Estes Renegade-D build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzie

Reaction score
I had this kit lying around for quite some time. With winter holiday season, there gotta be a rocket built. Here goes build thread for Estes Renegate-D.

1.JPG

Are you going to build it stock or two stage? Or clustered...

I`ve been thinking of buying this kit for some time ,so this build thread will be of much use .

Lots of pictures please !

Cheers

Paul T

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 111
Wow ,very nice pictures.I think I`ll get one ,it`s such a cool looking kit.

Happy building

Paul T

All fins are in place now!

Observation: the kit calls to glue 3 fins to lower body, then 3 fins to upper body, and then join the two with a coupler. Unless the fins on lower & upper bodies are attached at precisely the same angles, they will not align when the two bodies are joined. Perhaps a better solution, tools permitting, would be to first join body tubes and then glue fins, two (upper & lower) at a time. Or use a good fin alignment guide (plastic one from Estes is not great).

Anyway, I managed to get them just right and here are the pics:

7.JPG

8.jpg

9.JPG

a.JPG

All fins are in place now!

Observation: the kit calls to glue 3 fins to lower body, then 3 fins to upper body, and then join the two with a coupler. Unless the fins on lower & upper bodies are attached at precisely the same angles, they will not align when the two bodies are joined. Perhaps a better solution, tools permitting, would be to first join body tubes and then glue fins, two (upper & lower) at a time. Or use a good fin alignment guide (plastic one from Estes is not great).

Anyway, I managed to get them just right and here are the pics:

My goodness man ,I had no idea this kit and the fin arrangement was so complicated ,I like it !! This indeed a handsome looking piece of kit ,and your pictures explain the alignment of fins very well.

Nice work

Paul T

The quality of your pics is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Looking good.

Primed and sanded the rocket. Ready for painting tomorrow.

Another observation: if side tubes are attached to rocket body before painting, then painting around side tubes will be a challenge due to close proximity of the fins. It will result in either white spots around the tubes, or paint overrun on the fins. So, I will paint them first, and glue them after.

b.JPG

c.JPG

Looking real good azzie.Nice build thread and thanks for including your observations.
That wil help others when they build this kit.

Very nice! Love the way you do your pictures.

On a side note, was there a reason why estes cahnged this to a single stage rocket vs the original two stages?

If you thought aligning 8 fins is tough, try spray-painting outdoors at 30F and 15mph wind ! And when you're almost done, wind gust covers your rocket with snow from the nearest tree... Sand, repeat :)

Here's the progress for today. Decals tomorrow!

d.JPG

e.JPG

f.JPG

love the foam in the outside end tubes. Looks so sweet all black.

I have been warming my paint and running to the garage to paint this last week. Bring inside to dry. Darn snow.

Last edited:
It's a beauty!

Launched today at CMASS. Nice flight! Strong wind dragged it across the field, with hard landing in the middle of frozen brook behind the trees. Recovered it an hour later, along with another two rockets!

g.JPG

h.JPG

i.JPG

j.JPG

Back