THUNDERSTRUCK 2013 DRAG RACE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just like the Cray I never pick up the phone :( Sorry, I owe ya a call!

In my day we didn't have all that fancy...schmantzy "internet" stuff.....We communicated with our voices....:surprised:

I just wanted to sing you "Soft Kitty....":tongue:

See you on Sunday.....or i'm coming into to town.....looking for you....

Ok,Here it is Wildman Kentucky drag race special. For $135 you get PRO54 4G case, aft closure,and K2045VMAX motor. Retail is $205.90 for a savings of $70.90.
Closest to 4500' wins a free PRO54 4G reload of choice. Limited number of entries so get in while supplies last. These will be delivered at the field.
Thank you in advance to all that want to play.
Darryl

Count me...the Giz & some Mayhem IN!

Of course I reserve the right to EXAMINE all entries & deem them "worthy" or not.
I will be looking for things like: a nose cone, one or more fins, some type of airframe other than bamboo & recovery other than a 12 x12 nomex. [that's reserved for me]

Last edited:
Jason,Steve,CJ I got you guys down for one. The jarts we had left are now gone and there are only 2-3 reload specials left. Get in while you still can before they are gone.
Thanks,
Darryl

Jason,Steve,CJ I got you guys down for one. The jarts we had left are now gone and there are only 2-3 reload specials left. Get in while you still can before they are gone.
Thanks,
Darryl
Thanks Darryl! My Jart will be patiently awaiting that K2045.

I was wondering if there will be any launch towers on hand at Thunderstruck 4 for launching Mach Madness rockets with no rail buttons (lugless)? Does anyone know the adjustable range for these? Or is everyone expected to bring their own tower?
Thanks, sorry for the basic questions but my first Thunderstruck and first button less rocket, I am to hoping to finish my 54mm min diameter to launch there.

Two weeks left till Thunderstruck. I have 2 Drag race reload specials left.
You gotta be in it to win it,so make sure you get in while you still can.
Thanks,
Darryl

I was wondering if there will be any launch towers on hand at Thunderstruck 4 for launching Mach Madness rockets with no rail buttons (lugless)? Does anyone know the adjustable range for these? Or is everyone expected to bring their own tower?
Thanks, sorry for the basic questions but my first Thunderstruck and first button less rocket, I am to hoping to finish my 54mm min diameter to launch there.

John, sorry i missed this one awhile back.....
If you have not located a small "tower" launcher yet....i have word from Victor Barlow that he will have his "Bucket O' Concrete" launcher there....It is a very simple Five Gallon Pail...concreted with three electrical conduit tubes that he use's when he launches his 54mm minimum dia. (It works quite well!) and, is easily replicated by anyone who needs to build a tower in an afternoon for their own rocket combo....Just bring a rag/some WD-40/ and, a few extra rubber bands to loosely tie the upper poles together and, hit the button.

YOWZA!!:lol:

Simple, cheap, works......available.....

Last edited:
I wanted to find out more about the tower bucket launcher. I need to figure out something to launch my Mach madness rockets at thunderstruck next week. Does anyone have any photos to post or can email me? I would like to see the design so I can maybe try to build one. How do you keep the conduit together at the top, rubber bands? Does the rocket fins just simply break the rubber bands at the top or slide them off, can the rubber bands get hung up on the rocket slowing it down ?

I wanted to find out more about the tower bucket launcher. I need to figure out something to launch my Mach madness rockets at thunderstruck next week. Does anyone have any photos to post or can email me? I would like to see the design so I can maybe try to build one. How do you keep the conduit together at the top, rubber bands? Does the rocket fins just simply break the rubber bands at the top or slide them off, can the rubber bands get hung up on the rocket slowing it down ?

Hey John, just saw your post after getting back from work.....I tried to find a picture on the Indiana Rocketry forum of Vic's 54mm Goose going off his homemade pad to no avail.....I KNOW its out there.

Ok, here's the parts list.

1. One bucket 3-5 gallon whatever works and, is available.
2. Three pieces of about 1" dia. EMT tubing. (That galvanized tubing you see wiring run in and, out of.:)) oh about 6-8' in length.....
3. One (more optional) hose clamp big enough to wrap itself around previously said conduit.
4. One bag of Quickrette or suitable fast drying concrete.
5. Some masking tape....at least an inch wide.

Take one rocket and, wrap one/two layer(s) of tape around the diameter about every six inches up and, down its length.....Take all three Conduits and surround your rocket(120 degrees apart of course.).....then tape the conduits/rocket in a position NOT to move while "hugging" your rocket..
Take the hose clamp and, secure it to one of the three tubes so that when tightened down it makes a quick and, easy "Stopper" for your rocket.(Clamp screw drive position on the inside.....Hey their cheap...get a few.)
Now set the whole shebang upright in the bucket.....approx. in the middle.....secure it upright....mix and, pour concrete....Make sure nothing "leans" over while its drying.....
Come back later when everything is dry....release outer tape holding conduits/rocket.....tilt "Stand" over and, slide Rocket out. Remove tape on Rocket before it becomes permanent.

When doing a four fin rocket....use four conduits of course....

Works real well......You can even drill 3 or so holes around the bucket rim and, secure with some good line/rope to tent stakes to provide some extra Anti-tilt protection...

Use some WD-40, Silicone Wax, Pam cooking spray to protect/grease the rails before Rocket insertion.....tilt upright, make sure everything is stable.....wrap a few THIN rubber bands around the dia./top of the rails right around nosecone shoulder area....Start electronics and, insert igniter.

Stand Back.

Remember the Stand will weigh as much as you put concrete in it......use your judgement for stability though 30-40#'s should be safe.....Safety first.

Are the rubber bands going to hinder the Rockets flight in those first few feet? Not unless your EMT tubing is bent......Or you put MONSTER bungee around the rocket......Just enough tension to straighten it out.....

Pretty much my when i hit that firing button.....will your rocket fly straight, true, fast and, on to victory? I'll let my friend here answer that question.View attachment 123857

Helpfull? Yes....
Cheap/Easy to do? Yes....
Subtle? Never.....i hate being "PC"
Get about six Mountain Dews in me and, its PARTY TIME!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the "bucket" tower help, especially to Victor B. who was nice enough to take time and email me some photos. Really appreciate all the help! Today I machined up a similar “tower" concept except I machined it out of an aluminum tube, was very similar to the 3 conduit bucket concept. I will use rubber bands for the top to keep from flexing like the conduit will and attach strong multiple rail buttons to slide in an existing 1” rail launch PAD (the thought of carrying a 40 pound bucket of crete around with me made me want to use an existing launch pads with rails for the heavy base) I am posting the design here in case it can help anyone, was easy and quick to make. The aluminum tube was purchased from McMaster-Carr supply for like $30 bucks and I just used a 3/8" end mill to machine out the 3 slots. I will have it Teflon Anodized to hopefully minimize friction.

LAUNCH TUBE 1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ya'll,sorry for last minute request but I had issues while assembling my M2200 the other day. If anyone has a spare 75/7600 motor they could bring "just in case" I cant get these issues resolved onsite I would be forever in your dept. The issues were there seemed little to no resistance while installing the nozzle and bulkhead. Yes CJ,I put the supplied o-rings on them. I am hoping maybe different o-rings might make things "feel" better. See ya'll Friday.

Assembled big Skid drag race motor this morning (M2050SK). Unfortunate pain though, CTI supplied ignitor is too short so will have to jury-rig.

20130403_061953.jpg

Hey Ya'll,sorry for last minute request but I had issues while assembling my M2200 the other day. If anyone has a spare 75/7600 motor they could bring "just in case" I cant get these issues resolved onsite I would be forever in your dept. The issues were there seemed little to no resistance while installing the nozzle and bulkhead. Yes CJ,I put the supplied o-rings on them. I am hoping maybe different o-rings might make things "feel" better. See ya'll Friday.

Jim-

I'll bring my spare 7600 hardware for you if needed.

Preston

What case is that? Is it a CTI load in an EX case?:confused:

Yep, the M2050SK is a CTI produced AMW compatible reload. You do need the CTI nozzle carrier though for this set up. This particular case is the AMW 75-7600.

Back