The Squirrel-works.com....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody check out the site? I really like most of the rockets they offer. Does anybody here have one in their collection yet? They look to be a fairly new site. I wish they had some MPR's to offer.

Its been around for a while. He offers some really nice products combining good quality and interesting design. He sometimes posts here under the name "Secret Squirrel"

Don's a cool guy, he has some great kits, and he's always working on the next one. You'll like what you get from him.

I have several of their kits. All have been fun builds and great flyers. I've got more in my queue to catch up on...

+1 on Squirrel Works

Nice kits, well designed, great instructions, great service.

Don periodically posts teasers about new designs he's working on, too.

-Kevin

Yo Bloomsburg ! BSC class of '79 here.

I have a Gremlin and a Dogfight which are both quality kits and great flyers. If I'm not mistaken, Don and the squirrels are celebrating 10 years in business. A Squirrel Works rocket almost always finds it's way into the sky at the monthly DARS launches. Can't go wrong with anyone of them that strikes your fancy.

100_0723.jpg100_0737.jpg

Couldn't find a Dogfight picture but found some old Gremlin shots.

Yo Bloomsburg ! BSC class of '79 here.

I have a Gremlin and a Dogfight which are both quality kits and great flyers. If I'm not mistaken, Don and the squirrels are celebrating 10 years in business. A Squirrel Works rocket almost always finds it's way into the sky at the monthly DARS launches. Can't go wrong with anyone of them that strikes your fancy.

View attachment 109752View attachment 109753

Couldn't find a Dogfight picture but found some old Gremlin shots.

Nice pictures, I may have to add one or two to my rocket collection..I'm a little lost on the BSC? I can't think of any schools in/around Bloom with tho initials...sorry!

tuberface.jpg

When I first saw this kit I wondered why it was designed with the fins on the booster and the tubes on the sustainer. IMO it would look cooler the other way around with the swept back fins nestling along the tops of the cut fin tubes.

After building and launching my 2 stage version of Estes’ “Space Eagle” I think I have figured out the reason. With tube fins on the booster there is pretty much no tumble for tumble recovery. The booster on my rocket comes down ballistic.

Nice pictures, I may have to add one or two to my rocket collection..I'm a little lost on the BSC? I can't think of any schools in/around Bloom with tho initials...sorry!

Bloomsburg University was Bloomsburg State College when I went there (and Bloomsburg State Teachers College before that and Bloomsburg State Normal School before that). Anyway it says Bloomsburg State College on my diploma.

I have three of their rockets but have not gotten around to building any of them yet. Currently I own the Tuber, Space Research Vessel and The Acorn.

I've been wanting to pick up more of their Sci-Fi series but every time I look at the sight they are out of stock. I'll get lucky one of these days.

I have the Arapahoe, Police Call Box, and the Too Cool for Spool. All nice kits. The Arapahoe is a classic design.
I loved my Arapahoe E. But it was unstable with an E12 motor; I hadn't checked the center of gravity, assuming the kit maker had taken care of that concern. Nope. Totally destroyed.

I have thought about trying to clone an replacement, with plastic nosecone and tail assy, but haven't gotten around to it. A replacement kit is pretty pricey. :( DSC01984.JPG

I loved my Arapahoe E. But it was unstable with an E12 motor; I hadn't checked the center of gravity, assuming the kit maker had taken care of that concern. Nope. Totally destroyed.

I have thought about trying to clone an replacement, with plastic nosecone and tail assy, but haven't gotten around to it. A replacement kit is pretty pricey. :( View attachment 582111

I can see how that might be unstable with the fins that far forward and the weight of an E in the tail. Beautiful rocket you had there.

I have thought about trying to clone an replacement, with plastic nosecone and tail assy, but haven't gotten around to it. A replacement kit is pretty pricey. :( View attachment 582111
It definitely requires a lot of nose weight. I haven’t actually built the kit, but I built an upscale using Semroc LT225 tubes and balsa parts. I think the nose cone is more weight than balsa. What a bummer on what happened to yours.😟. My upscale flys great on G motors like G64 or G80. It also does well on small H like H54.

I was thinking about a 3” version using the Big Red Max nose cone as the tail, and the Big Daddy nose cone. Too much other stuff on bench right now.

I like your paint scheme with how you reversed the colors on the fins.

re: Arapaho-E stability.
Mine went slightly squirrelly on the maiden as well. 😉 I added some lead shot and have 5 nominal flights so far.
IMG_0878.jpeg
IMG_0876.jpeg

I don't have the exact weight of the shot I added but my cone weighs 38 grams. That puts the cg at 17 1/2 inches from the tip with an E12. Flies like a dream.

Last edited:
Its funny that the directions don't mention noseweight, and doesn't provide any. That minor detail would have been helpful. I just can't see spending that kind of money on a replacement kit these days.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I've been out if it for a while, a few life issues. But back into it, last time I was recovering from an injury and just buying and buying, so I have a lot left to build from even 10 years ago. Picked up some more stuff today from Hobby Lobby, last Monday I picked up an Alpha III launch kit to keep me busy while I'm staying at the place I am until I get to my house and storage stuff with my other rockets.

Attachments

• 20230522_114012.jpg
    20230522_114012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230529_103859.jpg
    20230529_103859.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Awesome, I will! I got out of it for a bit, but back in again. I just can't get to my good collection. So I'm starting a smaller one now, I need something to build!! Glad to see your still around!!
Be pro-active. Take a hammer and a crow bar over and get the area accessible to where you're stuff has been barricaded. It won't take long. Give them a fair notice.

Be pro-active. Take a hammer and a crow bar over and get the area accessible to where you're stuff has been barricaded. It won't take long. Give them a fair notice.
Yeah, most of the stuff is buried with their crap in front of it. I can hardly walk thru my room. Not a happy dude. But I'm supposed to be ok with it.

Latest posts

Back