Build Contests

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I know Pantherjon use to do one on here. Why did they stop?

Bring it back, I miss it too. After all, it is the building season!

Basically what will happen is there will be a posting opening the contest. Enter by posting pictures of a rocket in your collection that fits into that months 'theme'(Sci-Fi, Odd Roc, etc). At the end of the entry period all the submitted rockets will be put in a poll for the Best Rocket of the month. Members of TRF will vote which one they think is best, winner will get a prize and bragging rights that they had the Best Rocket of XXXX Month.

Guys,

I have talked to Pantherjon and Troj. I will restart the contest. Give me a month or 2 to line up kits and sponsors. If I am unable to get sponsors, I will sponsor it myself. Anybody have ideas for a theme for the first build contest in say February? I am all ears.

I have no theme ideas, but I'd gladly ship a prize to the first winner.

I appreciate that guys. Lets formulate a theme and rules.

Rules:

1) Do you think every entry should have a build thread to be eligible?

2) Should it have a successful flight?

3) Should a user also submit a rocksim or open rocket file?

Rules:

1) Do you think every entry should have a build thread to be eligible?

2) Should it have a successful flight?

3) Should a user also submit a rocksim or open rocket file?

I'm speaking as me, not for TRF:

my memory of past usage (which may be flawed) is that the rules were set for each contest, many carried over but not all the time. Some entries predated TRF membership so build threads were not possible. I like the idea of requiring a successful flight unless the competition is purely a decoration one like "who has the best paint job?". The only thing I would shy away from is the requirement of a RS or OR file. Some people don't use that software. Of course, in the month's theme was best RS design, you would need one.

I think it boils down to YOU. What do you want to run? I would suggest checking with sponsors to see if they have any particular desires as well.

JAL,

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree. I was not set on the RS or OR file. That was a way around the successful flight.

Im with John. Build thread optional, OP or RS file optional, but IT HAS TO FLY (succesfuly). Glad you brought up this thread Chuck. I always enjoyed seeing other peoples creations and even entered a time or two myself.

Last edited:
Ok,

Ground rules:

1) A build thread

2) A successful flight

3) optional for OR or RS files.

Any other rules?

How about scale space ships or missiles as the first theme?

I think the rules you propose are a good framework but be ready to be flexible, depending on the contest.

Also, for a while PJ was running multiple concurrent contests. One would be for LPR/MPR and the other for HPR. Sometimes they would have the same theme, sometimes not.

I also think that if you get sponsors for prizes, they should have some input. Not control, just input.

I think a fun idea would be "That will NEVER fly!"

For scale, if you do that, I got one picked out already.

Another rule that used to be followed sometimes is that entries could not have been entered before... or maybe could not have won before. I don't recall which.

When I get home and have time, I'll try to find some of the original thread rules for you.

iirc the only consistant rule was that it had to have a successful flight. #2 was a model could only be entered once per catagory...an honest john might be entered a scale, or military rocket, or if it got trashed and repaired/rebuilt the phoenix contest(proof of damage).
don't really see the point of a design file for say an estes kit build(oop bird perhaps)...for a scratch build now...:)
rex

I think I won the last one, so maybe I'm the one that killed it?

One thing to keep in mind. I seem to remember that sometimes in the past there would be difficulty in getting enough entries on a given month to make it exciting. When you are deciding on "the rules", realize that the more strict guidelines there are, the less entries you will get. If you narrow down the guidelines too tightly (ie, must be this theme, this motor size, this color, these materials, and you must have a RS/OR file, a successful flight, a build thread, and a video of the flight), in all likelihood you might only have one or perhaps two people that meet the criteria that month. Yes, have a specific theme or challenge for each contest, but don't make it so narrowly defined that it becomes exclusionary. Oh, and definately allow old rockets - if the contest is only open to brand new builds, you will really limit entries.

I'd definately like to see the contest return. It was fun.

Some possible themes? -
-Best AV bay
-Best Paint job
-Best upscale or downscale
-Best kitbash
-Stupidest idea that actually worked
-Best use of non-rocketry component
-Thinking ahead a bit, perhaps you could make a (very simple/inexpensive) materials list, and everyone has to use just those bits. Judge the best or most creative design.
-Another similiar challenge using the same type of materials list, but also specify a motor (BP would probably be best) - judge the lightest rocket that successfully flies.

I realize that some of these suggestions are counter to what I said in the main paragraph above, but I'm just spitting out ideas (it doesn't mean they are GOOD ideas!).

s6

I like these:
Some possible themes? -
-Best AV bay
-Thinking ahead a bit, perhaps you could make a (very simple/inexpensive) materials list, and everyone has to use just those bits. Judge the best or most creative design.
-Another similiar challenge using the same type of materials list, but also specify a motor (BP would probably be best) - judge the lightest rocket that successfully flies.

I think I won the last one, so maybe I'm the one that killed it?

One thing to keep in mind. I seem to remember that sometimes in the past there would be difficulty in getting enough entries on a given month to make it exciting. When you are deciding on "the rules", realize that the more strict guidelines there are, the less entries you will get. If you narrow down the guidelines too tightly (ie, must be this theme, this motor size, this color, these materials, and you must have a RS/OR file, a successful flight, a build thread, and a video of the flight), in all likelihood you might only have one or perhaps two people that meet the criteria that month. Yes, have a specific theme or challenge for each contest, but don't make it so narrowly defined that it becomes exclusionary. Oh, and definately allow old rockets - if the contest is only open to brand new builds, you will really limit entries.

I'd definately like to see the contest return. It was fun.

Some possible themes? -
-Best AV bay
-Best Paint job
-Best kitbash
-Best use of non-rocketry component

I realize that some of these suggestions are counter to what I said in the main paragraph above, but I'm just spitting out ideas (it doesn't mean they are GOOD ideas!).

s6

I like there ideas. That was a top notch post.

I will think over the holiday and post my thoughts. We will start in February. I will post the theme on 1 Januarymso you have a month to think.

Last edited:
How about 3 levels:

1. New members/beginners: no build threads, for members 6 months or newer.

2. Intermediate: build threads, members with memberships from 6 months to a year.

3. Pro's: Multiple threads/level certs, members with 1 year min membership.

I was looking for old contests and found several, right on the first page of this section. You can see how PJ handled things. Of course, you need to handle them so it works for you.

I like the idea of different divisions, etc but the problem of running, sponsoring and generally handling multiple contests each month is not a task I would wish on anybody. It is probably harder to get sponsors that way also.

I think a single contest each month, you can vary the criteria, would be best to start with.

I was looking for old contests and found several, right on the first page of this section. You can see how PJ handled things. Of course, you need to handle them so it works for you.

I like the idea of different divisions, etc but the problem of running, sponsoring and generally handling multiple contests each month is not a task I would wish on anybody. It is probably harder to get sponsors that way also.

I think a single contest each month, you can vary the criteria, would be best to start with.

Thanks. I am going to probably do a easy on for the first month. Av- bay

Chuck I would keep the rules flexible. The contest organizer (you) can provide them at the start of each contest. In particular, requiring a build thread may rule out some good categories, such as Vintage/OOP or Estes classics, both of which a rocketeer may have from 30+ years back--beautiful rockets that fly, but pre-dating the (general availability of the) Internet, they have no build thread.

I would like to see a fantasy scale/"what if" alternate future theme.

This contest thing sounds fun! :)

Back