Build Contests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upscale defined as? Assuming it's an upscale of something that has been marketed at some point in the past or present as a kit by a manufacturer - is that about it?

Clarification - does this need to be a true upscale - ie scaled precisely by some ratio - or can it be a looser upscale - where the scale of certain parts may be adjusted to allow the rocket to be built from available parts and to allow for greater flight safety should the upscale be of suspect stability?

Good question. I am ok with loose upscales. It does have to fly safely. Ie successful flight.

so an upscale of the Estes version Wac Corporal (complete with offset wiring conduit) would be acceptable...but not one where the conduit is in the right location because now it is a downscale of the original, in which case the upscale would have to be over 17' long...:). methinks my goblin fits the catagory.
rex

so an upscale of the Estes version Wac Corporal (complete with offset wiring conduit) would be acceptable...but not one where the conduit is in the right location because now it is a downscale of the original, in which case the upscale would have to be over 17' long...:). methinks my goblin fits the catagory.
rex

I want to see a 2x upscale Saturn V :y: all 726 feet of it!! :wink:

Krusty

How did I miss this thread? That's what happens when you get old. Guess I'll have to get my up-scale scratch built out to the sky this weekend? for pics. I hope. There is already a build thread for it somewhere in all this mess, lets see, where did I put it? MPR? Scratch Build? Crap. It's here some where:lol:
Yep, here it is: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41885-Estes-Up-Scale-scratch-build
Now where are my car keys?:confused2:

Last edited:
I am glad to see come interest building. I hate to see this topic die.

Got my new camera today. Now I just need a Micro SDHC card :p Oh, well, payday is a week away but I'll be getting a card from here in the US.

3 weeks shipping from China is just too long in this case.

I have my upscale nose cone but no body tubes yet.... Just waiting for them to ship and then I can get started!!!

Krusty

Is a RalphCo Crayon Bank now considered a loose upscale of the new Estes Crayons, or did Estes just join in with a rather cool money making downscale of a common scratch build?

No way I could build an up scale in one month. I'm what you might call a slow builder.:sigh: I would however be willing to judge if you are looking for someone to help out?

TA

I liked the idea of "altimeter bay"!!

One comment though, I have seen quite a few 'build competitions' on other forums that specify that the entry has to have been completed within the last 3 or 6 months, or that it is a current build when the competition starts. I like this idea, as it encourages people to forward their current builds, or even start a new one. It also steps away from the possibility of people who have been in the hobby a long time entering undeniably beautiful items, but, items that were built X years ago.

So.... can the next contest have the caveats of 'current build' or 'completed in previous X months', to encourage people to BUILD!!

Back