THUNDERSTRUCK 2013 DRAG RACE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know what the plans are for this years Thunderstruck 2013 drag race or any special group launch that will be happening there?
I would like to participate as I had a great time building/launching my Gizmo in the last MWP drag race. Also I just received My Cert 3 at MWP this year so I am ready for the next big project(s).
Regards,
John Olevich

I don't believe the "official" drag race(s) has been announced as of yet (no Drag Races button on the webpage). Look though for the Mach Madness contest to continue again this year (3 day open contest; contestants attempt to fly the fastest rocket without breaking the waiver of 22Kft; judged by downloaded alt data).

Wildman Kentucky will be holding a drag race at Thunderstruck. K2045 VMAX in the %" gizmo or 5" Jart.
Will know pricing around mid Feb.
Darryl
ky.wildmanrocketry.com

I don't believe the "official" drag race(s) has been announced as of yet (no Drag Races button on the webpage). Look though for the Mach Madness contest to continue again this year (3 day open contest; contestants attempt to fly the fastest rocket without breaking the waiver of 22Kft; judged by downloaded alt data).

And, that we will......again with even better trophy and, prizes to all who compete in the event.
For the Wildman Ky. drag race.....as of right now i have not discussed/heard of any drag races but, this will be brought up at my little annual dvd/pizza party next Sunday.....and Darryl....I think its a KILLER IDEA!

Overpowering little rockets....hmmmmm.....MY kind of fun!:grin:

Ok,here is my "Unofficial " Thunderstruck 2013 drag race. Hit me up either here or PM to get on the list. Everyones invited. I will donate an Aerotech K1275 to the winner. Gonna do an upgraded version of last years "low and slow". Here are the rules.

Rocket: any 7.5" rocket
Motor: any 75mm/7600ns (8000 for the Loki fans) Skidmark.
I will also allow homebrew sparkies,Spitfires and Black Lightning motors.
No,The L900 doesnt Qualify!!

Lowest recorded altitude wins,and yes,you have to have full deployment. Think of it as a cert flight. I will enter my Starleopard on an M2200 Skid,about 80 pounds loaded. Let the Trash talking begin!!!

Gus, do I need to do anything to make this an "official" event??

:eek:

Obviously would like to run it by the rest of the board but, i think its a great idea Jim!

See folks, your opinions/ideas count and, i would like to hear some more ideas......We don't have to limit ourselves to only 1-2 or 3 competitions.......

1. Mach Madness is a given.....It's here too stay and, i can't wait to see some of the great ideas you all have...
2. Good friend Darryl wants to do a CTI K-2045 drag race and, he's willing to sponsor it.....great!
3. Jimmy's got a good idea.....and, i'm partial to Skids....bonus!

Now......what can we do for our fliers that hold only an L-1 cert? Hmmmmmm......ideas anyone? Please speak up....make it fun....make it different....throw me/us a bone.....

If it was me it would be.......Red-headed women....wearing bikini's....flying BIG Skidmark "N" motors in BIG Rockets......:tongue: Jenny? I think you'd win hands down on that one!!:lol: Mike's sooooo going to hurt me......:surprised:

Speak up if you've got an idea people.....we are always listening and, we need some lead time to establish the prizes with our vendors......of which if your a vendor and, want to come on out..... please feel free to contact us.

We haven't turned anyone down yet!:)......(Except a food vendor.....horse meat....YUK!)

Last edited:
I'll put one or two of these up for grabs for someone who want's to use one for the Mach Madness Competition in an appropriate MD rocket.
.... that is, if something similar isn't certified for sale by then.
Or maybe someone would like it in a larger 54/2800 version?
38_1200_4g_28_Kn281_484_78F.jpg
TC_38_1200_6g_28_78F_Oct.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mach Madness is an "open field" competition. No?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mach Madness is an "open field" competition. No?

You are correct Scott, the field is open to rockets flying on Commercial and Ex. motors of ALL impulse ranges.
The beauty of it all is that.....you could win the whole thing with an "H" motored rocket!:surprised:

Last edited:
I'll put one or two of these up for grabs for someone who want's to use one for the Mach Madness Competition in an appropriate MD rocket.
.... that is, if something similar isn't certified for sale by then.
Or maybe someone would like it in a larger 54/2800 version?

All I can say is that you better bring a stout rocket when Scott gives you a motor. I flew one of the 6g 38's in the MWPX Pirate drag race and it shreaded my rocket at ~500 feet.

Ok,here is my "Unofficial " Thunderstruck 2013 drag race. Hit me up either here or PM to get on the list. Everyones invited. I will donate an Aerotech K1275 to the winner. Gonna do an upgraded version of last years "low and slow". Here are the rules.

Rocket: any 7.5" rocket
Motor: any 75mm/7600ns (8000 for the Loki fans) Skidmark.
I will also allow homebrew sparkies,Spitfires and Black Lightning motors.
No,The L900 doesnt Qualify!!

Lowest recorded altitude wins,and yes,you have to have full deployment. Think of it as a cert flight. I will enter my Starleopard on an M2200 Skid,about 80 pounds loaded. Let the Trash talking begin!!!

A "Big Skid" drag race--I'm in! I was looking to do a Skid on my next (maybe final) flight of Hope-N-Pray. Although, a draggy rocket, I'm probably not a winner at 69 lbs loaded on an M2200SK.

5221290554_7e664641df_b.jpg

A "Big Skid" drag race--I'm in! I was looking to do a Skid on my next (maybe final) flight of Hope-N-Pray. Although, a draggy rocket, I'm probably not a winner at 69 lbs loaded on an M2200SK.

View attachment 110385

"Concrete" the nosecone......:lol:.....100lb's "fully loaded."
Might have too use MORE BP on the low side though...........Chute's coming out ANY minute now...cmon...cmon...cmon....BAHBOOOM!!!!:surprised: Deeeeployed!!

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that the more you weight down the AMW M2200 the LOUDER, MEANER and, GROWLY'R:rolleyes: it becomes? Kind of like it reaches down....grabs the rocket by the n*t's and, let's out a sound loud enough to wake the dead......Maybe its just me.:D

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that the more you weight down the AMW M2200 the LOUDER, MEANER and, GROWLY'R:rolleyes: it becomes? Kind of like it reaches down....grabs the rocket by the n*t's and, let's out a sound loud enough to wake the dead......Maybe its just me.:D

Yes Don Gustov.

I always thought the loudest, throatiest, sparkiest, crowd please'n flights I ever had with M-2200 skids were in my original "Gone Banana's". That version was a 7.5 model.
Big honk'n rockets just make that motor, fight, grunt & growl to force that wonderful sound out the nozzle. Showering sparks and titanium debris in every side direction, rather than a narrow tiny stream following some skinny, undeserving hipster flavor of the day.

Hell,ya got me thinkn now.....hmm I STILL HAVE that rocket. Hasn't flown since that rapscallion "who shall remain nameless" drag raced me 5-6 yrs ago and it crashed with only minor repairs needed. [ I think]

Might just get out the remains and stare at them awhile. Maybe they will "talk" me into RESURRECTION of one of the finest examples of what M-2200's were MADE for.

Oh what A way to start the new year with. OK ...I thought about it.

Hell.................... I'm in either way....one of the 2 Banana rockets will fly! They were made for this stuff.:dark:
Scott K..... will that motor fit in a Loki case.? I still have a nozzle & closure [AMW]

We need the "WildMan" in on this one!

Tim.....oh Timmy.....I "challenge" you to a drag race.

Don Gus.....tell him he ain't coming unless he's fly'n.

This will be the most remembered crowd please'n race/flights of the event......I guarantee!

The last greatest gathering of the M-2200 Skidmark legacy!
Now it's official.

M2200 Skidmark drag race part 2383.JPG

Last edited:
Ok......so i left Tim speechless on my dissertation of how an M2200 sounds.
Let me bring it down to a level that both maybe he and, i can relate to.

Tim? Did you ever have a pair of racoons get under your porch over there in "Yugaville" during mating season?
Ok.....now take a recording of this...condense it down to 3.1 seconds....drop it down two octaves and WHALAH!

M2200 Skidmark........"If i only had one reload to fire over and, over again it would be this one.....it truly is an evil animal!View attachment 110399
Photo credit: TDK Propulsion.

Now ya'll got me into the drag race fever.

Hey Jason, still got your Space Cowboy?
Anyone else with 54 minimum?
2 grain fliers choice, that'll be over 8,000. Good warm up for all the other stuff.
Nice flights without spending all day looking for them.

Arrggg........
Little bit of science needed to win.

Tim you might win.....lowest altitude !@#$$##@

Yeah, funny! :kill:

Haven't had a mishap yet with this rocket, although at LDRS30 (its third flight) I blew out a grain on an Loki M2550 and cracked the nozzle--my heart skipped a beat or two on that one...

Last edited:
Tim? Did you ever have a pair of racoons get under your porch over there in "Yugaville" during mating season?
Ok.....now take a recording of this...condense it down to 3.1 seconds....drop it down two octaves and WHALAH!

Well, no... A raccoon doesn't stand a chance around our house... My deadeye wife shoots them on site.

Yeah, funny! :kill:

And now I'll reply for CJ... "I'm funny how, I mean funny like a clown..." (in his best Joe Peschi voice sitting around the Chicago Rocket Mafia table...)

[video=youtube_share;E84VqqCPI7w]https://youtu.be/E84VqqCPI7w[/video]

Last edited:
N
Although, a draggy rocket, I'm probably not a winner at 69 lbs loaded on an M2200SK.

Tim you might win.....lowest altitude !@#$$##@

Jim you rascal you!:lol: I hit "post" looked up and, you snuck two posts in while my dyslexic hands were working 100mph.....

Remember this? Still sitting on the wall of my office framed up......NSL 2007 in "Yo Muncie Ah!" Indiana.
1. First page is some guy (Gus Piependorffenscheiser) flying his Hawk Mtn. Beast on an AMW L666 Skid.
2. Page two is Timmy, Gusser and, The Great One himself.....next to "Nana's" and, then a GREAT shot of "Nana's" getting with the program!
View attachment 110401
Also the SCAM crew with Dennis and, Mikey flew that AWESOME upscale Acme Spitfire on an AMW M1730 Skid.....

That was a good day......

Last edited:
Now ya'll got me into the drag race fever.

Hey Jason, still got your Space Cowboy?
Anyone else with 54 minimum?
2 grain fliers choice, that'll be over 8,000. Good warm up for all the other stuff.
Nice flights without spending all day looking for them.

Arrggg........
Little bit of science needed to win.

oh yeah, I still got the Cowboy. Sounds good to me. I would also like to play with the big skiddys too. I would have to use a 6" rocket though.........Hey Scarpine!!....can I play too??

I to can say that I have witnessed the AWESOMNESS of an M2200 in a big draggy rocket. I would love to play, but I don't have a 7.5" rocket, would you make an exception for an 8" Jim?

I haven't hung the picture of my L3 because I can't fine room on my wall. Oh well, I'm moving out in a few month anyways....

Also, I have been doing alot of "sims" around here on my mystery size mach madness rocket. I will be going the EX route on this contest, and preliminary sims are saying that saying that it should hit around mach 2.8. I will begin the real contruction as soon as my order of special carbon fiber gets here. This year's contest promises to be really interesting! :dark:

frame.jpg

Last edited:
N
Remember this? Still sitting on the wall of my office framed up......NSL 2007 in "Yo Muncie Ah!" Indiana.
1. First page is some guy (Gus Piependorffenscheiser) flying his Hawk Mtn. Beast on an AMW L666 Skid.
2. Page two is Timmy, Gusser and, The Great One himself.....next to "Nana's" and, then a GREAT shot of "Nana's" getting with the program!

That was a good day......

Yes I do, yes it was a GREAT day & you saved it for me when ya brought your pad. Otherwise the flight would have never happened.
That sure was a nice pad set-up, ya still got it?

I have a high resolution pic of that one with the 3 of us framed also. Great minds think [or try to] alike!

If I remember right....ya just missed the paved parking lot and some serious road rash on that beautiful paint job. Still got that rocket or did it succumb to Guster antics?

And now I'll reply for CJ... "I'm funny how, I mean funny like a clown..." (in his best Joe Peschi voice sitting around the Chicago Rocket Mafia table...)

WHOOOOA....I switch over to the phone to take a picture off of it to post here and, you two little monkeys are at it again with my back turned.......:surprised:
Dang it! I DON'T have a 7.5" Rocket or you BOTH would be in SERIOUS trouble......

Ring...Ring....

"Wildman Rocketry, Your ONE stop rocketry shop.....How can i help you?"

#$@%'n 7.5" ROCKET KIT!!!!

"GUS!! Whats going on...?"

#$@%'n 7.5" ROCKET KIT.....#@$%'n NOW!!

"You need a what? YOU Don't have a 7.5" rocket? A 7.5" DARKSTAR?"

Rawwr rah rah......ROAR rah rowr.........Tim rahrah.....Jim rahrahrahRAHHHH!

"Oh, Timmy and, Jimmy are throwing *Poop* at each other again?"

Ra....

"I'll see what i can do......." *click*

You both are soooo much in trouble...........:jaw:

If I remember right....ya just missed the paved parking lot and some serious road rash on that beautiful paint job. Still got that rocket or did it succumb to Guster antics?

I still have the upper half.....the lower end took too many beatings.....easy to re-booster it someday down the road......:sigh:

oh yeah, I still got the Cowboy. Sounds good to me. I would also like to play with the big skiddys too. I would have to use a 6" rocket though.........Hey Scarpine!!....can I play too??

Great... this is shaping up to be the "year of the drag race" . Guess I'll get some more pyrate vinyl ready. Ya race....ya get the badge of honor.
Looks like there might be some Pyrates showing up.

Hey guys.... I just got off the phone with Tim. How would ya'll like to see the ''MEGA DARKSTAR" fly on that monster "P" motor? Jackie & I say it's a go..... Tim's waffling a bit... so much stuff to bring to do it, he's pulling a mamby pamby land.

I think if we can get him some help & take the load off getting the Mega and a pad, to ThunderStruck to fly it off, we can talk him into doing it.

Now THAT would put some THUNDER in ThunderStruck & make it a "you can't miss this event"

We got the waiver....we got the field.... we got the rocket. Now we got to get it there!

Who's in?:y:

PS.. Hey there's a lot of those Black 3in DarkStars out there.....howd we forget them? They need to have their wings strecthed... I say....yep ya know what's coming....DRAG RACE! I'm throwing down the gauntlet.... whose in?

Picture 3.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to play, but I don't have a 7.5" rocket, would you make an exception for an 8" Jim?
SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda;453651 Dang it! I DON'T have a 7.5" Rocket or you BOTH would be in SERIOUS trouble...... [/QUOTE said:
Hmmmm..... Don Gustav....that's an easy one.

"now accepting 6...7.5 ....8 in rockets for the race"

problem solved.

Oh this is getting ugly quick. I think I got Tim & his Ultimate into play also!

"Hey Jeroen.... I need some BIG skids for a drag race"

Last edited:

Jason, you have an 8" rocket -- stuff a 75-7600 in that Gizmo!

Back