss this? https://www.pro38.com/pdfs/AMWPro75_Adapter_Instructions.pdf

Last edited:

Ok......Listen here "Scallopini......" I got news for yah.....We don't normally allow Truck Drivers into our family. WHY? I'll tell YOUSE why.....

1. Bad teeth.
2. Needs a bath..
3. Talks the talk that makes a sailor blush...
4. Lots of opinions.....blah.blah....blah....

Ok, i've thought it over....From now on youse will be known as Jimmy "White Line" Scarpine........Weeeeellcome to the family.....:cool:

Ok.....I made a little trip to Chicago today and, paid a visit to "Don" Claude.....We talked over some fine gelato in hushed tones at the back of a small bowling alley....somewheres in Naperville........

Now, i echo some thoughts laid out in my lap.....We open this to rockets flying on M's AND N's......Skiddies of ALL types....EX, CTI, AMW, Aeroschmuck and even Gr....Gr.....Grilla...:mad:

We open this up to a safer height.....maybe 8-9-10k...

6" minimum........NO MAX "DIME."

Youse just hit the mark.....ONE PREDETERMINED MARK........

Lets talk.

You sir are correct. I have never used any 3" CTI loads designed specifically for AMW hardware,so I dont know how they go together. On the 54,you need a nozzle carrier for the CTI nozzle,but you must use the AMW forward bulkhead. And how did you miss this? https://www.pro38.com/pdfs/AMWPro75_Adapter_Instructions.pdf

Well, I did look at that .pdf and copied the chart on my earlier post. When it had an X in the column and row, I thought it meant I didn't need anything and could use the straight AMW hardware.

Dat ting won't even hit mile on an "M" :lol:

Ok......We place a "Fedora" on the ground.....and, closest to the "hat" wins.......*capice* but, its gotta be BIG,LOUD and throw SPARKS *double capice*.

Back