Mini Eagle Claw mod for Dual Deploy - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaranta

Reaction score
Next up... The new Wildman Mini Eagle Claw.

I like dual deploy so I have decided to modify her for Dual Deploy.

With the kit I ordered an extra length of body tube for the payload section (15") and a coupler tube (8"). Since I'm going to "design" the mods as I go, I ordered the parts longer than necessary, and will cut to needed length during the build. I also plan to shorten the sustainer tube if space allows.

I'm using a Slimline motor retainer (also shown).

Here are the parts (after a thorough bath):

EC 001.jpg

Last edited:
1st issue: Motor retention...

In the Mini Eagle Claw Specs thread...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?45044-Min-Eagle-Claw-Specs

There is discussion of the motor retention options (friction, estes style, aeropack, slimline,...)

I have decided to go with Slimline. Extend the MMT out the back of the boat tail. No modifications to the parts... Simple / secure.

Here's the look (dry fit)

EC 002.jpg

EC 003.jpg

EC 004.jpg

EC 005.jpg

Is that the Slimline retainer from Giant Leap? Which altimeter will you use?

Is that the Slimline retainer from Giant Leap? Which altimeter will you use?

Good Morning Jim!

Yes. Giant Leap Slimline Quicklock 29mm.

I'm going to use the Adept22. I'd prefer to use a smaller battery than a 9V,... but the price is right on the Adept22's... The battery is the compromise. My BH29DD ended up in a canal... I'm glad I had an Adept22 in that! Until I need more complex features... I'm sticking with the Adept22's.

Good Morning Jim!

Yes. Giant Leap Slimline Quicklock 29mm.

I'm going to use the Adept22. I'd prefer to use a smaller battery than a 9V,... but the price is right on the Adept22's... The battery is the compromise. My BH29DD ended up in a canal... I'm glad I had an Adept22 in that! Until I need more complex features... I'm sticking with the Adept22's.

Good morning to you too, sir! I ordered a Slimline retainer for my Astrobee-D, but never used it. It fit really loose on the 29mm motor tube, and with a 29/180 case in it, it didn't catch very many threads. I was not impressed with it. I too am going with Adept22's for my dual deploy flights. I have one for my Milestone, and I also bought an Adept22 and a DDC22 for the X-Plane. The DDC22 will be for redundant backup.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...atch-build-the-Astrobee-D&p=339355#post339355

Good morning to you too, sir! I ordered a Slimline retainer for my Astrobee-D, but never used it. It fit really loose on the 29mm motor tube, and with a 29/180 case in it, it didn't catch very many threads. I was not impressed with it. I too am going with Adept22's for my dual deploy flights. I have one for my Milestone, and I also bought an Adept22 and a DDC22 for the X-Plane. The DDC22 will be for redundant backup.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...atch-build-the-Astrobee-D&p=339355#post339355

Mine was loose on the BT as well. I added 2 wraps of kids construction paper covered with long set JB weld to fill the gap. Construction paper really soaks up the glue and equalizes the gap keeping the retainer centered on the MMT. The bond is still plenty strong for motor retention.

I didn't test a case in the retainer prior to install... I just assumed it would be fine. Guess what I'll be doing after the glue sets!! (the glue has tacked up at this point so might as well let it go at this point and hope for the best!)

I have CTI 29mm 6/3/2/1 Gr cases... (was your case AT/RT (Rouse)?)

Edit: followed your link. Interesting that it varied with the case... Based on your pics, I think I'll be OK with the CTI cases / closures.

Last edited:
Tested CTI 29mm cases in the GLR Slimline. Perfect fit. No issue at all.

Next up... CR's and Shock Cord bonded to MMT.

I notched the forward CR to accept the Kevlar. I swapped out the ~ 10' of Kevlar (shown in 1st pic) that came with the kit for 14' of slightly smaller (1/8" / 750#) Kevlar (shown in bonded pics. This was sourced from Fuddrucker a few weeks back).

EC 006.jpg

EC 007.jpg

EC 008.jpg

Last edited:
MMT section now put aside to cure overnight.

Now to decide on airframe dimensions...

I don't want this rocket to be the space challenge that my BlackHawk-29 Dual Deploy (shortened from stock) is... so I'm leaving some margin in my sections. I'm building to accomodate a 29mm 6Gr case.

Dimensions will be as Follows:

Body tube will be shortened 3". Stock BT = 22". Total BT length = 19". (Note this is only the 38mm tube).

Av Bay Coupler is currently 8". I'm shortening this to 7". This will house an Adept22, Featherweight Magnetic Switch, and a 9V battery. There will be a 1" switch band on the Av Bay Section (thus 3" intrusion into both the sustainer and payload sections).

The Payload Section is currently 15". I'm cutting this to 12".

Net result... my version will be 10" longer than stock.

Just thinking ahead...

The CNC nose cone is beautiful... but it is heavy. 4.9 Oz.

The stock version may need the extra weight in the nose,... but I suspect my lengthened Dual Deploy version will not. I'll probably swap this out for a light weight nose cone. Final decision will be made on sim file once I get a little further along. Early sim results show that I'm good with the lightest NC I can find.

Last edited:
I would expect the nosecone was selected deliberately due to the forward fin area of the Eagle Claw/Talon design.

Just thinking ahead...

The CNC nose cone is beautiful... but it is heavy. 4.9 Oz.

The stock version may need the extra weight in the nose,... but I suspect my lengthened Dual Deploy version will not. I'll probably swap this out for a light weight nose cone. Final decision will be made on sim file once I get a little further along. Early sim results show that I'm good with the lightest NC I can find.

Tubes cut. Ends sanded square.

Main BT now = 19".
Payload Section = 12".
Av Bay Coupler = 7"
Switch Band = 1"

EC 009.jpg

I would expect the nosecone was selected deliberately due to the forward fin area of the Eagle Claw/Talon design.

That's my assumption as well... Especially with the larger 29mm motors.

Well that's it for today. Tomorrow I'll sand the fins and get the BT bonded. I'm deviating from the instructions a touch here... in that I'm going to bond the BT before doing any fin work. My hope is I'll still have great fin alignment,... but I'll have an easier time hiding the seam between the body and the boat tail.

Last edited:
Check your fin slots when installing the tailcone. Either my BT slots or tailcone slots were off a smidge. If I had just laid out one slot line then one fin would have been pretty far out. I laid out all three slot lines and then was able to cheat each one and split the difference so its hardly noticeable. This may have just been my kit but I figured I'd let you know so you can check it out before you epoxy.

Check your fin slots when installing the tailcone. Either my BT slots or tailcone slots were off a smidge. If I had just laid out one slot line then one fin would have been pretty far out. I laid out all three slot lines and then was able to cheat each one and split the difference so its hardly noticeable. This may have just been my kit but I figured I'd let you know so you can check it out before you epoxy.

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on drawing alignment lines for each of the 3 fins, and rotating the BT to obtain the best fit (3 choices). I'll pay close attention. Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on drawing alignment lines for each of the 3 fins, and rotating the BT to obtain the best fit (3 choices). I'll pay close attention. Thanks again.

In the end I had the same experience. 1 slot was minimally off by perhaps 1mm. Careful positioning made it imperceptible. Having 3 alignment lines is key.

Here's the progress...

BT attached to MMT/Boat tail assembly. Current weight (with MMT and Kevlar) = 10.6 oz.

Switch band attached to Av Bay. Current weight = 2.8 oz.

Payload tube. Current weight = 3.4 oz.

Nose Cone. Current weight = 4.9 oz. At this point I've decided to swap nosecones for a light weight version.

EC 010.jpg

Fins have been sanded.

I haven't scuffed root surfaces for bonding yet (will do this after dry fit). Tail fins are asymmetric,... leading edges are marked to ensure correct installation.

EC 011.jpg

Next up... The new Wildman Mini Eagle Claw.

I like dual deploy so I have decided to modify her for Dual Deploy.

I had the same idea -- ordered a 4" coupler and 12" length of aiframe with mine. Afterwards I realized that the 38mm airframe on the MEC and the Wild Child have a thinner wall than the regular airframe. The nose cones that come with these kits fit fine, but I don't like the way the joint between the payload bay (purchased separately from the kit) and the nose cone looks. If you use a different cone, that won't be an issue for you, but you will still have a mismatch between the airfram and the e-bay.
I haven't decided what to do about it yet. I likely will try to get a piece of the thinner airframe from WildMan.

NikeMikey

Just buy another of the mini Wildman kits and you will have extra parts. You can buy another kit for almost the price of a tube and another nose cone.
gp

For this size rocket I'd rather have tracking than dual deploy.

I hear you. For MPR field, tracking isn't an issue. For my HPR field... it is.

But, the main reason I built this rocket was to have 2 DD rockets that I can fly at my MPR field. (My Black Hawk 29 is the other). Tool for the job I suppose.

I had the same idea -- ordered a 4" coupler and 12" length of aiframe with mine. Afterwards I realized that the 38mm airframe on the MEC and the Wild Child have a thinner wall than the regular airframe. The nose cones that come with these kits fit fine, but I don't like the way the joint between the payload bay (purchased separately from the kit) and the nose cone looks. If you use a different cone, that won't be an issue for you, but you will still have a mismatch between the airfram and the e-bay.
I haven't decided what to do about it yet. I likely will try to get a piece of the thinner airframe from WildMan.

NikeMikey

Interesting, mine are the same and fit perfectly. I must have gotten the same tubing as Payload section.

(I have pics but site won't allow uploads currently. I'll upload later.)

Next task... Av Bay construction.

Adept 22
9 V Battery
Featherweight mag switch.

Back